IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

Howdy Ataridano

... but being able to use 512byte sectors would let me attach my CD-ROM!

Hmm, one more reason to start finishing the transfer of my optical and hard drives from my mini tower to my big tower.

I wanted to answer that you need support for 2048 byte sectors if you want to use ordinary disks. But with the Atari, that might not be true. I've managed to read ISO 9660 (read: ordinary Mac and PC) CD's and DVD's via my BlackBox. But I also have some Atari 8 bit boot CD's. (Check out my page for more info. You should buy now know how to find it. :D ) But I haven't done anything real on the Atari since I bought the Mac. Now all I have to do is crimp some sockets onto some flatcable (found the pliers I needed for that a couple of weeks ago) and find that ..... termination block for when I don't have my ZIPdrive connected.

Greetings

Mathy

Howdy Ken

... and 3)if possible, add a partition list/assignment screen similar to what the black-box has.

If you decide to do so, you might consider using the same setup as the BlackBox does. That would make it easier to swap CD's and DVD's burned for the Atari between BlackBox and MIO owners. Or between different systems, if you have both.

BTW some for the partition stuff is at the bottom of my BlackBox page. The stuff about the CD's and DVD's is on (AT)ASPI page. And the stuff on how to burn a CD that can be read from your Atari 8 bit computer is on my Boot CD and DVD page. You probably not want to copy all of the configuration stuff, but as I said, you might consider putting the partitionlist information in the same sectors. And maybe place "MIO" where the configuration now says "BlackBox". That might make it easier to distinguish the different configurations.

Greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Howdy Ken

Yep. Thats a 16meg 30-pin SIMM. FPM (fast page mode) which is fine.

What distinguishes these from ordinary 16MB 30 pin SIMMs? Maybe one day I'll put a 16MB SIMM in my 1MB XEGS, and this might be a source for 16MB SIMMs.

Greetings

Mathy

Howdy Ken

Yep. Thats a 16meg 30-pin SIMM. FPM (fast page mode) which is fine.

What distinguishes these from ordinary 16MB 30 pin SIMMs? Maybe one day I'll put a 16MB SIMM in my 1MB XEGS, and this might be a source for 16MB SIMMs.

Greetings

Mathy

Nothing... FPM means they support fast page mode which is an alternative mode of accessing them, (as opposed to static column).. Some DRAM controller designs required FPM, back in the day.

They should be very suitable for the atari. They are 8-bit data-bus.. As long as you keep your additional multiplexed adress lines in time with the ones the ATARI is generating, you should be fine.

case1.jpg

I am thinking of offering this case for/with the new MIO boards.

This is the exact same case as the original MIO, except it is .5" taller.

This puts it about level with the height of a 130xe or 800xl.

This also allows the use of a conventional heatsink on the voltage regulator, instead of the

aluminum plate, which would be somewhat costly to produce.

This also gives us more "headroom" for future "daughterboard" style expansions.

This case also has vents above the power-supply section of the board for additional cooling.

I am definitely going to have some of these made. The cost per unit is going to be about $25.00

If you want one (or more) included with your order, let me know quick as I plan to order these soon.

kjones66@earthlink.net

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Ken,

I haven't been to this site in a while and I'm happy to see this MIO production run is under way.

If you have another run or any spares, count me in.

Does anyone have the Original 1MB MIO user manual? Will it be included with this? It would be nice to review it.

I was a teenager when the MIO's were released and I could never afford one back then.

I have SpartaDOS X so this would work nice

-hunter

Edited by hunter44102

Why would I want to cover this

newmio2.jpg

I would want to cover it just to keep it clean, I could always uncover it when I wanted to peak at it. Besides it is on the bottom of the board, So most people won't see it anyway.

Just so people know I will start work on a new mio rom, once I get some time. At this time I will not comment on what I want the new rom to do.

I already have a 576k xe battery backed up ramdisk. The CAD drawing is finished. I am also in the process of drawing up a SMARTOS. I have had one running for over 10 years now. Another product that is ready to go is TURBOSS. Also TCPIPEXPRESS is ready to go. Ken and I have many more projects in store for the 8-bit. But Right now I have a bunch of cash tieded up in the MUX project. And I need to get my web site online. I may have an Adaptec 4000a controller and a st251 hard drive I won't know for sure untill I get my mio back from ken. But if everything checks out with the controller and hard disk I will make it avaliable first first of all who trusted Ken's MIO project.

I will be testing out the Ken MIO here on my internet bbs. I will also be setting up a message base for the MIO project.

'TCPIPExpress.com Port 8888,8889,8890'

Stephen J. Carden

Ken,

I haven't been to this site in a while and I'm happy to see this MIO production run is under way.

If you have another run or any spares, count me in.

Does anyone have the Original 1MB MIO user manual? Will it be included with this? It would be nice to review it.

I was a teenager when the MIO's were released and I could never afford one back then.

I have SpartaDOS X so this would work nice

-hunter

Yes! I have the orginal documentation for the mio, as well as All the ICD products. Shoot me an e-mail and I will send you a copy.

sjcarden@bellsouth.net

Ok. Heres a list of drives that I BELIEVE might work "as is" with the original ROM.

You guys might want to start looking for them. There are many companies on the web that sell

them either rebuilt, or used for rediculous prices..

Also, theres some dude named "BRICKCOLLECTOR" on Ebay who seems to stock alot of them.

(its actually a reputable used/tested hardware reseller, as far as I can tell) His prices arent too bad.

Ok.. For SURE.. The seagate (henceforth referred to as SEA-CRATE) ST225N will work.. It is a 5.25", half-height drive.

Here is a list of drives from the exact same generation of embedded controller design from Seagate.. They are all also

whopping-assed 5.25" footprint, half-height drives:

ST251N

ST277N

ST296N

Ok.. Now.. in case you havent figured it out yet, the last 2 digits in the model number are the unformatted capacity.

Here are 2 drives that I THINK MIGHT work, as I have have some luck with them, but not 100%.. They are 3.5" footprint, half-height:

ST138N

ST157N

Good news is that alot of these old sea-crate drives were used in macintosh machines.. And we all know that apple sold an assload of early macs.

So they are probably out there sitting in your buddy's closet, or junk-parts pile somewhere..

Geeze, I hope this actually helps.. Maybe someone with a real MIO can verify the validity of this crap..

Everyone should do what they can to brown-nose steve (money works really good) into fixing that ROM ASAP.. hahah..

Ok. Heres a list of drives that I BELIEVE might work "as is" with the original ROM.

You guys might want to start looking for them. There are many companies on the web that sell

them either rebuilt, or used for rediculous prices..

Also, theres some dude named "BRICKCOLLECTOR" on Ebay who seems to stock alot of them.

(its actually a reputable used/tested hardware reseller, as far as I can tell) His prices arent too bad.

Ok.. For SURE.. The seagate (henceforth referred to as SEA-CRATE) ST225N will work.. It is a 5.25", half-height drive.

Here is a list of drives from the exact same generation of embedded controller design from Seagate.. They are all also

whopping-assed 5.25" footprint, half-height drives:

ST251N

ST277N

ST296N

Ok.. Now.. in case you havent figured it out yet, the last 2 digits in the model number are the unformatted capacity.

Here are 2 drives that I THINK MIGHT work, as I have have some luck with them, but not 100%.. They are 3.5" footprint, half-height:

ST138N

ST157N

Good news is that alot of these old sea-crate drives were used in macintosh machines.. And we all know that apple sold an assload of early macs.

So they are probably out there sitting in your buddy's closet, or junk-parts pile somewhere..

Geeze, I hope this actually helps.. Maybe someone with a real MIO can verify the validity of this crap..

Everyone should do what they can to brown-nose steve (money works really good) into fixing that ROM ASAP.. hahah..

I'm not a hardware guy so forgive me if I ask stupid and/or obvious questions. I was wondering what else is needed to hook up the MIO board to a SCSI hard drive besides the drive and cable? I'm assuming you also need a power supply of some sort. Do you have suggestions for a power supply?

-tjb