IGNORED

What did someone do to my 520ST

I realized you should be able to get away under Windows using a bit of trickery...

- Format a standard 720 disk under XP.

- Use an ST emulator to create a mixed disk image, physically double sided, but logically single sided (elaborated below).

- Use an ST emulator to write the files to the disk image.

- Use any Windows utility to write back the image to the disk formatted in step 1.

- You should be able to read it now under your single sided ST.

The "mixed" disk can be created as following, everything under emulation:

- Create one standard double sided image (9 sectors per track, 80 tracks).

- Create one standard single sided image (again, 9 sectors per track, 80 tracks).

- Use an ST sector copier to copy the single sided image over the double sided one.

You have now an ST image for a 720k disk. But the boot sector indicates it's a single sided one. So you can write files (as it was single sided) under emulation, and it can also be read correctly on your real single sided ST. The physical double sided is needed for correct matching of the sectors when writing it back to the physical disk on the PC.

Thank ijor, I'll give that a shot.

Does anyone know why I can't use the double-sided drive from my broken 1040 in the 354? Is there some kind of conflict with the 354 hardware that makes the drive unusable, or is the drive just broken?

I'd like to get a new 1040 at this point, but the only one on ebay right now has a broken drive too :(

I’m not sure 100%, but I believe the 314 and the 354 are exactly the same except for the actual drive mechanism and the label. In the worst case, the side select signal is internally not wired, but this is hard to believe, it wouldn’t make much sense.

In either case, you should be able to format a single sided disk without problems. If you can’t, the drive is broken (or you connected it wrongly).

Don't forget to check the belt on the drive. If it's loose it won't work. I got three 354 drives and none of them worked and I was pulling out my hair about why till I looked and the belt wasn't good anymore. After a trip to the vcr repair store it started workign great.

Today, for $100, I bought:

Mega ST 4

ICD Link SCSI Adapter

ICD FaST SCSI Hard drive enclosure

Random SCSI hard drive

a Mountain of manuals

Software including neodesk

I'm in shock right now, I don't know what to do first. I guess I'll start getting software off of my STart disks, and install neodesk on the SH204. I don't even have a clue about dealing with the SCSI stuff.

:???:

Today, for $100, I bought:

Mega ST 4

ICD Link SCSI Adapter

ICD FaST SCSI Hard drive enclosure

Random SCSI hard drive

a Mountain of manuals

Software including neodesk

I'm in shock right now, I don't know what to do first. I guess I'll start getting software off of my STart disks, and install neodesk on the SH204. I don't even have a clue about dealing with the SCSI stuff.

:???:

Thats a pretty good deal. You're gonna have a lot of fun! Be sure and post here if

you have any questions. Someone will jump right in and try to help. :)