IGNORED

nes top loader worth it?

I'd agree with the folks telling ya to pass.

The toploader has been built up to be this great alternative to the toaster, but it's not.

Remeber, Nintendo didn't make it to improve on the toaster, they made it to be CHEAPER than the toaster, and it is. For all the reasons others have listed, it's an awful machine. Sure you can mod this and that, but who has the time/patience/skill for that? Replacing a pin connector just takes a screwdriver and 10 minutes.

Quoted for truth.

Where is the bashing and demeaning?

they did more than just take out the AV, and they did "cheapen" the parts. From what you've written I assume you've seen inside both models. If so, than how can you state the 2nd model is cheapened?

reason's for- no blinking problems and....

reason's against- lines in the picture, no AV, high price.

There i stated the reason's why l think it's awful, which in the original post I alluded to in the statment "For all the reasons others have listed." I mistakenly thought since other people listed them, i wouldn't need to restate them. Silly me.

If you buy a front loader, you may have to fix it, but at least you can fix it! Get a top loader that's broken, good luck to you.

Also, Nintendo designed the Top Loader to be cheaper to build in many ways. The RF circuitry was simplified, the expansion port on the bottom of the front-loader was removed (unnecessary as nothing used it), the LED was gone, no cartridge spring mechanism, smaller board layout, fewer passive components, standard cartridge connector (no need for custom designs anymore), eliminated the separate assembly for power/reset buttons. They also removed most, if not all, of the metal shielding I believe, which contributes greatly to the stripey graphics (and is probably why no mod has ever totally eliminated them.

Nintendo got it right when they redesigned the Famicom. As the Famicom AV, it retained all the functionality of the original Famicom (minus the seldom-used microphone on controller #2) and added two very nice features, detachable controllers and A/V output.

Edited by Great Hierophant

I'd agree with the folks telling ya to pass.

The toploader has been built up to be this great alternative to the toaster, but it's not.

Remeber, Nintendo didn't make it to improve on the toaster, they made it to be CHEAPER than the toaster, and it is. For all the reasons others have listed, it's an awful machine. Sure you can mod this and that, but who has the time/patience/skill for that? Replacing a pin connector just takes a screwdriver and 10 minutes.

Just because you replace a pin connector does not always mean that a toaster will work. We've had quite a few that no matter what we did they didn't work. It's alos the quality of the parts. Yes, they did take the AV out to be less expensive but that doesn't mean something is cheap quality.

Actually I love our toploaders. We have no problems. Oh BFD no AV, boo hoo guess that it should be sent to hell for that. :roll: Actually we'll take all the ones you guys don't want, how's that?

It's the cost that I had qualms about. Without anything at least to me they aren't worth that much $. We paid about 50-70 for ours but they came with controllers and all hook-ups and games as well.

We also have a YoBo, fun lil thing it is. :) Paid like 20-30 for it and imo it was worth that no problem and would do it again.

I don't see why everyone has to bash things and demean others just because they don't agree. :roll: (and I don't mean just you jesusc)

Saying something is awful says nothing at all in reality. There will always be differing opinions it's just what facts are presented to back it up?

You are quite understanding, I totally agree with you. I have 2 different toploaders and both work fine, I just dont like people dissing on it before they try it.

Yobo is small because the chips and boards can be made compact now and still hold the same info.

wow, i didn't realize it would generate this much discussion. if anyone reads this, i decided to get it. i was dissappointed with the lines in the screen, but got so immersed in the gameplay that i couldn't consistently get with the toaster that it didn't bother me at all. Out of 15 games, 14 loaded immediately on the first try. overall, since i traded an xbox 360 game that i had already beaten and a memory card that i didn't use, i ended up getting it for 19 bucks. So for 19 bucks it was worth it as a companion to the toasters. Thanks for the input from everyone.

You are quite understanding, I totally agree with you. I have 2 different toploaders and both work fine, I just dont like people dissing on it before they try it.

Yobo is small because the chips and boards can be made compact now and still hold the same info.

The problem is the Yobo doesn't have identical features.

The chip being used, while impressive, has glitches in it because the designers didn't have a perfect understanding of the NES.

It's a nice little piece of hardware, don't get me wrong.

But it doesn't have perfect compatibility, including some highly-prominent games like Legend of Zelda. That alone makes it inadequate as a replacement for an official NES or FamiCom.

Accurate sound is also impossible with the current chip, and I find sound one of the most important parts of a game after the gameplay.

Nice sig, BTW. :roll:

its all preference. two years ago a top loader would be costly but worth it, those yobo's have murdered the top loader market completely. they are a cheap solution to blinking toasters. but not as cheap as the new 72 pin. again its all preference.

Aren't the 72 pins $10 or so? I'm just asking cause I have quiet a few toasters, and they all need the pin replaced, or at least cleaned very well (I've never had luck cleaning them without taking them apart, and a 72 would seem like a good choice while I had the systems open anyways)