IGNORED

Did Ladybug ever come out for the Atari 2600?

BatmiteReturns

Scott,

I believe the reference you've cited isn't entirely correct. If Ladybug had indeed been realeased for the Atari 2600, then SOMEBODY would have a copy. But nobody does. From time to time, rumors circulate about that a mysterious somebody has a proto of Ladybug. They are unconfirmed rumors, yet they pop up frequently enough to lead me to believe that a proto of the game may actually exist.

Perhaps what Intellivision meant to say on their website was, "A version of Ladybug has been developed for the Atari 2600." I'd believe that. But there's just no way it could ever have been released. BIG name manufacturers do not release a finished product in so small a production run that NOBODY has a copy.

Ben

Ben,

I don't doubt that you're right... I was merely citing a source (agreed, one that has no particular reason to be reliable to answer this question) that said that it was.

I personally do believe they're wrong. I just wanted to see what other kinds of responses my link might elicit.

Frankly, I think it would've been tough to make a 2600 version of this, especially at the time when Coleco would've been working on it. I bet some tricks were discovered later that would've made it happen but looking at Coleco's other work from the period (Donkey Kong, Mousetrap, Venture), I don't see them doing it, at least, not doing it well.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Originally posted by BatmiteReturns:

Hmmmmm, a search on eBay brought up Ladybug for Atari 2600.

Could this be the Colecovision version as well?

Probably, eBay sellers are sometimes confused about what they have. Lady Bug was definitely not released for the 2600, that's a mistake on the Intellivision web site. I would agree with Pitfall Harry that they may have developed one, but we don't know. If there is a prototype out there, we don't know about it, but I wouldn't be shocked if one turned up.

Keep in mind that there was the hoax by Digital Press that had us thinking it WAS released, until Joe finally fessed up.

It always seemed like one that was likely to show up in proto form, but I can't say WHY I've always thought that. Read something somewhere that made it sound more likely than others??

• 3 years later...
confused...

coleco made Donkey Kong (whitecase), playable on the atari 2600 (i have the cart as i'm sure most of you do as well).... so couldn't you just get LadyBug and play it on the atari 2600?

986450[/snapback]

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at... but no, Lady Bug for the Atari 2600 was never released. Although Coleco released Donkey Kong for ColecoVision, Intellivision, and Atari 2600, they are all different VERSIONS of the game, programmed to work with those systems. They are not interchangeable.

They only made Lady Bug for ColecoVision and Intellivision, and going way back 3+ years to my first post in this thread ( :o ), although they had announced a 2600 version in some marketing materials, it was never released.

Edited by Room 34

If there were a 2600 version of Ladybug, Coleco would've sabotaged it like the others. Let's count our blessings!

CF

80705[/snapback]

I kinda like Venture.

986603[/snapback]

Venture was done by the Commavid guys, Coleco contracted it out to them. That's probably why it's better than most of the other Coleco games.

Tempest

If there were a 2600 version of Ladybug, Coleco would've sabotaged it like the others. Let's count our blessings!

CF

80705[/snapback]

I kinda like Venture.

986603[/snapback]

Venture was done by the Commavid guys, Coleco contracted it out to them. That's probably why it's better than most of the other Coleco games.

Tempest

986618[/snapback]

oh, ok. Interesting.

I think Mousetrap would be ok on the hardest settings if it wasn't so easy to get extra lives. I hardly ever play it because of it being too easy.