IGNORED

Commodore 64 fun!

I just picked up one! My ma found it out to the road, so she grabbed it, and it works, so its all good. Comes with the keyboard, monitor, disk drive, printer, and some games (which I already had quite a few), so woo!

Anyway, does anyone know if I install a 5 1/4 drive on my comp, if I can just download games off the net and play em on my C64?

Lemon 64 is a good place to get games for C64.

I have a program for C64 that can transfer files between MS-DOS and CBM-DOS format disks... it's called Tiny Yellow Brother....

I also have a few programs for the C64 that alow you to make use of the compressed files on the C64 (I'll have to go look to find their names)

you'll need a Commodore 1581 or 1571(I think that's the drive type)floppy drive because most of the files are images of disks for use in 1541 drives and they are to big for the 1541 drive....

[edited for a typo in the web address above]

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: SuperPsycho ]

oh yeah, if you look online you can find info(and some software) on how to hook up a Commodore 1541 floppy drive to your PC to get games and software onto disks for use with your C64 that way...

if you run a google search on "X1541" you should find information on how it works.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: SuperPsycho ]

Or go here:

http://sta.c64.org

As these guys INVENTED the cables, build them for sale ($10 inc p&p roughly) and have the best free software (Star Commander) for transfering between 1541 and PC.

All you do is connect your 1541 drive to your PC parallel port with the X/XE1541 cable (XE for Pentiums recommended) and run the software. Then you can transfer either way, sole programs or whole discs.

• 2 weeks later...

I built an X1541 cable a long time ago, and it was really easy... it's not the fastest solution (the XA1541 device my brother bought was MUCH quicker), but it works nicely.

As long as you have a spare C-64 serial cable, and any spare cable with a 25-pin port on it, you can just cut them apart and splice the wires together. It won't look very professional, but the price can't be beat. Oh, if you have neither cable, you can probably find them for cheap at thrift stores.

I have to say though, you might have better results buying some of the games over eBay... anything by Epyx is painfully slow without the fastloader that is missing in the cracked versions...

--Zero

Goto the link I posted. There's a reseller shop in the US (run by Burt) who can sell you the right cable for under $10. And you get the software there as well. Plus all the tech help you might need to get it working...