IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

Well, I last heard from him on the 28th of November in a response to a PM. He mentioned that it was a lot of work putting the boards together.

While I am sure we all understand that, it's been a while since we paid, and some official status would be helpful. The web site does say that the first units will go out 'sometime before christmas', but there arent that many shopping days left.

Edited by danwinslow

Hey guys.. Sorry about the lack of status updates.. Yeah Dan. both of yours are finished.. I can ship both of them to you if you like.. Rob, yours are pretty far down on the list.. I am going to try like hell to get everyone's board assembled before christmas.. as far as the rom upgrade goes, that is still in the works, but I dont have a definite timeframe at the moment.. heres some pictures:

post-8775-1165370332_thumb.jpg

lots of MIOs waiting for assembly.

post-8775-1165370349_thumb.jpg

Dan's 2 MIOs ready for shipping.

post-8775-1165370365_thumb.jpg

More MIOs in various states of assembly.

post-8775-1165370389_thumb.jpg

An MIO being "analyzed" for some type of assembly glitch..

Anywayze.. As you can see. This is consuming quite a bit of my life.. So.. Please be patient.. Im working for free here, and each MIO represents over 20 hours of painstaking meticulous work.

Awesome. Thanks for updating Ken. It does look like a buttload of work. I don't want you to rush anything, I just think we were feeling nervous. It's always kind of scary after having seen so many of these type of things die off over the years.

Well, theres no way Im gonna let this "die off".. Ive got all of the materials & parts to assemble every last MIO. Time is the only limiting factor now...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Idlike to apologize again for the delays. I had really hoped to have all of these things built & shipped by now.

In any case, I am going to begin shipping the first units real soon. I will be emailing each MIO recipient, to confirm their adress before shipping.

That's great news, thanks for all the time and energy you've put into the project, I'll be waiting for that e-mail!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ping

Anyone?

I did get a PM from Ken on the 19th confirming my shipping address. I asked if he knew when he was expecting to ship and I haven't gotten a response yet, so I can only assume he's still getting the first batch of MIOs ready at this point.

I would like some more frequent updates, though, especially for buyers like yourself who bought (and are still waiting for) several MIOs.

Ok. Just checking in and letting everyone know that Im still alive.

Still assembling the MIOs.

2 things have cropped up recently:

1) one of the boards turned out to have 6 bad VIAs. In otherwords, holes that were not thru-plated like they should have been. This would not be a problem if they were thru-holes for component legs, but they were just VIAs which done normally get solder.

What this means is that on all remaining boards, Im going to have to check all the vias with an ohm meter before asembly. Pain in the ass, but evidently I cant trust the PCB-manufacturer's "guarantee"..

2) I may have isolated one last design problem in the SCSI interface portion of the board. This is what is holding up shipping of the units that are already assembled and tested. I want to make sure that the hard-circuitry is right, so that noone has t ship theirs back to me for further diagnosis when their drive doesnt work. The only drive I have to test these things with is an ST225N (the embedded "kinda" SCSI drive that ICD supported in the manual). If someone wants to let me borrow a SCSI-MFM controller board, that would help because I would have an aditional setup to test with, ane compare.

3) The SCSI firmware updates are on-hold because I am totally slammed with this, and about 1000 other things in my life, and my software engineering department (WareRat) is taking a temporary break from the project, in order to finish his night school classes towards his Masters of Engineering. We did make enough headway in this endeavor to see that it is definitely possible to update the firmware, with the existing hardware design, and dramatically increase the range of compatability with SCSI-1 & 2 devices. At this point, we are still totally comitted to following this through, but my first priority is to get the actual hardware in the hands of the buyers.

Sorry bout the delays.. Life is giving me hell lately.. But I am giving it hell back.. So hopefully before too long Ill have something substantial to report.

Also, anyone in the houston area who can solder (I mean GOOD soldering skills) who wants to help with the assembly on any night or weekend, drop me a line. Id be glad to have your help.

• 1 month later...

I guess its time for my once a month ping so see whats up with these things..

Ok. Just checking in and letting everyone know that Im still alive.

Still assembling the MIOs.

2 things have cropped up recently:

1) one of the boards turned out to have 6 bad VIAs. In otherwords, holes that were not thru-plated like they should have been. This would not be a problem if they were thru-holes for component legs, but they were just VIAs which done normally get solder.

What this means is that on all remaining boards, Im going to have to check all the vias with an ohm meter before asembly. Pain in the ass, but evidently I cant trust the PCB-manufacturer's "guarantee"..

2) I may have isolated one last design problem in the SCSI interface portion of the board. This is what is holding up shipping of the units that are already assembled and tested. I want to make sure that the hard-circuitry is right, so that noone has t ship theirs back to me for further diagnosis when their drive doesnt work. The only drive I have to test these things with is an ST225N (the embedded "kinda" SCSI drive that ICD supported in the manual). If someone wants to let me borrow a SCSI-MFM controller board, that would help because I would have an aditional setup to test with, ane compare.

3) The SCSI firmware updates are on-hold because I am totally slammed with this, and about 1000 other things in my life, and my software engineering department (WareRat) is taking a temporary break from the project, in order to finish his night school classes towards his Masters of Engineering. We did make enough headway in this endeavor to see that it is definitely possible to update the firmware, with the existing hardware design, and dramatically increase the range of compatability with SCSI-1 & 2 devices. At this point, we are still totally comitted to following this through, but my first priority is to get the actual hardware in the hands of the buyers.

Sorry bout the delays.. Life is giving me hell lately.. But I am giving it hell back.. So hopefully before too long Ill have something substantial to report.

Also, anyone in the houston area who can solder (I mean GOOD soldering skills) who wants to help with the assembly on any night or weekend, drop me a line. Id be glad to have your help.

I am getting a bad feeling about this. Steve and Sergio say they have their units...but no-one else. It's been a very long time, and we get no updates. Ken, you should really update us or something...its getting to be unreasonable.

Anyone else know anything?

Nope, I haven't heard anything either. I hope everything's all right.

I am getting a bad feeling about this. Steve and Sergio say they have their units...but no-one else. It's been a very long time, and we get no updates. Ken, you should really update us or something...its getting to be unreasonable.

Anyone else know anything?

I'm starting to agree. A total lack of communication makes it all even worse. I understand this stuff takes time and all, but I've got a lot of $ tied up in this project, and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Ok, a LOT nervous.

Come on Ken, we're quite a bit past time. Anything?

Rob

Dan. Im about sick of your shit... Your units are both done. Ill send them immediately. May they short out and burn your house down.

Rob, you are on the end of the list, bud. If you've got a problem, I'll be glad to ship you a huge assed bag of parts and let you figure out how to assemble them yourself..

And that goes for anyone else who wants to raise hell, whine, or isinuate that I or any of my colleagues are not "doing our part" to see this project through to completion.

There is nothing to report.. There are no developments.. The state of assembly of all the MIOs is about 40%... And Im sorry, but I am NOT going to devote any more time than I currently am.. So.. Its gonna be a while.. Hell it could even be another YEAR before they are all assembled.. But as I said, the money I got for this came about a grand short of even covering the parts/materials.. So.. any and all labor I am doing is WAYYY in the red, as far as what my time is worth, and cant be considered anything else but charity...

And don't bother WareRat either. He doesn't want to hear your whining.

Call me personally at 832 724-3321 and I will be more than happy to tell you where to go.

All of that said, thank you guys who have waited patiently, and acted like adults in this matter, and I'm sorry you had to hear this.

Ken, you took our money. Lots of it. Then you didn't deliver. Then you stopped communication. Then you promised about 6 dates and let them all pass. Then more non-communication. Now you tell us to fuck off. And you seem to think that we are the bad guys.

Nice Job. Keep your units, I don't want them. You can keep my money, it'll be a lesson to me I suppose.

I havent told anyone to fuck off.. Thats YOU, dan.. So dont try to group everyone else in your little whining game..

You who could have called me at any time.. You, who I did give updates NUMEROUS times, and who I never PROMISED any date. All Ive done is report status.. And Ill continue to do so, until its done.. But when theres nothing to report.. Theres nothing to report.. And there is nothing to report..

If you really dont want your MIOS, Ill just ship them to the next person in line.. That will save me some time, and make someone happy (im not sure whos directly after you on the list)..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I havent told anyone to fuck off.. Thats YOU, dan.. So dont try to group everyone else in your little whining game..

You who could have called me at any time.. You, who I did give updates NUMEROUS times, and who I never PROMISED any date. All Ive done is report status.. And Ill continue to do so, until its done.. But when theres nothing to report.. Theres nothing to report.. And there is nothing to report..

If you really dont want your MIOS, Ill just ship them to the next person in line.. That will save me some time, and make someone happy (im not sure whos directly after you on the list)..

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not sure what sort of feud I jumped in on the middle of, but I think I'm getting screwed without cause.

First. I dropped over 500$ on this project. I bought 3, not just 1 that I wanted, but 3, in hopes of making this project a reality for everyone. My extras wont be sold on ebay, they will either sit in a box, or be given away to someone that will appreciate it. Bottom line I thought I was doing good trying to help the project. I'm all about trying to bring back old tech.

Second. Things moved a long nicely, at first. Lots of progress, lots of chats about this and that. Then, next thing I know, the aim user vanishes, and my emails get no reply. I've lived life, I know how things go, so I don't think much about it, for a couple months. So I make a post asking for info, and nothing happens for over a month. Now this.

I don't know how to even take your comment about sending me a bag of parts. You and I both know the odds of anyone other than you actually making the bag of parts into a working MIO are almost zero. So how am I to feel about that offer? Insulted?

I'd just like to know how it is that I deserve to be treated in such a way. At most I may be guilty of being eager to see this thing.

Have I asked for to much? Have I asked for anything more than seems fair? PLEASE, let me know if I have somehow offended you, or asked more than I am due.

Thanks

RobPatton

Rob, you dont need to be insulted. You just need to realize that if anyone is getting SCREWED here, it's me. But Im not complaining about that, because I offered to do it in good faith. What I do have a problem with is people like DAN WINSLOW becomming impatient, and whining, and showing absolutely no appreciation for this huge-assed task I have taken on,(and at a financial loss on top of it all. )

Don't be offended by what I said. But just know, that if Im not fast enough for you, Im sorry.. And the alternative, is that Ill send you exactly what you paid for.. Which is parts.. Because NOONE has paid a DIME for my labor.

I have a life.. I have friends.. I have a girlfriend.. I have family.. I have a daytime job... Just like everyone else on here. So how about taking a realistic view of the situation, and not getting shitty with me, and I promise that not only will I continue to assemble the MIOs, but I will make sure each and every last one of them is tested perfect before I ship it.

You know, I am sorry I havent maintained a very active web presence in the last few months. But.. This is no reason for anyone to assume that anything has changed, as far as the "in progress" status of assembly for the MIOs, or certainly, my inentions to complete the project. What it means is that I haev been busy as hell.

Anywayze.. DONT FREAK OUT... and everything will be just fine.

Balls!

I'm on the bottom of the list....

I guess that means Ken will have it all well figured out before I get mine :D

At least be happy you're on the first list. :D

I'm on an all-together different second list to have my 600xl upgraded to 512k, which will probably not happen until your MIOs are done. So don't feel too bad to be at the bottom of the MIO list.

I sure hope you guys get your MIO's soon!

:P

Edited by Xebec's Demise

I'm on an all-together different second list to have my 600xl upgraded to 512k, which will probably not happen until your MIOs are done. So don't feel too bad to be at the bottom of the MIO list.

I am interested in that upgrade too. I may just get the one from Germany.

I trust Ken will finish this project.(I am not saying it only because I live only 1 mile from him) He has let it be known that there are board problems with the vias(sp). I know its a bitch to find and you have to basicly check every freaking one on every freaking board and if you do not find a problem via then you have a MIO that acts wierd. Nobody wants that. It do no think it is fair for anyone to criticize Ken especially when he is working at a loss. Please be patient with him and it will get done.

I would like to help out more but I am busy with my wife's Braball so fun time has been limited.

Edited by Almost Rice

Rob, you dont need to be insulted. You just need to realize that if anyone is getting SCREWED here, it's me. But Im not complaining about that, because I offered to do it in good faith. What I do have a problem with is people like DAN WINSLOW becomming impatient, and whining, and showing absolutely no appreciation for this huge-assed task I have taken on,(and at a financial loss on top of it all. )

Don't be offended by what I said. But just know, that if Im not fast enough for you, Im sorry.. And the alternative, is that Ill send you exactly what you paid for.. Which is parts.. Because NOONE has paid a DIME for my labor.

I have a life.. I have friends.. I have a girlfriend.. I have family.. I have a daytime job... Just like everyone else on here. So how about taking a realistic view of the situation, and not getting shitty with me, and I promise that not only will I continue to assemble the MIOs, but I will make sure each and every last one of them is tested perfect before I ship it.

You know, I am sorry I havent maintained a very active web presence in the last few months. But.. This is no reason for anyone to assume that anything has changed, as far as the "in progress" status of assembly for the MIOs, or certainly, my inentions to complete the project. What it means is that I haev been busy as hell.

Anywayze.. DONT FREAK OUT... and everything will be just fine.

Most of the people who work on hardware projects have one or two pcb they are working on. Ken has a big assembly job with the MIO Project. Here are a few facts. Ken will lose all the labor dollars and time he invested into this project. He has lost money on part's and labor. I have made nothing for the debug code and other things that were provided for this project. And Yet he is still putting them together. He continues to put them together for one basic reason.

1:) He assured everyone they would get there product. 100% functional.

This is no easy task. ICD had a return rate of 60% on the 1 meg mio and 40% on the 256k mio. Ken took a design that the orginal designer stated "work by accendent". Ken's design is leaps and bounds ahead of what ICD orginally put out. Here are a few plus's I have code and a compiler that can compile a custom ROM for any MIO. Ken has provided me with the names of each of you who trusted him. Each of you will receive a register copy of real.dos If you like you can download the Real.dos Zip from my web site www.tcpipexpress.com. I know this because my node 4 on my bbs is running on a Ken MIO with a custom ROM.

Any way every one take care and hang in there. Ken doesn't want to send you something that doesn't meet his specs!

take care,

Stephen J. Carden