IGNORED

Super Pac-Man Techniques

tschak909

am looking at the disassembly for super pac-man, looks like a typical mode 4 playfield.. but am curious, how is

(a) pac-man so big in super mode?

(b) how are the multiple players able to be used even on the same horizontal line without flickering?? (for both pacman and the ghosts)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Totally agree on his comments of too many developers not using the machine's capabilities properly.

Even with only 16K ROM + 16K RAM, there is plenty you can do.

Too bad about Super Pacman - but the whole PacMan thing was wearing pretty thin by the mid 80's. That was half of the problem with Atari by 1984 - flogging the arcade classics to death while the competition had developers doing original games with depth - and distributing on 180K disks vs mainly 16K ROMs.

amazing read!!! I enjoyed this VERY much, and it seems to be reaffirming my design strategy towards my space invaders game. I am trying to use the player/missile stuff very sparingly, and i probably won't get to it until later in the design process...

btw, Super Pacman is in my opinion, one of the best Atari 800 games, ever!

-Thom

btw, Super Pacman is in my opinion, one of the best Atari 800 games, ever!

It is an amazing. As complete as it was, I can not believe they did not publish the game. I remember playing it during the late 80s after getting a modem. It would be cool to get the 20k version of the game.

Edited by Almost Rice

http://www.fyyff.com/mt/archives/000723.html

(a) two players and a missile

(b) some are characters and not player-missiles.

Great article, thanks for sharing it. Always cool to read about how some of these games were accomplished on the 8-bit, and Super Pac-Man is a wonderful port of the arcade game. I, too, wondered how some of these tricks were pulled off.

..Al