IGNORED

Games you were excited for..then disappointed with

Lord Helmet

One game I was really excited about was Title Match Pro Wrestling. I was so excited when I saw it in the toy store and quickly laid down my $25. All my friends had Pro Wrestling for the NES at the time and I was shocked to see a wrestling game for the Atari 2600. I bought the game and read through the instructions on the way home. I loved the fact that there seems to be a bunch of moves and the fact you could have tag teams. I was horribly disappointed with the game when I actually played it. I think I was expecting more than the 2600 could deliver. I now realize that it is pretty impressive at home much they could patch into that cart. My major problem with the game is how quick your power level goes down. I think it would have been a much better game if your power went down a lot slower.

Almost forgot about Slot Racers. Bought it purely for the spectacular artwork and the description on the back of the box only to be totally gutted when I finally plugged it in. The same was true for Space War, what a con ;)

I'll second Slot Racers. I saw the artwork and thought it would be some futuristic racer instead of a bunch of slow moving blocks of crud. Thankfully I didn't buy it, I borrowed it first!

Tempest

Almost forgot about Slot Racers. Bought it purely for the spectacular artwork and the description on the back of the box only to be totally gutted when I finally plugged it in. The same was true for Space War, what a con ;)

Yeah, but the guy who did Slot Racers than turned around and designed an adventure gaming engine (used for both Adventure and Superman)

lets not forget Raiders of the lost ark for the 2600 that was a dud for sure

Not for me it was.

I was fascinated by it from start to finish.

8)

I loved parts of the game, especially near the end, but using two joysticks got to be too much trouble, so I eventually quit playing.

Popeye looked bad but played rather like the arcade game.

Congo Bongo really sucked but the arcade game wasn't all that great either.

That's not to say they weren't a disappointment to some4 people

I totally agree with you on Popeye. I also think graphically it sure looked a lot nicer than Donkey Kong.

The problem with Congo Bongo is that the game in the arcade was famous because it had better than average graphics at the time and a lot of color. But, it played like crap, even in the arcade, because Sega was riding the big monkey wave started by Nintendo.

So it looked great, but wasn't oo good. So by porting it on to the 2600, you took away the only thing that made it worth playing, which of course were the graphics.

-Ray

Congo Bongo was really ambitious at trying to marry the concepts of Donkey Kong and Frogger with the isometric view of Zaxxon, but it just made the final result less enjoyable to play. What didn't work all that well in the arcade worked even less on the 2600.

To ntavio: Surround came out before TRON did. It was basically a copy of Midway's Checkmate game that was also released some years before TRON.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

Not for me it was.

8)

I loved it too. I wish there were more games like it on the VCS

I still have no idea why people talk down about Raiders, it was a cool game and how about all those screens. Good game, maybe not the best but pretty damn good overall. It would make my top 100 no problem.

Not for me it was.

8)

I loved it too. I wish there were more games like it on the VCS

I still have no idea why people talk down about Raiders, it was a cool game and how about all those screens. Good game, maybe not the best but pretty damn good overall. It would make my top 100 no problem.

Yep.....This was the first game I solved by myself without any help......I was sooo proud of myself :D

Great game.

• 4 years later...

Swordquest has got to be the big time loser in my opinion.

I'm an Adventure nut, and this looked so cool...but wait...what's the point??? And what's the objective? Clues in the comic book, send away to try to win some convoluted contest???

The game is pointless. I've never played it for more than 2-3 minutes before I remind myself, this game has NO point, no objective...there's nothing you are searching for to win the game...there's nothing you're trying to kill to save the kingdom...it's just POINTLESS!

Now, that being said, I'd like to see some of the concepts and cool rooms turned into a REAL Adventure type game, where there are traps between you and certain objects you need (you know, cross through the "flames" or beams to get to the key for the black castle...now that would make sense).

I was disappointed in a few games. Pac-Man was one, I think mostly because of the layout difference. The gameplay was alright, but I expected a more "arcade" like layout to the maze. Defender and Donkey Kong were probably the two biggest disappointments for me, though. Both lacked severely in the gameplay department. Defender, I actually went to three different stores looking for before I found a copy. It sold out really quick.