IGNORED

Another Proto Unearthed at NWCGE

GrizzLee

Can't be Coleco. They didn't make original 2600 games.

I don't know about that, both Smurf games and Bearenstien Bears are original titles.

When you think about it, the game shares more in common with Carnival than just the gun graphic. Remember the bonus round from the arcade version? There was a bear that would walk back and forth across the screen that you had to shoot with the gun (to keep from going off the screen). This is really just the evolution of that mini-game.

Of course I could be way off base with this. I just thought I'd toss it out there.

Tempest

another reason it cant be yogi bear, is that Mattel had the rights to all the hanna barbera properties

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/...1983c.html#yogi

In 1982, Marketing went on a shopping spree, picking up licenses to dozen of cartoon characters, including the entire Hanna Barbera stable. The royalty agreements included guarantees -- if Mattel Electronics didn't release a game within a year using the characters, Mattel would have to pay a lump sum, averaging around $300,000 per license.

Edited by chrisbid

I don't know about that, both Smurf games and Bearenstien Bears are original titles.

Original games, but atill licensed characters. If you owned a popular children's property such as this or Yogi Bear, would you allow a game in which kids had to shoot their hero? No way.

possible sega arcade games

Tranquilizer Gun

Monster Bash

I know both of these games very well. Nothing at all in common with "Zombie Bear" Though Tranquilizer Gun would have made a fun 2600 translation.

This control scheme is very very different from Gumshoe.

Is it possible that this is sort of a pre-prototype? I remember reading somewhere that programmers had to do some coding, wait half an hour or whatever to burn the ROM, then try it out. Maybe this was one of those "test" things early in development.

Along that line, perhaps the money bags were a leftover from a different vision of the game. Collect the moneybags to get points, etc. But then the concept turned towards bears and beehives, and the programmer didn't get around to changing the moneybags to anything that would fit the idea.

Perhaps the whole game was abandonned for whatever reason, and therefore is a precursor to nothing that is out there...

Just some thoughts,

~G

I saw this at NWCGE also; didn't realize that it hadn't been seen before. The owner (who wishes to remain nameless?) didn't act like he had something valuable; he just mentioned that he had picked it up somewhere and that it didn't work anymore, though he had dumped the ROM.

EDIT: Actually, there is a clue as to who the owner is in the pics...:ponder: :D

Edited by vdub_bobby

• 5 months later...

From what I can gather, if it is a paddle game, the objective looks to me to shoot the bear to make it change direction and/or move upwards.

It looks as if the screen would scroll that way. I suspect that one would have to avoid the Bee hives and try and gather money for score.

I believe it is a Sega proto.

If you look at the gun, it's the same gun graphic that was used in Carnival. Perhaps it's a Coleco proto?

There is a 1983 Sega arcade game called Razzmatazz that plays a bit like Carnival on the first level, but on the second level you shoot a polar bear that is walking on ice to guide it and pick up fish. I have no idea if there is any correlation between the arcade game and this prototype, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it helps.

From what I can gather, if it is a paddle game, the objective looks to me to shoot the bear to make it change direction and/or move upwards.

It looks as if the screen would scroll that way. I suspect that one would have to avoid the Bee hives and try and gather money for score.

I believe it is a Sega proto.

If you look at the gun, it's the same gun graphic that was used in Carnival. Perhaps it's a Coleco proto?

There is a 1983 Sega arcade game called Razzmatazz that plays a bit like Carnival on the first level, but on the second level you shoot a polar bear that is walking on ice to guide it and pick up fish. I have no idea if there is any correlation between the arcade game and this prototype, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it helps.

That's an interesting find, mojofltr.

There's indeed a very good chance that this proto game was inspired by Razzmatazz (©1983 SEGA).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter