IGNORED

Running VIC-20 programs on a real VIC-20

tjb

There are a number of .prg files (cart dumps I believe) floating around for the VIC-20. Can you simply create a .D64 disk image with these files in order to be able to play them on a real VIC (using a XE1541 cable)? I managed to use the D64 editor program to add some .prg files to a .D64 file. Using an emulator I tried to load them using "LOAD "pgmname",8,1". I then tried using SYS 40960 ($A000) among other things but had no success. Is there something special I need to do? Any help would be most appreciated as I am clueless.

Thanks,

tjb

There are a number of .prg files (cart dumps I believe) floating around for the VIC-20. Can you simply create a .D64 disk image with these files in order to be able to play them on a real VIC (using a XE1541 cable)? I managed to use the D64 editor program to add some .prg files to a .D64 file. Using an emulator I tried to load them using "LOAD "pgmname",8,1". I then tried using SYS 40960 ($A000) among other things but had no success. Is there something special I need to do? Any help would be most appreciated as I am clueless.

Thanks,

tjb

An unexpanded VIC doesn't have enough RAM to play dumped carts. IIRC (from 20+ years ago) although the carts are only 8k, you need the 32k expansion in order to run the cart dumps.

Thanks,

tjb

An unexpanded VIC doesn't have enough RAM to play dumped carts. IIRC (from 20+ years ago) although the carts are only 8k, you need the 32k expansion in order to run the cart dumps.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even consider the amount of RAM (or lack thereof). I have a cardboard expansion inteface (by CardCo) that allows you to use RAM expansion modules but alas, I currently only have an 8K one. For some reason I was thinking I had two 16K expansion modules, oh well.

I tried loading the images from the .D64 file inside the WinVICE emulator and while they loaded, I could not get them to run. :(

tjb

You have to load them to specific blocks (1, 2, 3 or 5) before you can execute them, just like how the old carts would do it.

(the blocks representing memory locations $20, $40, $60 and $A0)

I suggest a visit to Denial ( http://sleepingelephant.com/denial ) to ask as there's lots of Vic20 experts there :)

You have to load them to specific blocks (1, 2, 3 or 5) before you can execute them, just like how the old carts would do it.

(the blocks representing memory locations $20, $40, $60 and $A0)

I suggest a visit to Denial ( http://sleepingelephant.com/denial ) to ask as there's lots of Vic20 experts there :)

Wow, thanks! It seems there's a whole community of VIC-20 enthusiasts I never knew existed!

I'd have to admit, although I'm not that active on either board, I'm currently monitoring both Atari Age and Denial. I'm learning about using CC65 for both platforms, and both forums are a great source of information.

Everytime I start researching a new platform, I find a group of enthusiests who are continuing to develop for their favourite platform, whether it be hardware, software or both.

I recently came across a group at SMSPower who continue to play with the Sega Master System, one of which I recently got working.

Raises hand...

Hello my name is Chris and I have a Vic 20.

...Sits down

Chorus: Hello Chris!

Question, Am I the only guy on the planet that has a Vic super expander?

I actually coded for it in the 80's, but nobody else seemd to have one.

Edited by Zonie