IGNORED

Vectrex Controller repair....

EricDeLee

Anyone know where I can get pictures of the inside of a Vectrex controller? I was told to just use an Atari joystick spring to fix the joystick controller... but after looking in my controller it is a vague description on how to repair that sucker.

I have one controller that is not self centering. That's a pain in the rear to play games on it.

So if anyone can help me out on fixing that puppy... It would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone know where I can get pictures of the inside of a Vectrex controller? I was told to just use an Atari joystick spring to fix the joystick controller... but after looking in my controller it is a vague description on how to repair that sucker.

I have one controller that is not self centering. That's a pain in the rear to play games on it.

So if anyone can help me out on fixing that puppy... It would be greatly appreciated.

this might help.

http://www.playvectrex.com/shoptalk/vecjoy...joyrepair_f.htm

this might help.

http://www.playvectrex.com/shoptalk/vecjoy...joyrepair_f.htm

That was helpful. The only thing is... I don't know where to put the spring. I realized a can't sell my extra very rare combat cart :roll: with no labels for $300 on ebay... so I am just going to rip open that sucker and steal that spring...

Just got to figure out where to put that thing. :P

Well... That's the thing... whoever had it before took it apart. There is not a spring in there. I hear that you can use the spring from a combat cart (the weird looking one that well.... looks weird). Then I heard that you use the spring in an Atari Joystick. But that is a different spring.

:(

Well... That's the thing... whoever had it before took it apart. There is not a spring in there.

There should be two springs .. one inside the vertical pot and one inside the horizontal pot.

* You must take the pot apart to access where the spring goes. Gently bend the tabs out to take the pot apart. *

Take a spring out of an early 2600 cart (like Combat) and trim it to fit. You must bend back two "ears" where you clip it to fit.

Good Luck!

(Other: Spinning Minestorm ship .. that is typically a problem with the Analog to Digital circuit inside the Vectrex.)

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(do note who wrote the disassembly on www.playvectrex.com)

Edited by Rob Mitchell

(Other: Spinning Minestorm ship .. that is typically a problem with the Analog to Digital circuit inside the Vectrex.)

But if it's genuinely only when a specific controller is hooked up, it would seem to imply a short somewhere in the controller.

But if it's genuinely only when a specific controller is hooked up, it would seem to imply a short somewhere in the controller.

Oh .. Ok .. Well there are small adjustment pots on the circuit board inside the controller. Maybe the horizontal one could be tweaked while the controller is plugged in? That's where I would start.

Oh .. Ok .. Well there are small adjustment pots on the circuit board inside the controller. Maybe the horizontal one could be tweaked while the controller is plugged in? That's where I would start.

Thanks for the tip I will give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know a resource for the joystick? I see Rob mentioned a Radio Shack one worked...is there somewhere online that sells old parts or joysticks like that?

Not that I know of .. The Radio Shack one has pots that do not self-center .. so only the two plastic levers are useful from it. I have one .. so I have two spare levers. What exactly do you need?

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting a post from the dead! :]

This thread came up in a search I just did when reassembling my Vectrex controller.

I had a Vectrex with the vertical spring broken.

Rather than harvest one from an Atari cart, I simply got some .020" diameter spring wire from a hobby shop, wrapped it around a screwdriver of the correct size, & trimmed the legs, & installed. Simple! I opened up the working pot & removed the intact torsion spring to use as a reference to be sure that my custom spring was of the correct size & wrap.

Hooray!

-Jason