Ones I don't quite know:

Xonox

Xevious

Ones I do know:

Combat -- KOM bat

Mortal Kombat 4 -- More tall KOM bat FOR

Karateka -- *blip*

Cait Sith -- Ket Shee

Along the lines of Stargate, here's another pet peeve of mine...

Super GT is pronounced SCUD RACE :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Edited by shadow460

I pronounce Galaga "gal-a-guh". That's how it's *always* been pronounced, not just by me. If someone tells you it's pronounced different, they're being revisionist. The "gala" comes from "galaxy"; and you don't pronounce "galaxy" as "g'lAxy", do you?

As for any Japanese titles or names, here's a quick and dirty lesson in Japanese pronunciation that should get you through any situation.

They have the same vowels we do. But they are always, ALWAYS pronounced similar to this:

a - "ah"

i - "ee"

u - "oo"

e - "eh"

o - "oh"

When you put these vowels together, you still pronounce them that same way. You just sort of roll one into the other. Thus, Taito becomes "Tie-toe" if you represent it in English, because it's really "tah-ee-toh". Same with Gaiden, which is "gah-ee-dehn". Say it fast enough and it's "guyden".

Japanese is a basically phonetic language, meaning every word is pronounced the way it's spelled (unless it's kanji, but kanji words can all be represented by kana, the phonetic alphabets). So if you just remember the pronunciations of the vowels, you will be able to properly pronounce any Japanese name with only a little bit of practice.

Well, ok, you still won't get the "r" sounds right. But that's for another day.

Oh, and as for things like "Cait Sith"... yeah, there are purists that will insist it's supposed to be pronounced "Ket Shee" (I'm not sure, but I'm betting it really should be "keiito shiisu" or possibly it is "keeto shii"). But that's wrong; it's assuming it's a Japanese name to begin with, which it isn't. (These are the same people that insist Aeris should be both spelled and pronounced "Aerith" when there is no such spelling or pronunciation possible in Japanese. At most, if you're a purist it should be spelled "Aerith" and pronounced "Aeris", but this makes no sense in English.) In fact, that's kind of like us pronouncing "Taito" as "tey-toe". It's the closest they can really get to pronouncing a name like "Cait Sith" in Japanese with their phonetic alphabet, but it isn't a Japanese name. So the proper pronunciation of that name is "Kate Sith", just like it looks in English. The fact that they don't pronounce it properly doesn't mean we shouldn't. But we *can* attempt to pronounce Japanese names properly in English; we don't have a phonetic alphabet, and we can have more than one pronunciation for a given spelling. We don't have to follow exactly how it looks like something should be pronounced in English, as the Japanese have to do with English words in Japanese.

btw, I forgot to add that the name "Cait Sith" is partly a Star Wars reference, just like Biggs and Wedge in all the FF games. You don't call Darth Vader a "Shee Lord", do you?

Edited by spacecadet

• 2 weeks later...
The speech system on my Mac pronounces them this way.

Pleiads - Ply-"E"-ids

Dammit, didn't anyone take astronomy?

Pleiades is pronounced "PLAY-id-ease"

It might help to remember that the second "e" is not silent if you don't forget to put it in in the first place. :roll:

Though I'm not sure how much difference it will make to Sly's Mac. :ponder:

• 12 years later...

Retronauts (the podcast) likes to pronouce Xevious as

ZEH-vee-us

which I suppose makes sense, if it were a Japanese word

But I don't think it is ... at least not in my little American-centric mind. It's dangerous, it's devious, it's XEVIOUS (ZEE-vee-us)

right?

Don't make me read stuff I wrote 12 years ago!

I'm pretty sure "Xevious" is an American title and should be pronounced "Zee-vee-us".

• Like 1

Gala-ga. Not Ga-laga.

Zee-vee-us.

En-Ee-Ess and Ess-En-Ee-Ess.

One I've never understood is the different ways people pronounce Sega.

At the beginning of MANY Genesis games, it actually says "Say-guh!" But so many people pronounce it "Sea-Guh" or even "Seg-uh". Am I just hearing it different?