IGNORED

Video Game Conventions

82-T/A

Hey guys,

Sorry to post two new topics in the same 5 minutes, but I just noticed the add at the top saying "Midwest Gaming Classic". It occured to me... we get our fair share of car shows, auto auctions, events, whatever... but for the life of me, I don't think I've EVER seen a Video Game convention here in Florida, anywhere! or even Georgia for that matter!

Does anyone know why Florida isn't a consideration? Is it because it's in one of the extremes of the country in terms of location? Seems to me that Orlando or Fort Lauderdale would be a pretty decent location for a video game convention... :(

I'd have to agree on that. Would be nice if those of us down south could have something a bit local to us.

What would be the chances that someone would host one in Florida? I live in Fort Lauderdale, but I would be willing to drive up to even Georgia.

Or... maybe if they have one in Vegas, I'll fly out there for the weekend...?

I've visited convention centers in Orlando and like what I've seen... I am looking at this region for a 2007 or 08 VGXPO.

Ed

I would ABSOLUTELY go to one in Orlando. If you need any help with any planning or setting up or anything of that nature, please let me know. I am a huge nerd and would love the opportunity to help in any way that I can.

• 2 months later...

If you're going to do a convention in Georgia or Florida, I highly recommend holding it between November and March. I was just in Orlando for a convention at the end of July, and the heat/humidity were just oppressive. :( Ugh.

I don't know that I would ever go to another Convention in that area during the summer time again.

Summer time is hard... However, there is a lot to consider to convention planning. Time of year drastically affects the cost of a convention center, and each region has is peak times. For example, most northern states, the winter months are low cost, but in Orlando and Vegas the costs are the highest. In Philly, we would save some big $$$ if we did it in the winter, but then, it would be hard for many people to get to the show. We are looking at Orlanda, So Cal and a few other sites for the future. With E3 dead, it's looking like So. Cal might be our next location. As for Dallas, that market is overloaded... There are three other cons and one of them QuakeCon, is in the middle of the summer.