IGNORED

Atari SM124 monitor question

Hello All,

It's been a while since I visited this forum. Now I have a question. I scored an Atari B&W SM-124 monitor today which was cool. But when I load up games on my STe 1024, the graphics appear for the game then the monitor displays the graphics but they are all disjointed and look a mess on the screen. I loaded 'Outrun' and 'Star Ray' and both had these jumbled graphics and it seemed the monitor wouldn't display them properly.

So my question is, is the SM124 monitor just a monitor for text and will it not display graphics? Is it worth my time taking it apart to see if I can fix the problem? Any help with my question will be much appreciated as I want to get playing some good old ST games.

Cheers,

Nubian.

Most ST games are for colour only.

ST monochrome monitors can't display the low and medium resolution colour modes. Not even in greyscale.

So, no need to pull apart the monitor. The only mod you should consider for it is the one which expands the display (adjustment of the deflection magnets in the tube).

Sometimes will help you a colour monitor emulator for hires monitor, but usually - it is to slow refresh rite to run most colour games. But - if you want play on this monitor - search for HiRes mode game for ST (like some Chess, backgammon, StoneAge). It's more games, but i don't remember titles now...

Some very good adventure games can be played in mono.

Mortevielle Manor, Indiana Jones adventure game

Probably some of the first Sierra games on ST too...

Of course, some details are more difficult to see (the red ribbons for example) but graphs are more polished... and the games are still playable (I finished them in mono)