IGNORED

Star Fox 2 for SNES?

Yeah, Starfox was awesome on the SNES, and I know they had plans to release a second game. I know there's probably lots of you out there like me that have the Nintendo Power's that even had maps of the game and such. And as much a fan as I was, I always wanted it.

I was just wondering, since with the maps in the magazine, it had to be a fair ways into developement, what happened to it? Did Nintendo never release it? Or was it just released in Japan? I'd like to know what happened to it, and if it dissappeared, why? If I remember right, that was close to the 64 or something, so that may have killed it or something, but I never found out.

Nintendo said they would rerelease these type of games on the wii's virtual console, like the earthbound sequal... has this game been mentioned? id love to play it.. its amazing how many different ships, the graphics, the addition of characters like star wolf, a wierd looking great fox, and the oddly familiar enemy ships that look like star wars' star destroyers with a tail on the end.

It was basically done. There was A bug left to squish, and then it was just removing debug features.

Game was never released, and was killed to avoid conflicting with StarFox64.

Actually I've seen (and played) the ROM for the game. From what I can tell (on the user side), it appears to be basically finished, and there was/is even an English translation patch for this "final" version that took out the debugging stuff (or at least the access to it) in addition to translating all (or almost all) of the text in the game into English. It looked very much like what you would've expected from a final product, but darn it if that bug that was left in there wasn't squished.

To name the problem specifically, at arbitrary points in the game, the game tends to maybe freeze up and blink the screen incessantly. Although if you are lucky enough to avoid this problem, you can actually play all the way through the game from starting intro to ending credits. :cool:

All in all it's a great game. Too bad it was canned, but hopefully it'll show up for us on the Wii. Would be one more reason in an ever-growing list for me to purchase said console. :P

Edited by rockman_x_2002

It was basically done. There was A bug left to squish, and then it was just removing debug features.

Game was never released, and was killed to avoid conflicting with StarFox64.

Actually I've seen (and played) the ROM for the game. From what I can tell (on the user side), it appears to be basically finished, and there was/is even an English translation patch for this "final" version that took out the debugging stuff (or at least the access to it) in addition to translating all (or almost all) of the text in the game into English. It looked very much like what you would've expected from a final product, but darn it if that bug that was left in there wasn't squished.

Yeah. Gideon does good stuff.

And the version of the patch that removes the debugging stuff DOES squish the bug.

To name the problem specifically, at arbitrary points in the game, the game tends to maybe freeze up and blink the screen incessantly. Although if you are lucky enough to avoid this problem, you can actually play all the way through the game from starting intro to ending credits. :cool:
That's actually emulator errors, not code issues.

SNES emulation is a mess, really. There's a lot of messy issues that aren't immediatly visible.

All in all it's a great game. Too bad it was canned, but hopefully it'll show up for us on the Wii. Would be one more reason in an ever-growing list for me to purchase said console. :P

Yeah. A legimitate release would be nice.

Now that you mention it, JB, you're right.

Seems like I did read somewhere that if you managed to get a proper donor cart (Stunt Race FX maybe?) that could support the chips needed, you could hack together a working copy of SF2 that didn't crap out on a real SNES.

Unfortunately, I haven't the skills, parts, tools, manpower, brains, nerves, etc., to make such an animal. :P

So here's hoping for the Wii! :D

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Now that you mention it, JB, you're right.

Seems like I did read somewhere that if you managed to get a proper donor cart (Stunt Race FX maybe?) that could support the chips needed, you could hack together a working copy of SF2 that didn't crap out on a real SNES.

Unfortunately, I haven't the skills, parts, tools, manpower, brains, nerves, etc., to make such an animal. :P

So here's hoping for the Wii! :D

Or a better SNES emu!

Heck, here's hoping for BOTH.

There's a big article about in this month's Retro Gamer. According to Giles Goddard, Nintendo didn't want to release it due to not looking as good as the 3D from the Saturn and PS1 (to that point, the project had taken almost 2 years and was due for release in 1995).

Apparently a number of the ideas and thoughts created around the game were used by Miyamoto for SM64...

Yeah dude.. you guys are out of it. People make working english carts of Starfox 2 all the time. I forget the url already.. lemme find it.

That would be really awesome if you can find the URL. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Here it is http://snesdev.romhack.de/ It's been a while but I think for a time someone was selling them as well. I kind of doubt they still are but who knows.

Barring that, here's a Starfox 2 rom & an emulator that runs it. Although these ones are dated 2004 so they probably aren't the latest and greatest... I dunno. I dont have my regular pc's around me :P

Starfox_2_English.zip

does the english patch modify the ROM itself? another words, can a non bugged cart be made? I'd pay a lot for that...

Gid made 2 versions. 1 patch ONLY translates(so while it DOES change the ROM image, it's only dialog-related portions) while the other makes a "final" version with the last known bug squashed and all the debug features disabled.

Edited by JB

Star Fox 2 carts are out there in small numbers. Obe of the game designers made carts for family memebers and some of them have even been sold on ebay. All elements from Star Fox 2 that where considered "good" by Nintnedo where all implemented in to Star Fox 64 anyhow from what the game designers say. The same crew made SF2 and SF64 so I suppose they would know..lol.. :)

Star Fox 2 carts are out there in small numbers. Obe of the game designers made carts for family memebers and some of them have even been sold on ebay.

Anyone with an EPROM programmer can make a StarFox2 cart, provided they have a sacrificial SuperFX cart.

Ironically, though, they can't use StarFox to make StarFox 2, since StarFox uses glop-top chips.

It's possible that one of the team made some for family, but I wouldn't bet on any of the ones you see being part of that run.

Hell yeah, if I could get a Star Fox 2 cart, I'd pay a lot for that. And I'm a cheap ass useually. But Star Fox was one of my most favorite games for the SNES and a sequel would definately rule.

Oh yeah, get your roms now, cause if Nintendo does make Star Fox 2 available on the Wii, they'll probably actively squish the roms that are out there.

Hell yeah, if I could get a Star Fox 2 cart, I'd pay a lot for that. And I'm a cheap ass useually. But Star Fox was one of my most favorite games for the SNES and a sequel would definately rule.

Oh yeah, get your roms now, cause if Nintendo does make Star Fox 2 available on the Wii, they'll probably actively squish the roms that are out there.

They'll fail, for the same reason they haven't squished any other games offline. It's jsut too widely distributed.

Thanks for the Rom NE146 I played that game last night, all the way through. That was pretty fun, but I don't think it's as long as the original game was. Of course, it didn't seem to have a set path to follow either (On the map) you just run into the missiles, ships or plannets, whatever and fight that.

That transforming arwing trick was pretty cool though, instead of driving a tank, you had a mech sortof thing.

I still wonder why Nintendo hasn't released any star fox games for Game Boy though. I know it'll work, as I have several games proving the system is more powerful than the SNES with an FX chip was. And Star X was a blatant ripoff. A poor one, but it proved it would work.

Thanks for the Rom NE146 I played that game last night, all the way through. That was pretty fun, but I don't think it's as long as the original game was. Of course, it didn't seem to have a set path to follow either (On the map) you just run into the missiles, ships or plannets, whatever and fight that.

That transforming arwing trick was pretty cool though, instead of driving a tank, you had a mech sortof thing.

I still wonder why Nintendo hasn't released any star fox games for Game Boy though. I know it'll work, as I have several games proving the system is more powerful than the SNES with an FX chip was. And Star X was a blatant ripoff. A poor one, but it proved it would work.

There's one on its way for the DS.

• 1 year later...
Here it is http://snesdev.romhack.de/ It's been a while but I think for a time someone was selling them as well. I kind of doubt they still are but who knows.

Barring that, here's a Starfox 2 rom & an emulator that runs it. Although these ones are dated 2004 so they probably aren't the latest and greatest... I dunno. I dont have my regular pc's around me :P

Dude, thank you so much, ive been looking forever for one of these.