IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem - 2600

SpiceWare

Keilbaca also gave me an extra Coleco Galaxian Table Top Arcade Unit he had. Powered it up as soon as I got home and played a few rounds, way cool. Thanx again, keilbaca :thumbsup:.

I love that thing. I find mine at a yard sale for way too cheap. I like how it has a space invaders clone and a two player variation as well as the standard Galaxian mode.

Keilbaca also gave me an extra Coleco Galaxian Table Top Arcade Unit he had. Powered it up as soon as I got home and played a few rounds, way cool. Thanx again, keilbaca :thumbsup:.

I love that thing. I find mine at a yard sale for way too cheap. I like how it has a space invaders clone and a two player variation as well as the standard Galaxian mode.

The upright Galaxian is fun too. First game I bought 25 years ago!

My Game Room

post-7510-1157849811_thumb.jpg

My Game Room

The arcade Galaxian rocks! I took a closer look at that picture and it looks like the Galaxian upright is actually a multi-game machine and the Pac-Man next to it has what looks like the Pac-Man from the cartoon in the screen. I'm guessing that Pac-Man is a multi-game machine too? The VFD table top on it looks very nice. Baby Pac-Man too!

Edited by BrianC

My Game Room

The arcade Galaxian rocks! I took a closer look at that picture and it looks like the Galaxian upright is actually a multi-game machine and the Pac-Man next to it has what looks like the Pac-Man from the cartoon in the screen. I'm guessing that Pac-Man is a multi-game machine too? The VFD table top on it looks very nice. Baby Pac-Man too!

Yep, the Galaxian has the Macro multi-game and the Pac has the 96 in 1 multi-game by Mike Doyle. I also have a Tempest with Clay Cowgill's multi-Tempest and a cockpit Star Wars with the Star Wars and Empire Strikes back multi-game. Space Wars, Hang-On, Pole Position, Operation Wolf, Asteroids, Tron, Homemade cocktail 3in1 (Galaxian Space Invaders Galaga) round out the current collection

post-7510-1157930537_thumb.jpg post-7510-1157930634_thumb.jpg

The screen roll/jitter problem was occuring in the fireball routines. I've revamped them and haven't had any problems with the screen since.

In the original routines, each corner of the fireball was checked to see if it had hit a brick. Now only the corner that "points to the king" is checked - ie: for grey the top-left corner of the fireball is check, whil for green the bottom-right is checked.

I came up with this solution during a round of Super Breakout(HSC game of the week) when I noticed that it wasn't checking all corners and could "pass thru" the edges of the brick.

After making the change I ran the game in Stella for a few hours with:

breakif { _scan == #263 }

entered into the debugger and didn't have any breaks.

I'd appreciate any feedback on what this does to the gameplay.

mm20060917PAL.bin

mm20060917NTSC.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

I didn't like how the the 1 corner checking was working out, so I added back checking of all 4 corners. To make sure there's time, I added a "time remaining" check for the 2nd fireball.

I also did something that I hope addresses the problem where a fireball would get past your shield then bounce around inside the castle wall and take out a large number of bricks. I changed it so that after the fireball's new direction is calculated, it's checked to see if it's towards the king of the castle. If it is, the direction is changed to be away from the king. Seems to help.

mm20060924NTSC.bin

mm20060924PAL.bin

Catch now has a new option. Besides Yes and No there's now Limited. Limited catch will only let you catch a fireball if it did not hit the back of your shield.

Also added back in the overshoot-compensation that removes the jitter from the faster AI players.

mm20061001NTSC.bin

mm20061001PAL.bin

The biggest change is the AI players' speeds now vary depending on the game speed and the number of fireballs in play. When I redo the menu I'll relabel the Speed settings as follows:

1 = Childrens

2 = Slow

3 = Fast

4 = Wicked

I've also modified the Limited Catch to support limiting at a player level so that, for instance, player 1 could be limited while the other players have normal catch. Please note the current menu doesn't fully support setting each player. For now, the dots added above the M in limited will denote which players are limited. The first dot is player 1, second player 2 and so on. When the dots come off they come off from the end.

All players with Limited Catch

post-3056-1160195722_thumb.png

Players 1 & 2 have limited catch, players 3 & 4 have full catch.

post-3056-1160195735_thumb.png

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how the different AI speeds work, such as is the childrens setting option appropriate for children.

mm20061006NTSC.bin

mm20061006PAL.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

Made a few changes

• fixed problem where players 1 and 3 could move too far up the screen causing the graphics to be corrupted.
  • Maxed out the fireball speeds when all human players have died so the current round will end quicker.
  • fixed AI Catch to release the fireball if an AI player is killed while holding the fireball.
  • Redid the AI Catch Button routine so each AI player is independently changed. The old routines would move AI1's catch button value to AI2, AI2 to AI3 and AI3 to AI4, which resulted in the boring "release-catch" cycles between the AI players.

Any feedback on the AI player speeds for the kid level(speed = 1)? Are the AI players OK or should they move slower?

mm20061014NTSC.bin

mm20061014PAL.bin

Just a few changes.

• Fixed the reset-game bug.
  • Descriptive labels of Kids, Slow, Fast and Medieval are now used instead of 1 thru 4 for the values of Speed.
  • AI players on the Kids level are slower than before,
  • AI speeds swapped - player 1(grey) is now fastest AI and player 4(purple) is the slowest. This makes it so 1 player games can be made more difficult by picking a corner other than grey.

mm20061019NTSC.bin

mm20061019PAL.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

In a few versions I had it set where you could select 0 players. It worked fine unless the 2nd fireball is launched with 4 players still alive as the image starts to jump up/down due to insufficient processing time.

I plan to look into an attract mode towards the end as it depends on how my RAM usage ends up.

This was the first time I've played it since you added the scrolling menu - lots of options! One I would use often is the "To Win" setting, but it's way down at the bottom...I do like how Reset starts the game per Atari tradition, so you don't have to scroll all the way down to start the game, but maybe Start should be first in the list?

Edited by Jacob Rose

A few more changes

• Attract Mode
  • Tweak to Distance Calc Tables to improve gameplay
  • Tweak to trophy display
  • Textured Castle

post-3056-1161559838_thumb.png

This will be shown at next weekend's VGXPO, so I'd appreciate any feedback if you spot problems.

mm20061022NTSC.bin

mm20061022PAL.bin

1. Instructions to play using
Stellastart Stella
load Medieval Mayhem
hit TAB, a menu will pop up
select Game Properties
on the CARTRIDGE tab set SOUND to STEREO
select the CONTROLLER tab
change both controllers to PADDLES
hit OK
hit EXIT MENU
restart the emulator for the change to take effect. Under OS X use APPLE R, under Windows and Linux use CONTROL R. You'll get a message "New Console Created" when it restarts.