IGNORED

Final run for original Protector

Songbird

I've ordered several carts from Carl over the last few years, and all the Songbird stuff was sans shrinkwrap. Only a copy of Atari Karts came shrinkwrapped, obviously because it was an official release.

I have never shrinkwrapped my games. To give other sellers the benefit of the doubt, they are probably just trying to say they bought the game new and never opened it and therefore it's just as new as if you bought from me. It would be fun to be able to sell everything shrinkwrapped, but believe me when I say I don't need any more equipment in my house. ;)

I have never shrinkwrapped my games. To give other sellers the benefit of the doubt, they are probably just trying to say they bought the game new and never opened it and therefore it's just as new as if you bought from me. It would be fun to be able to sell everything shrinkwrapped, but believe me when I say I don't need any more equipment in my house. ;)

Carl, you know they make shrinkwrap thingy-ma-jiggers that are the size of a 8" by 10" piece of paper and really easy to use? Just thought I'd let you know.

:) ;)

Edited by superjudge3

Put me down for a copy, as I've never played either of the protector games. Do I need to have my jag modded with a bjl chip to play them?

because I have been trying to locate a chip to do so, and haven't been able to; anyone have some one they can sell me?

Put me down for a copy, as I've never played either of the protector games. Do I need to have my jag modded with a bjl chip to play them?
Nope, Protector and Protector:SE are standard cartridge games.

because I have been trying to locate a chip to do so, and haven't been able to; anyone have some one they can sell me?
The chip itself is a standard EPROM or Flash memory, you should be able to buy it in a (good) electronics store. But you also need access to a programmer to "burn" the BJL ROM image into the chip. You should create a topic about it in the Hardware forum, someone may be willing to do it for you.

Nope, Protector and Protector:SE are standard cartridge games.

The chip itself is a standard EPROM or Flash memory, you should be able to buy it in a (good) electronics store. But you also need access to a programmer to "burn" the BJL ROM image into the chip. You should create a topic about it in the Hardware forum, someone may be willing to do it for you.

yeah, I made a thread as you suggested, but no one seems to be willing to help.

I have used belboz's mod-less BJL downloadable CD image to run some BJL programs on my Jaguar, however,

I have heard that the actual console mod for Jaguar BJL offers more control, in BJL use such as specifying start/run address, detailed visual progress of uploads, 4 included demo games, and will still be able to boot regular cart/CD games if you hold down "B." Also, I've heard there is less trouble with uploads using a BJL chip modded Jaguar.

Michael Hill (belboz here on AA) is a great guy - very helpful and knowledgeable and I'm sure he could use his chip/eeprom burner to burn whatever type of boot image you want on a Jaguar boot rom chip, If you ask him to and pay for to/from shipping and of course supply a blank chip of correct type. He probably has the BJL image that will be placed on the boot rom. However, it's not really necessary to trouble him for just a BJL boot rom since Rick Deftleson has them pre-burned and ready for sale on his website in a BJL kit mod kit or just the chip itself. Rick's website is here:

More Than Games

You'll need to order the BJL adaptor he has too, to hook up the Jag to a Windows 95 or 98 computer ME & XP have problems with BJL. The chip goes over the top of the existing boot rom, so you don't have to take out the old one. You'll need to make a BJL cable though, a shielded parallel printer cable - a DB25 male to a DB25 female will probably work. Not totally sure, but I believe Cobracon here on AA made the BJL program set up with the 4 demos on it, while BJL itself was initially made by Bastian Schick.

Check out Mike's site too, maybe to give the BJL CD a try:

Hill Software

Matthais Domin has some BJL information on his site too and is full of cool Jaguar mods/programs:

MD Games

Edited by ovalbugmann

I have used belboz's mod-less BJL downloadable CD image to run some BJL programs on my Jaguar, however,

I have heard that the actual console mod for Jaguar BJL offers more control, in BJL use such as specifying start/run address, detailed visual progress of uploads, 4 included demo games, and will still be able to boot regular cart/CD games if you hold down "B." Also, I've heard there is less trouble with uploads using a BJL chip modded Jaguar.

Michael Hill (belboz here on AA) is a great guy - very helpful and knowledgeable and I'm sure he could use his chip/eeprom burner to burn whatever type of boot image you want on a Jaguar boot rom chip, If you ask him to and pay for to/from shipping and of course supply a blank chip of correct type. He probably has the BJL image that will be placed on the boot rom. However, it's not really necessary to trouble him for just a BJL boot rom since Rick Deftleson has them pre-burned and ready for sale on his website in a BJL kit mod kit or just the chip itself. Rick's website is here:

More Than Games

You'll need to order the BJL adaptor he has too, to hook up the Jag to a Windows 95 or 98 computer ME & XP have problems with BJL. The chip goes over the top of the existing boot rom, so you don't have to take out the old one. You'll need to make a BJL cable though, a shielded parallel printer cable - a DB25 male to a DB25 female will probably work. Not totally sure, but I believe Cobracon here on AA made the BJL program set up with the 4 demos on it, while BJL itself was initially made by Bastian Schick.

Check out Mike's site too, maybe to give the BJL CD a try:

Hill Software

Matthais Domin has some BJL information on his site too and is full of cool Jaguar mods/programs:

MD Games

Good points.

I am using the modification described over here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rdemming/Atari/JaguarBIOS/index.htm

Works great.

Here is another page descrining the modification:

http://www.a8maestro.com/sites/bjl/how-to-mod/mod.htm

I have not tested this version however.

Robert Demming's five way boot rom modification! That one is the best :) - to have 'em all in one Jaguar. That's the one I want to do :!:

Are all five Bios contained in one Boot-Rom or Two? (Stacked - like Matthias tutorial)

Actually, Robert Demming´s solution contains 4 different BIOS versions, the fifth one is the Jaguar original version. This means that the original PROM remains inside the socket and the second EPROM will be stacked. The toggle switch allows for selecting either the original PROM or the stacked one. Once chosen the stacked EPROM you use the 4 bits rotary switch to chose between the 4 alternate BIOS versions.

The 29F040 Flash ROM is pin compatible with the original Jaguar ROM but offers 4 times as much space and that´s what makes this solution possible.

Certainly the switches must be set before switching on the Jaguar.

It works great for me as I have the alternatives between ORIGINAL, BJL for uploading BJL files and STUBB for my Alpine. JagOS is interesting but I have no idea what to use it for. If someone can comment on JagOS and also knows what it can be used for, I´d be happy to learn more.

Hey, thanks for the information jaguar_fan, much appreciated. :) I'm a little unclear as to exactly what Stubulator Jaguar base units do, or are. As far as I know they just have a boot-rom that does not require encryption validation to run a program, and that's why you use it with your Alpine? Is this correct? If so, then Stubulator boot-roms just don't have the encryption requirements and that is the only difference between them and a regular production Jag boot-rom? Could you tell me the differences between Stub'93 & Stub'94?

I've just heard that some apps will only run on a Stub'94 like certain Jag flash card upload programs.

Any info you have or clarification will be welcome. thanks.

Also, I was wondering if the Stubs - '93-'94 have a onscreen visual indicator of some sort, so you can visually tell if your on the Stub setting and the differences between the two versions?

Edited by ovalbugmann

Also, I was wondering if the Stubs - '93-'94 have a onscreen visual indicator of some sort, so you can visually tell if your on the Stub setting and the differences between the two versions?

When a Stub Jaguar boots (and if you're not holding down a button to force a game to load), it shows you the Stub info including build date on the screen. So it's very easy to identify which version of the Stub you are running.

Hey, thanks for the information jaguar_fan, much appreciated. :) I'm a little unclear as to exactly what Stubulator Jaguar base units do, or are. As far as I know they just have a boot-rom that does not require encryption validation to run a program, and that's why you use it with your Alpine? Is this correct? If so, then Stubulator boot-roms just don't have the encryption requirements and that is the only difference between them and a regular production Jag boot-rom? Could you tell me the differences between Stub'93 & Stub'94?

I've just heard that some apps will only run on a Stub'94 like certain Jag flash card upload programs.

Any info you have or clarification will be welcome. thanks.

Hi ovalbugmann, I´m not an expert with respect to the Stubulator ROMs and their differences. I am mostly using the Stub ´94 when I am playing around with my 2 MB Alpine.

You can run a stubulated Jaguar like a normal Jaguar. With no Alpine inserted you can insert any cart to play it (even Jaguar CD works as ususal), but you will need to push a button on the Jaguar controller, to bypass the Stub. I think it´s the "B" button which needs to be held until the regular Jaguar / CD booth screen appears.

With Alpine board inserted the Stub ROM will show its version on the TV screen, so you know which version is running.

Edited by jaguar_fan

Thanks Guys :) , So basically a Stubulator allows you to boot a non-encrypted game on the Jaguar?

I don´t know for sure, but I think the logical answer to this is YES.

If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

The answer is yes.

Thanks for confirming :)