IGNORED

Intellivision opinion

Dusk2600

It is my goal to turn people to their intellivision instead of turning to crack. :D

Anyways i want to see peoples opinion on the intv system as a whole

it is a system all in its own and i think it deserves more credit then it recieves.

many games for intv, are intv only games. their not ported allover the place.

my favs are....

worm whomper

burgertime

diner

thin ice

any imagic title

hover force

the list goes on and on, i pretty much like all the intv games

ik many will bash the controlers. the buttons on the intv 1 are better then the intv 2's controlers. but the intv 2 is more modern looking, well... as modern looking as an intv can get ;) think u can do better prove it, i know id love to see someone remake the intv controler:)

i think they would be a hot item for the AA store and ebay *Hint Hint* :P i know there are ways to make them at home, but i would like to see a professional looking 1 hit the streets so to speek, well hit online stores and auction sites.

it would also give people a chance to actually give the system a fair shot.

thats basically all...... post away

Edited by Dusk2600

I don't like the overuse of the running man sprite. Even commando uses a variation of it, and that was 1987. It's an interesting machine - but the side buttons on the controllers are poor, and on the original machine, they can't be replaced by other controllers. But the Intellivoice - yeah, a great idea.

I rarely play my Intellevision, the controller cramps my hand to much. I have the intellevoice but only one game that utilizes it, "space spartans".

But i did enjoy it, Demon Attack is by far more superior than the 2600 version, and D&D Treasure of Tarmin is an amazing game for its time, especially since its 1st person perspective. I have about 30 games for mine, and i'll probably enjoy them more once i get an Intv II and can use a different controller.

how hard would it be to make a splitter like the 5200 used for alternate joysticks. most INTV games do not need 16 directions, and in most cases, you only need the keypad for options before the game starts.

an intellivision redemption adapter would be pretty freakin cool. ive read that INTV 1 controllers have standard ports within the system, but i do not know how hard it is to get to them if you crack open the case.

how hard would it be to make a splitter like the 5200 used for alternate joysticks. most INTV games do not need 16 directions, and in most cases, you only need the keypad for options before the game starts.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Many games were calibrated around the disc and the way you could rotate it. For example, in Triple Action the tanks turn by following the spin of the disc. While this is frustrating at first, you learn to stop pressing the direction you want to go, and start pressing the current direction before rotating.

an intellivision redemption adapter would be pretty freakin cool. ive read that INTV 1 controllers have standard ports within the system, but i do not know how hard it is to get to them if you crack open the case.
Why don't you just use a Sears Super Video Arcade System or Intellivision II? Both have detachable controllers, meaning that you can plug a new stick in. That's about the only thing that offsets the (from what I hear) horrid cheapening of the INTV II controllers.

The Intellivision rocks! :)

I think a lot of the dislike for the system stems from the fact that it's poorly suited to 'twitch' games. The 16 direction disc can make the precise direction you press rather unpredictable, and the stiff side buttons can be problematic for reflexively hitting the fire button. As a result, the Intellivision's strengths are in the area of playing more cerebral games. For example:

• Space Battle is about strategically deploying your forces before the enemy overruns your base.
  • Shark! Shark! is about taking openings as you see them, and planning ahead as possible. "Twitching" rarely saves your fishy, and usually rams you into a shark muzzle.
  • Sea Battle is nothing but deployment strategy.
  • Sanfu requires strategic thinking to box in your competitors.
  • Burgertime has you spending most of your time running from ladder to ladder. In between ladders you're spending time deciding your next move rather than quickly jumping or firing. Pepper must be conserved, thus requiring you to plan ahead on its usage.
  • Sports games. 'Nuff said.
  • Poker and Blackjack. 'Nuff said.
  • Night Stalker gives you limited ammunition before you must track down another gun. Given that your character moves slowly, you need to keep your wits about you if you want to nail the robots before they box you in.

If I was in a position where I had to go down to one system, I think it would be hard to chose between my Intellivision and my 7800. The 7800 is great for playing quick games that are jam-packed with action (e.g. Enduro, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Missile Command, etc.) while the Intellivision keeps me playing steady-paced games for hours. (e.g. Night Stalker, Shark! Shark!, Blackjack, Space Battle, Beauty and the Beast, etc.) The systems are just different, and both make great additions to any system collection.

switching controlers is gr8 fun and easy to do, lift the lid of the intv 1 and ull c a white connector, unplug it and put a intv 1 working controler in its place, once u open the machine youll c its common sense even if u can barely use a screwdriver

I rarely play my Intellevision, the controller cramps my hand to much. I have the intellevoice but only one game that utilizes it, "space spartans".

But i did enjoy it, Demon Attack is by far more superior than the 2600 version, and D&D Treasure of Tarmin is an amazing game for its time, especially since its 1st person perspective. I have about 30 games for mine, and i'll probably enjoy them more once i get an Intv II and can use a different controller.

i think the intv 2 controller is worse, esp the fire buttons their hard to push in and the numbers are also, ive owned both and the intv 1 controlers are better, honestly :D

It is my goal to turn people to their intellivision instead of turning to crack. :D

it is a system all in its own and i think it deserves more credit then it recieves.

many games for intv, are intv only games. their not ported allover the place.

my favs are....

worm whomper

burgertime

diner

thin ice

any imagic title

hover force

the list goes on and on, i pretty much like all the intv games

ik many will bash the controlers. the buttons on the intv 1 are better then the intv 2's controlers. but the intv 2 is more modern looking, well... as modern looking as an intv can get ;) think u can do better prove it, i know id love to see someone remake the intv controler:)

i think they would be a hot item for the AA store and ebay *Hint Hint* :P i know there are ways to make them at home, but i would like to see a professional looking 1 hit the streets so to speek, well hit online stores and auction sites.

it would also give people a chance to actually give the system a fair shot.

thats basically all...... post away

Diner is a intv released only game. I wish it were available for the 7800 one day. I saw the screenshots and the game is excellent.

I've had a Sears Super Video arcade since 1984, when they clearanced them for $30. The system still works, but the carts need periodic cleanings or they won't load. I've never thought the controllers were horrible, but different than the Atari 2600, and take a little getting used to.

My favorite games are Utopia, Dracula, Atlantis, Worm Womper, BurgerTime and Sea Battle (if you can find someone to play with ya).

All in all a very solid system, a true classic.

edit: White Water is great too!

Edited by Prodos8

After the 2600, the inty is my favorite system. It compliments the 2600 nicely. The 2600 has some crazy good twitch games, and the inty is all about depth, strategy and originality.

What I like about it is what most people don't: the fact that the library is almost all original and unique titles with few arcade ports, and that the games tend to be slower and more strategic.

There are several games on the system that are A+ titles that you can get nowhere else (thin ice, thunder castle, diner, the aD&D games, utopia etc). Many of them are amazingly deep for the time. Tower of Doom is still one of the all time best action RPG games anywhere. Add a huge pile or original Imagic games, and you have a winner.

Yeah, the controllers are kinda crampy, but what contollers were not back then? At least they are not unreliable like the 5200 sticks.

The Intellivision is a great system. I really like how on Triple Play the airplanes can stall out and fall straight down just like they would in real life. Dungeons and Dragons is a great game.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the controllers. They work just fine the way they are.

The Inty was my family's first console, so it naturally has a place in my heart. I never had a problem with the controllers, although the side buttons are a little stiff. Some of the games were pretty far ahead of their time. My favs: AD&D, Treasure of Tarmin, Night Stalker, Burgertime, Shark! Shark!, Auto Racing, Dracula, Demon Attack. Man, so many great games...

After the 2600, the inty is my favorite system. It compliments the 2600 nicely. The 2600 has some crazy good twitch games, and the inty is all about depth, strategy and originality.

What I like about it is what most people don't: the fact that the library is almost all original and unique titles with few arcade ports, and that the games tend to be slower and more strategic.

There are several games on the system that are A+ titles that you can get nowhere else (thin ice, thunder castle, diner, the aD&D games, utopia etc). Many of them are amazingly deep for the time. Tower of Doom is still one of the all time best action RPG games anywhere. Add a huge pile or original Imagic games, and you have a winner.

Yeah, the controllers are kinda crampy, but what contollers were not back then? At least they are not unreliable like the 5200 sticks.

God Bless u Sir :D

The Intellivision for me,plays same game titles better than other sysytems versions,for example,I find burgertime plays really well the INTV,,Dig Dug is another favorite of mine on the INTV,but the INTV control disc seems to not work well on that game,you have to press the disc %100 accurately in the direction you want to go ,or else you end going in the wrong direction,which is VERY easy to do,if you're not thinking.You see,it seems if a game plays well,the control sucks,and vice versa,I guess it could have something to do with how it was programmed ,the system,or the game itself.I have 4 systems,INTV,ATARI 2600,400,Colecovision,and I love them all.The Intellivoice is really cool as well!Yes,the INTV is a fine system,with better controllers,man,it would be phenomenol!!!!!!!!

The Intellivision II I owned back in 1984 was fun for a while until it started malfunctioning. Too bad much of the software that was for the system was drying up around that time.

Of the games I did get for the system:

Tron Maze-A-Tron -- interesting game, but trekking endlessly through a circuit board trying to get to the RAM chips to clear them gets tiresome, unless you happen to transport yourself to them by chance. It would make for interesting visuals for a fan-created video for A Flock Of Seagulls' "Electrics" from the Listen album.

Tron Deadly Disks -- loved the game when I first tried it out at J.C. Penney with their Intellivision kiosk, and still enjoyed it when I finally got my own copy. Best played with two Intellivision controllers in each hand, one for moving and the other for firing.

Centipede -- not a bad translation of the arcade game, though the spider will at some point get ridiculously fast to where you'll be lucky if it doesn't zap you as it bounces around the bottom of the screen.

Pac-Man -- also not a bad translation, but inferior to the Atari 5200 and the not-yet-released-at-the-time ColecoVision version.

Horse Racing -- always wanted this game since I last played it at a penny carnival at Our Lady of Providence Children's Center in West Springfield, MA. Not a bad gambling game. Too bad this wasn't translated for the Atari 2600.

Space Battle -- enjoyed this game, though I only played the easiest skill level.

Tron Solar Sailor -- tried to play it when I got this for Christmas along with an Intellivoice. Unfortunately, my INTV II was malfunctioning at the time.

About 3 years ago I started an INTV collection due to the games being availible at a decent price and there not to hard to find. I think Stadium Mud Buggies or Super Pro Volleyball (unless you count conversational french) are about the hardest titles to track down and there out there at a reasonable price(compaired to some 2600 titles). The library is small so it makes it easy to get a full set without taking up to much space and some of the games are rather fun to play but after this I still sold my collection and I'll tell you why. First I'll say that the controllers did bug me, its not that they were horrible but along with many other people, I just didn't like them. Also from a collecting point of view the labels on the games sucked. Where's the cool art and variety other systems games have?, not here thats for sure. Most of the games looked the same which made it less fun to collect for. I also think part of my decision to sell had to do with not having overlays and manuals for a lot of games, this was my fault though, if I ever started a new collection I think I would only purchase complete games because some of them are very hard or impossible to figure out on your own. The last thing would have to be the demand for a lot of the games is not very high, dont get me wrong I dont collect games to make a profit and I know its about the games not the money but its nice to know if you spend fifty bucks on a game you could get it back someday if you needed to. I think unless you know someone looking for the game you are selling you will probably be sitting on it for awhile because there's just not as many people collecting for the INTV. Overall the INTV is fun but I still prefer my supposed graphically inferior 2600 over it, just like I did in the 80's.

I'm not sure that I can say it better than was already said in this thread, but the INTV has always been my favorite classic console.

Its also the reason I started into collecting in the early 90's, I wanted to recapture some of that magic of my youth.

My collecting has evolved into so many other systems, but the INTV will always have a special place with me, as will the Colecovision.

in 2002 I got my first intv system(intv 2) off a friend who found it in his basement, it came with both AD&D games and some random overlays.

Fired it up loved it bought bunch of commons played it. i then went broke n sold it. Then i went to a garage sale and picked up 50 games all with overlays and inst for 20.00, inc worm whomper and many other rares. went and bought an intv system for 20.00 at a fleamarket. then i sold that and all my games when i hit another economical low point. then i went on ebay and did a bin on a huge lot of intv stuff for 250.00 ive had it since, prolly 5-6 monthes. havent thought of selling it, wont sell it ever again.

I didn't know much about the Intellivision when I was a kid. I was totally into my Atari VCS. My impression of it as a kid was that it had good graphics, was expensive (heard about this many times from mom as a kid), had D&D games (major envy as I was a childhood D&D geek), and commercials with George Plimpton were *really* annoying (damn those comparison ads!)

Got my first Intellivision a few years ago and was for the most part really impressed. The games are unique, for the most part fun, and easy to look at. Among my favorites for the system (I'm sure to miss a few so don't kill me if I leave out your favorite, I probably like it too) B17 Bomber, Body Slam Wrestling, Worm Whomper, Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Baseball (any), Utopia (played a six hour marathon game with a friend into the wee hours until we were told to shut up and the inty was turned off). All the game have their own Intellivision look and feel, and for me that's a good thing. I like some of the early blocky 2600 games for that reason... kinda bleh to look at... but still fun to play and a good snapshot of how the games were progressing.

My only gripes about the system lie with the console itself. I was rough on my contollers as a kid and the hardwired controllers on the first intellivision system would have been a problem sooner or later with wear/beatings/etc. Also the contollers feel a little light and less "substantial" than the 2600 sticks. And speaking of sticks... get the joystick attachments for the inty controller disc... big improvement. I can deal with the buttons.

All in all, I love the Intellivision! Sorry it took like 500 words to express this!