IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem - 2600

SpiceWare

I'm glad to see this project well underway. I like warlords alot and your version mr Spiceware looks like a sure hit in the making.
Thanks!
I was mess'n with a graphic hack program and did my own little sample on the dragon.
Nice looking dragon! :thumbsup:

post-3056-1147357592_thumb.png

Nice Avatar too

This game is gonna RULE!
I hope so :cool:

Nice! Mind if I use that as a starting point for the animation? (With Darrell's approval, of course.)
That's fine with me. Edited by SpiceWare

I was mess'n with a graphic hack program

Did you also hack the "shift table", or did you make the graphics fit the shifts there were already happening?

It's going to be a bit before Nathan has the animated dragon ready. Since Nathan's looking to use it as a basis for the animation, I'd like to put your dragon in as the place-holder image so it'll be on display at the Midwest Gaming Classic - with your permission of course :)

:sleep: :-o Okay, I'm back. Needed to catch some Z's after my last post much earlier this morning.

I'm glad to see this project well underway. I like warlords alot and your version mr Spiceware looks like a sure hit in the making.
Thanks!

I was mess'n with a graphic hack program and did my own little sample on the dragon.

Nice looking dragon! :thumbsup:

Nice Avatar too

This game is gonna RULE!
I hope so :cool:

Nice! Mind if I use that as a starting point for the animation? (With Darrell's approval, of course.)
That's fine with me.

Nathan, glad you liked the cleaned-up version of the dragon and you are certainly welcome to use the image as long as Darrell is happy with it (..which I'm glad he is!) I forgot that this project belongs to him and it's really his decision. Please make yourself at home with it. I have no other use for the image and I think it's very cool to give it a home in Darrell's game! Also, let me know if I can be of more assistance in this department...I did have two other images of the dragon's wings flapping but was unable to use them in the demo. I'll post them for you to see shortly, maybe you can use them as keyframes in your animation. ...Hey mr Spice- thx for the complement and letting Nathen implement my little graphic hack contribution! :ahoy:

-David

Edited by espire8

I was mess'n with a graphic hack program

Did you also hack the "shift table", or did you make the graphics fit the shifts there were already happening?

It's going to be a bit before Nathan has the animated dragon ready. Since Nathan's looking to use it as a basis for the animation, I'd like to put your dragon in as the place-holder image so it'll be on display at the Midwest Gaming Classic - with your permission of course :)

Hi Darrell- I just saw this message just after my last post a minute ago!

Anyway- I think I know what you're talking about, the "shift table" (which I think is the bounderies where the pixels shift over and are skeward?) is the same in the 'hacked dragon' as it was in for the 'test dragon'. The hack program I used is a simple one called "Hack-o-matic" which was easy for me to use but it will only allow me to change the 'hex values' for the image and nothing else. I really need to show you the rest of the dragon image I did'nt use that Nathen may find some use for in his animation if needed. I'll post them this afternoon when I find them.

-Display at Midwest Gaming? That would be great. Wow... :o I never even expected that but thank you for even concidering it!

-David

Also, let me know if I can be of more assistance in this department...I did have two other images of the dragon's wings flapping but was unable to use them in the demo. I'll post them for you to see shortly, maybe you can use them as keyframes in your animation.

I'd love to see 'em. The more people that can contribute ideas for the graphics for homebrews, the better they'll be in the end.

Okay- here'e the rest of the images.

I tried to get the best animation using the three key frames of thr dragon in a GIF but the reso looks horrible! At least you can make out some movement here.

post-7623-1147433268.gif

Here are some cleaner images of the individual frames so you can see more percisly how the pixils are placed :

flying_dragon_2.bmpflying_dragon_1.bmpflying_dragon_3.bmp

Well there you have it and the rest is up to your programing skills Nathan! which I myself sorely lack. Feel free to touch them up if needed while you work with 'em. Yo Darrell! keep me posted if you do put together a prelimiary animation test. I'd love to see that demo in the game! ;)

I'm at relatives near san Antonio for an extended weekend as my grandpa is having surgery tomorrow morning. I did bring my laptop and was able to get some work done:

1) score routine is working

2) game winner routine is working (currently set to 2 games for the Midwest Gaming Classic)

3) end of round/game messages

4) debounced the fireball - hopefully fixed the problem where a fireball could get "stuck" inside a shield or "double bounce" off a shield.

I'll work on the animated dragon when I return to Houston.

post-3056-1147657082_thumb.png

post-3056-1147657098_thumb.png

mm20060514PAL.bin

mm20060514NTSC.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

Thanks!

Yep, it was in the blog. My plans for the 3 day weekend are to polish up the dragon routines (fly back/forth and smoothly scroll on/off screen) and to change the brick bounce routines. More if I have time, but those are my goals to have in place for the MGC demo.

LOTS OF CHANGES

• revised brick collision bounces (thanks supercat!)
  • The hard-to-read game and round winner messages are now trophies
  • hard-to-read draw message redone
  • I think I fixed the "goofy" bounce that occasionally happened on the top of the screen.
  • scores moved to bottom so I could use sprites for more detailed numbers
  • end-of-round now works when playing Doubles

I'll be working on the dragon animation tomorrow.

Also, Al needs the ROM for MGC tomorrow evening, so I'd appreciate any feedback on gameplay problems.

Round Winner Trophy

post-3056-1148871928_thumb.png

Game Winner Trophy

post-3056-1148871937_thumb.png

Draw - Yep, with multiple fireballs everybody can die. I tested it by killing off 2 players then using the debugger in Stella to position 2 fireballs on top of the remaining kings.

post-3056-1148871954_thumb.png

mm20060528NTSC.bin

mm20060528PAL.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

I've got the dragon flying back and forth and am posting this as a candidate to be demoed at the Midwest Gaming Classic. I'd appreciate any feedback if you see any problems.

Thanks!

post-3056-1148940192_thumb.png

Been following this thread since Warlords was one of my all time favorites. I love how this has come along. The only thing that I think is missing are the white flashes when a brick is destroyed. We used to play the original in a darkened room and it was cool, almost like having a strobe effect. Will this be in the final version?

Thanks!

I'm trying to be closer to the arcade version and it doesn't flash the screen. However, I could make it an option :ponder:

Okay. It would be great as an option. I think the flashes really add to the 'explosion' feeling.

Thanks!

I'm trying to be closer to the arcade version and it doesn't flash the screen. However, I could make it an option :ponder:

Okay. It would be great as an option. I think the flashes really add to the 'explosion' feeling.

Agreed. Probably one of the few features the 2600 has over the arcade version. Would love to see that as an option as well.

I've added the routines for brick flash and king flash. I have not yet changed the main menu, so the 2 options are currently turned on for you. There is a quirk with the king flash - if another sound effect starts on the same channel(left/right), the flashing will stop prematurely.

I also fixed a problem where your king could be killed if 2 fireballs hit one of your castle bricks at the exact same time.

mm20060531NTSC.bin

mm20060531PAL.bin

I've added the routines for brick flash and king flash. I have not yet changed the main menu, so the 2 options are currently turned on for you. There is a quirk with the king flash - if another sound effect starts on the same channel(left/right), the flashing will stop prematurely.

I also fixed a problem where your king could be killed if 2 fireballs hit one of your castle bricks at the exact same time.

That's great! Really adds to it. Love it when there are 3 balls blowing bricks out and causing alot of flashing. Gonna definitely buy this on cart when it's finished.