• As polished games as possible
  2. 2. What kind of stuff do you like most

• Action - trigger happy fingers
    • Brainteasers
    • I just like to press buttons without thinking too much
  3. 3. Would you like to be able to download your own stuff on the cart

• No
    • I would load in new puzzles if they were free
    • It would be cool to be able to save small games on the memory stick and take them with me

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Multicart 2006 is filling up already. It is now obvious that some entries won't fit on the cart and we have to make a decision to drop a few entries from the cart. In order to help the decision of what to do I created a small poll.

Later I will see if some entries won't be ready in time or if we get too much similar entries.

All the entries are already very polished and enjoyable and I know about a few that have not been discussed in this forum yet. So let's hear it what do you want?

--

Karri

I hope no game entries will be droped completly. Just be pushed back to volume II insted. They all look awesome! :)

A good balance of both "Brainteasers" and "Action" would be the best.

I think download stuff may be to complicated for the ordinary lynxer. It requires extra tools and will probably only be used by a very few people.

Using password features as described in Songbird blog (Picross) seem like a very good idea.

Edited by SwedenLynxer

I hope no game entries will be droped completly. Just be pushed back to volume II insted. They all look awesome! :)

There will be at least one more cartridge.

I have (alone) more enough stuff for two cartridges.

But as ppl seem to like "polished" games, it will take time :-p

Hi, Karri, thanks for asking this. We're not planning on "dropping" any games since as Bjoern mentions there will be at least one more cart, and perhaps another multicart beyond that.

So the thing to consider for this cart is do you want similar or variety? For example all the puzzle games (Picross, Squared, etc.) could go on one cart while the action/twitch games could go on another. I am open to either sort of grouping, so let's see what everyone else thinks over the next couple weeks. :)

Also, a couple comments on the survey points: I don't think gamers have to choose "polish" over "more games". I don't expect a minigame to implement the world, but it can still use attractive graphics and have solid gameplay. And as far as downloading new puzzles/minigames into an EEPROM, this is not a "top priority" feature but the technology is basically there and the cost of a 2KB serial EEPROM reasonable, so that's why we are considering it.

Edited by Songbird

It would be cool to add some music to listen, you could put the songs EXCEED made for example (an image + a song playing), like those on his homepage : "Nostalgia 1907" (a very nice one), "Splatter House" and "R-Type".

It would add some variety to the contents.

Thanks for the opinions :)

I just wanted to see if our ideas are on the right track. And they seem to be. This Multicart will go on using the LOL-user interface and I try to compile the cart so that you can choose any game screen on the cart as a background picture for the menu screen. And also listen to all the game tunes using the menu screen music player.

The 2k EEPROM driver is not operational yet but the memory area is _huge_ compared with the 128 bytes of SIMIS. What makes this even more exciting is that the new compiler technique allows you to re-use all the graphics, sounds and library routines on the cart when you write a minigame. And 2k is plenty of memory for a good minigame. Sage's pong game and my Othello both fit in 1k. If there is a little extra space on the cart I would like to fill it with general purpose graphics and sounds that could be used for writing minigames.

Swedish Lynxers comment about Picross password usage is also pretty good. In the old days you could type in a small program in hex in some computers. Perhaps a feature to type in Picross puzzles and save them in EEPROM could be an interface that even the persons who answered No would be interested in doing.

--

Karri

Right now it seems that the cart collection lacks a good shooter and a platformer. I know about two platformers (Sage and TurboLaser) that might make it in time but my own shooter (Stardreamer) won't be ready in time plus it eats up half of the cart. Perhaps it could go on the second cart if the second cart becoms reality.

I am also seriously considering to use a compressed filesystem for the cart in order to fit in a bit more tunes, graphics and entertainment. After all what is a homebrew release without some inside jokes.

Is anybody working on a nice shooter :?:

--

Karri