IGNORED

Final run for original Protector

Songbird

As mentioned in my other thread from a few minutes ago, I was running out of Protector boxes so it was time to get new ones printed. This was great because finally the Protector SE box and manual match the game completely! (I did not change the labels since I still have hundreds of stickers on hand, however.)

As many of you may know, I quit producing the original Protector when Prot SE was released, since Prot SE is (in my opinion) a superior game and I wanted Jaguar fans to know their original Protector carts would hold some value by limiting the run while offering Prot SE on an unlimited basis. However, over the years I have received several requests to produce more original Protector carts, which I have declined until now.

I have about two dozen original Protector boxes left. I have no plans as far as I can see to ever reprint these boxes. So, I am offering the fans one last chance to order an original Protector game cartridge complete with box and manual. This is identical to the Protector game released in 1999. The price is $69.95 plus shipping, just like it was in 1999 for those who pre-ordered the Songbird games.

If you would like to order one, please add your name to this thread. If at least a dozen people sign up, I will make one last run of carts in the next couple of months. Let me know if you have any questions. And long live the Jaguar! :)

As mentioned in my other thread from a few minutes ago, I was running out of Protector boxes so it was time to get new ones printed. This was great because finally the Protector SE box and manual match the game completely! (I did not change the labels since I still have hundreds of stickers on hand, however.)

As many of you may know, I quit producing the original Protector when Prot SE was released, since Prot SE is (in my opinion) a superior game and I wanted Jaguar fans to know their original Protector carts would hold some value by limiting the run while offering Prot SE on an unlimited basis. However, over the years I have received several requests to produce more original Protector carts, which I have declined until now.

I have about two dozen original Protector boxes left. I have no plans as far as I can see to ever reprint these boxes. So, I am offering the fans one last chance to order an original Protector game cartridge complete with box and manual. This is identical to the Protector game released in 1999. The price is $69.95 plus shipping, just like it was in 1999 for those who pre-ordered the Songbird games.

If you would like to order one, please add your name to this thread. If at least a dozen people sign up, I will make one last run of carts in the next couple of months. Let me know if you have any questions. And long live the Jaguar! :)

1013875[/snapback]

Yes. I'll take one in the next couple of months, guaranteed. (With any luck, I'll be taking a couple of others as well. :))

Feel free to browse the "Project" pages on Songbird for screenshots & other comparisons, but basically the original Protector was a harder game, although you could select Easy, Medium, or Hard for 10, 15, and 25 waves respectively. It also included an easter egg "Insanity" wave which was one insanely difficult (and unending) wave where you just compete for high score.

Prot SE of course introduced some new features, such as 16-bit graphics on special screens, JagFree CD, one integrated set of 40 waves, new music, new audio, etc.

If you're looking for a big challenge gameplay-wise, the original Protector has got some extremely tough levels... ;)

Hello Carl,

So, I am offering the fans one last chance to order an original Protector game cartridge complete with box and manual. This is identical to the Protector game released in 1999. The price is $69.95 plus shipping, just like it was in 1999 for those who pre-ordered the Songbird games.

Yes, a question.

Will these Protectors be the same physically as the original Protectors, or

share more in common with the Protector SE cartridges? i.e. will they include

the hardware to do the encryption/validation bypass, or will they be normally

encrypted or use the universal encryption/validation header?

On that note, are there differences between Protector SE's too? Are some

using the universal header and others using a game specific header? It's

probably an interesting point for collectors. For me, I'm more interested in

the reply for technical geeky development reasons, and just as a gamer.

Regards,

JustClaws.

I am deffinately interested. What are the main differences between the two, from the depths of my mind I recall SE being a bit easier than the original? Was there much of a difference?

Do I have to bring these on Sunday too???? It's the easiest way to spot the difference!!

Gaztee

:twisted:

Will these Protectors be the same physically as the original Protectors, or

share more in common with the Protector SE cartridges? i.e. will they include

the hardware to do the encryption/validation bypass, or will they be normally

encrypted or use the universal encryption/validation header?

On that note, are there differences between Protector SE's too? Are some

using the universal header and others using a game specific header?

1014043[/snapback]

Hi, Richard,

I won't be using any hardware bypass for cartridges like I did in the old days. So I guess from that standpoint, the game binary will be "different" since it will include the encryption header. However the "game" binary is 100% the same with no changes to graphics, audio, gameplay, etc. I stress that point only because I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to release a third edition of Protector here. Encryption change notwithstanding, this is the same Protector game.

All Prot SEs to date use the same encryption header. I had thought about making some minor alterations to Prot SE a year or two back but have not done so yet. One obvious change (which I may still do some day) is to get rid of the 93c86 and put in the regular 93c46 since I don't expect any CD game to ever use the extra EEPROM space. This would actually help me reduce costs by having fewer part differences between games, but it does require a code change of course.

How will we know that the magic number has been reached ?  emails? PM's ?

1014085[/snapback]

I will be sure to let everyone know when I'm doing the final run. I've received a couple of emails on this as well, but so far it's only looking like a half dozen folks are interested... so it may be a couple of months before I get to it.

I can vouch for how good this game is since I've owned it before. If you don't have it and love the gameplay of Defender, you're really missing out if you don't get in on this.

I sold my first copy long ago and regretted it. :/

Edited by vanadium

Just a question, is Protector really different then Protector SE gameplay wise?

And when looking at the screenshots, the original Protector backgrounds seem to look more realistic than SE, while SE looks more colorful....

I own Protector SE, but I was wondering if it's worth to buy the original one

Just a question, is Protector really different then Protector SE gameplay wise?

And when looking at the screenshots, the original Protector backgrounds seem to look more realistic than SE, while SE looks more colorful....

I own Protector SE, but I was wondering if it's worth to buy the original one

1016466[/snapback]

In general Protector is the more difficult game. Protector SE gets really hard in Waves 30-40, but Protector is just hard in general. The powerups are priced differently between the two games. And Protector has an Insanity wave which is really devious. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have not forgotten about this, however the final run is not ready, either. Back in the spring, we found a problem which caused Protector to not boot on the newer cart design we're using, and I have not had time to rebuild the code with the fix.

BUT next week I am setting aside some time to hook up the ol' dev kit and hopefully get this resolved without too much trouble. And who knows, maybe I'll have time to work on my smaller Mystery Project while I'm at it... ;)

Bottom line, please contact me if you are interested in a final run of original Protector carts. Once I run out of packaging, I have no plans to ever produce this cartridge again (I will continue to build Prot SE carts however).

The problem I referred to is actually a video boot problem - there was a bug in the video boot sequence in the original Protector carts, and apparently the hardware bypass we used when building the carts mostly masked the code bug. But now that we're using real encryption, the bug has reared its ugly head once again.

So, I just need a few hours of dedicated time to test the fix, and then I can move forward with the cart run. :)

The problem I referred to is actually a video boot problem - there was a bug in the video boot sequence in the original Protector carts, and apparently the hardware bypass we used when building the carts mostly masked the code bug. But now that we're using real encryption, the bug has reared its ugly head once again.

So, I just need a few hours of dedicated time to test the fix, and then I can move forward with the cart run. :)

I sent you a PM. I dont know if you got it or not but im interested in an original copy of Protector.

Thanks

Raven

• 3 months later...

I have not forgotten about this, however the final run is not ready, either. Back in the spring, we found a problem which caused Protector to not boot on the newer cart design we're using, and I have not had time to rebuild the code with the fix.

BUT next week I am setting aside some time to hook up the ol' dev kit and hopefully get this resolved without too much trouble. And who knows, maybe I'll have time to work on my smaller Mystery Project while I'm at it... ;)

Bottom line, please contact me if you are interested in a final run of original Protector carts. Once I run out of packaging, I have no plans to ever produce this cartridge again (I will continue to build Prot SE carts however).

Any word on this? I've faithfully been waiting since sending you my email awhile back!

Cheers,

Will M. (shakemeawake@fastmail.fm) :D