IGNORED

Another Proto Unearthed at NWCGE

GrizzLee

Another proto has come forward at NWCGE this year. More details as they develop.

Don't ask for the ROM just yet. Be patient :)

Thougt I'd share what I know... which is very little.

It is unfinished (a WIP) and I have yet to play it on real hardware.

The title of the game is uncertain.

Have fun,

-Lee

post-24-1142211508_thumb.jpg

post-24-1142211629_thumb.jpg

post-24-1142211641_thumb.jpg

Beehives and moneybags? And a gun? Odd combination.

Odd combinations like these are one of the reasons why I love classic gaming! Gaming used to be all about imagination and experimentation! Regardless of whether there was a manual, you could make up your own story and enjoy the game from your own perspective. Who else remembers the day when a game manual wasn't imperative to fully experience a video game? Whether or not there was a manual with a story, it was all about imagination and experimentation then; you could make up your own story!

I also love classic gaming because these lost gems turn up unnanounced - so mysterious! What the hell were these game authors thinking? What is the history behind these lost games? Perhaps we'll never know for sure. I like that. :-)

Edited by mojofltr

Ok gang,

The title on the EPROM says BEAR GAME 32K.

I was told it uses paddles. The rom is only 4K.

Perhaps an incomplete dump?!?

I tried the rom out on a 2600 and all I get is an animated screen of the Bear going back and forth.

Trying the all the switches (Reset/B&W/A&B/Game Select) has no effect on the game.

Neither paddle nor joystick works.

From what I can gather, if it is a paddle game, the objective looks to me to shoot the bear to make it change direction and/or move upwards.

It looks as if the screen would scroll that way. I suspect that one would have to avoid the Bee hives and try and gather money for score.

I am still trying to get more info about the game. Not sure if there is anymore info to get.

I can assure you that this is no joke!

-Lee

Edited by Lee Krueger

32k could be measured in bits, which would make 4K accurate. (It certainly doesn't look like a 32K game) Did you try both paddles in both ports? (You can never tell; it might be like Tac-Scan, requiring the use of paddle 2 in port 2)

Edited by Mindfield

No info on what company might have been responsible? This looks nothing like Yogi.

And there's no possible way that the play mechanic would be to shoot Yogi Bear. Not even over a pick-a-nick basket. This game is clearly some original weirdness that resulted from programmer dementia and I'm damn happy to see it.

Edited by NovaXpress

Ok gang,

I tried the rom out on a 2600 and all I get is an animated screen of the Bear going back and forth.

Trying the all the switches (Reset/B&W/A&B/Game Select) has no effect on the game.

From what I can gather, if it is a paddle game, the objective looks to me to shoot the bear to make it change direction and/or move upwards.

It looks as if the screen would scroll that way. I suspect that one would have to avoid the Bee hives and try and gather money for score.

I am still trying to get more info about the game. Not sure if there is anymore info to get.

-Lee

Can you tell me what the EPROM type is? There is no way in hell that this is 4K.

Cheers.

-Lee

Can't blame people for being skeptical though. Remember I, Robot and Turbo? :D

There too, it does seem to me that an unnatural amount of protos are released around this time of year.

Ok gang,

-Lee

Can you tell me what the EPROM type is? There is no way in hell that this is 4K.

Cheers.

I don't have the EPROM board to tell you.

So, based upon Mindfield's suggestion, I tried the right paddle port.... and it works!!

I can't believe I overlooked that tidbit.

So the bear changes direction when you plug him with the gun (up-down-left-right). You guide the bear through a scrolling maze using this method. It is tough. I got stuck in the walls (trees; brush??) several times. Collecting Beehives and or money bags does nothing for you. No sound.

I believe it is a Sega proto.

Stay tuned!

-Lee

Ok gang,

-Lee

Cheers.

I don't have the EPROM board to tell you.

So, based upon Mindfield's suggestion, I tried the right paddle port.... and it works!!

I can't believe I overlooked that tidbit.

So the bear changes direction when you plug him with the gun (up-down-left-right). You guide the bear through a scrolling maze using this method. It is tough. I got stuck in the walls (trees; brush??) several times. Collecting Beehives and or money bags does nothing for you. No sound.

I believe it is a Sega proto.

Stay tuned!

-Lee

If you look at the gun, it's the same gun graphic that was used in Carnival. Perhaps it's a Coleco proto?

Tempest

Can't be Coleco. They didn't make original 2600 games. Unless this is the ultra-rare Berenstein Bears Get Shot edition. I'm sure the programmer just copied the gun from Carnival, which would have already been released assuming the "Bear Game" was made in or after fall 82. Too bad the guy didn't have a decent bear example to copy from as well, if it wasn't for the beehives I wouldnt believe that thing was a bear.

How screwed up is it to control a bear by shooting it anyway? This would not have been marketable. And beehives contain honey so maybe the bear is supposed to grab the hives as well. Why would a bear want money anyway? This is one of the most baffling game concepts I've ever seen.