IGNORED

found NES games in trash

Some of you here know that I am a dumpster diver. Well, I find just about everything behind Goodwill, from big TVs to clothing. Anyway, the other night I went dumpster diving, and after loading my car with jars of antique coins those morons threw out, I actually found a big bag of Nintendo games. Here Are the games I found. The games with a * beside them are the ones I am thinking about keeping. All others I might trade. I just wanted to share with you guys what I found, and see what you think:

SILVER SURFER

DOUBLE DRAGON (I guess this means I can throw out my 7800 version :D j/k)

NINJA

PRO AM

CONTRA

DONKEY KONG

T2 *

ROCKIN KATS*

LINK

MARIO 3

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS*

THE PUNISHER*

PAC MAN (bad label)

LEGACY OF THE WIZARD*

CASTLEVANIA*

TETRIS*

NINJA II*

SUPER MARIO / DUCK HUNT / TRACK MEET

TEENAGE MUTANT

HOGANS ALLEY*

JACKAL*

I also found a game with a real bad label. I cant make out the name, but I think it ends with ...illy

There is an alligator at the bottom of the label. Most of the label is torn off.

I havent played with any of these yet.

Some of you here know that I am a dumpster diver. Well, I find just about everything behind Goodwill, from big TVs to clothing. Anyway, the other night I went dumpster diving, and after loading my car with jars of antique coins those morons threw out, I actually found a big bag of Nintendo games. Here Are the games I found. The games with a * beside them are the ones I am thinking about keeping. All others I might trade. I just wanted to share with you guys what I found, and see what you think:

SILVER SURFER

DOUBLE DRAGON (I guess this means I can throw out my 7800 version :D j/k)

NINJA

PRO AM

CONTRA

DONKEY KONG

T2 *

ROCKIN KATS*

LINK

MARIO 3

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS*

THE PUNISHER*

PAC MAN (bad label)

LEGACY OF THE WIZARD*

CASTLEVANIA*

TETRIS*

NINJA II*

SUPER MARIO / DUCK HUNT / TRACK MEET

TEENAGE MUTANT

HOGANS ALLEY*

JACKAL*

I also found a game with a real bad label. I cant make out the name, but I think it ends with ...illy

There is an alligator at the bottom of the label. Most of the label is torn off.

nice!! i wouldnt have the guts to go dumpster diving.

as for the game with no name....I believe it is "the adventures of bayou billy".

Nice find man. That game, It's probably Bayou Billy. That game in particular sucks bad.

Congrats on the NES find.

I also dumpster dive, well sort of, I check thrifts at night to try and find donations that are left in front of stores, or on the sidewalks. I have'nt dived a dumpster in a while but I've seen guys doing it, but yeah it does take guts because you could get rudely asked to leave.

What tips do you have on dumpster diving:? Is it best at night time, or during the day:?

Any tips are appreciated. :cool:

Join me, Young Skywalker. I will complete your training.

This is what you do:

unless you know the people at the goodwill, dont dumpster dive in the day.

Scratch that.

better yet,

try it in the daytime first. If a lady comes out and bitches, just say something to back and then leave. If nothing happens, daytime diving is Ok there. But I do my diving at night, because I got bitche at. dont worry, nothing is going to happen. Its not like thye are going to shoot you. But if you dont want to try the daytime thing, then just skip right over to plan B, night diving. Be sure to bring a flashlight. Get there just when it gets datk, just a little after the store closes. If you wait too late, the other divers will snatch all the good stuff. (there is some competition)

At night, pull up your car, and climb in. Take anything of value. Most of it you can sell in the paper.

(the goodwill near me has a habit of throwing things out. Im not sure if the Goddwill near you is wasteful or not) But anyway, some nights are better than others. Sometimes there isnt jack. Other times, theres loads of stuff. Theres nothing to be scared of. Its not like some chicks you have a crush on are going to be walking down the alley and taking pics of you or something. Just get in and dig around. I dont suggest taking things from the donation area. This might be classified as stealing. But dumpster diving isnt. In fact, cops drive by in the allrey way when Im doing it and dont care.

If you have apickup truck, use that instead of a cr, somethines they throw out good funiture.

Ill post more dumpster dive finds here in the future.

thats my advise. The force is with you young skywalker, but youre not a jedi, yet you need to defeat your fear of the dumpster first. now get in and get rich!

Edited by ComputerCollector

Some of you here know that I am a dumpster diver. Well, I find just about everything behind Goodwill, from big TVs to clothing. Anyway, the other night I went dumpster diving, and after loading my car with jars of antique coins those morons threw out,

Question #1

WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY THROW OUT MONEY?

Question #2

What kind of coins were they, I am a casual collector.

are thrift stores the same as goodwill stores?

Pretty much, except that Goodwill is a little picker about what they take in. Stuff costs a little more there, but it's better quality, too. I've got an N64 that I purchased from Goodwill for $3, and I've got a toaster (the kind you toast bread with, not the NES). They both work great.

Around here, many of the used games stores will physically break things before they throw them out. That's to prevent people from dumpster diving and then selling what they dove back to the game store.

If you know the employees, sometimes you can get dibbs on their trash before it's "processed" for disposal. Sadly, they dispose of all Saturn cartridges except the NetLink, the Sega Backup, and possibly the proprietary ROM carts. Even the Action Replay gets smashed and trashed.

I'm willing to bet that Goodwill tosses more used game stuff than any other thrift shop around here, since you hardly ever see video games in the place.

Oh, keep Contra--it's worth a couple bucks.

are thrift stores the same as goodwill stores?

Pretty much, except that Goodwill is a little picker about what they take in. Stuff costs a little more there, but it's better quality, too. I've got an N64 that I purchased from Goodwill for $3, and I've got a toaster (the kind you toast bread with, not the NES). They both work great.

Around here, many of the used games stores will physically break things before they throw them out. That's to prevent people from dumpster diving and then selling what they dove back to the game store.

If you know the employees, sometimes you can get dibbs on their trash before it's "processed" for disposal. Sadly, they dispose of all Saturn cartridges except the NetLink, the Sega Backup, and possibly the proprietary ROM carts. Even the Action Replay gets smashed and trashed.

I'm willing to bet that Goodwill tosses more used game stuff than any other thrift shop around here, since you hardly ever see video games in the place.

Oh, keep Contra--it's worth a couple bucks.

A few years ago I worked at goodwill and THAT is why you didn't see any games there. :P

But really, you would be suprised how few games actually go through there.

-Tim :)

Join me, Young Skywalker. I will complete your training.

This is what you do:

unless you know the people at the goodwill, dont dumpster dive in the day.

Scratch that.

better yet,

try it in the daytime first. If a lady comes out and bitches, just say something to back and then leave. If nothing happens, daytime diving is Ok there. But I do my diving at night, because I got bitche at. dont worry, nothing is going to happen. Its not like thye are going to shoot you. But if you dont want to try the daytime thing, then just skip right over to plan B, night diving. Be sure to bring a flashlight. Get there just when it gets datk, just a little after the store closes. If you wait too late, the other divers will snatch all the good stuff. (there is some competition)

At night, pull up your car, and climb in. Take anything of value. Most of it you can sell in the paper.

(the goodwill near me has a habit of throwing things out. Im not sure if the Goddwill near you is wasteful or not) But anyway, some nights are better than others. Sometimes there isnt jack. Other times, theres loads of stuff. Theres nothing to be scared of. Its not like some chicks you have a crush on are going to be walking down the alley and taking pics of you or something. Just get in and dig around. I dont suggest taking things from the donation area. This might be classified as stealing. But dumpster diving isnt. In fact, cops drive by in the allrey way when Im doing it and dont care.

If you have apickup truck, use that instead of a cr, somethines they throw out good funiture.

Ill post more dumpster dive finds here in the future.

thats my advise. The force is with you young skywalker, but youre not a jedi, yet you need to defeat your fear of the dumpster first. now get in and get rich!

The reason they don't want people dumpster diving is that they make a huge mess (throwing things out of the dumpster, etc) and then the employees have to clean it up in the morning. And if it rained.... :x :x :x Trust me its annoying. So if you dumpster dive be nice and don't make a mess. When I worked at goodwill I would empty old shampoo, cosmetics, old food products etc on top of all the stuff in the dumpster so when people would jump in :evil: . But I never threw anything away in the dumpster people would want.....I put those things in the trash compactor. :)

-Tim

I also dumpster dive, well sort of, I check thrifts at night to try and find donations that are left in front of stores,

so basically you steal donations before they have a chance to be bought in the stores.. nice, you should feel real good about yourself.

When I worked at a gaming store, we had a lock on our dumpster. Everyday for a week, someone cut the lock off with a bolt cutter and DESTROYED our back area, tossing shit everywhere. Ok, my boss thought, this ends today. He had me go to the drug store and buy a bunch of needles, the kind you put in syringes. We spread them around the inside of the dumpster. After that, no one EVER messed with our dumpster again.

BTW, gaming stores almost NEVER throw out working stuff. 1 out of a 1000 things they throw out will actually work.

I also dumpster dive, well sort of, I check thrifts at night to try and find donations that are left in front of stores,

so basically you steal donations before they have a chance to be bought in the stores.. nice, you should feel real good about yourself.

Around here, if something's left ouside the donation bin, it is considered trash and whoever leaves it can be cited for littering.

I don't go around raiding donation bins, though.

I also dumpster dive, well sort of, I check thrifts at night to try and find donations that are left in front of stores, or on the sidewalks.

I hate people who do that. You're effectively stealing.

Dumpster diving is fine, its been thrown out, but picking through the donations?

Hell, you might as well start taking money from the poor box.

I know a few people that do that too - I personally don't - but I don't have anything against it. First of all, stuff left out on the street at night could get ruined by weather. Second it is actually illegal to "dump" stuff outside at thrifts during the night and causes headaches for the workers as they can't approve what is being left (like my Salvation Army that doesn't take tube monitors/TVs). While I personally wouldn't do it, I have no moral objections to people that do.

sorry can't agree with you there, you shouldn't be rooting through donations, donations that benefit charity, regardless of it being left out, regardless of what it is, the place can choose to sell the stuff or throw it away, and i bet there are 0 citations issued for any place to anybody for leaving something out front of a donation center after hours. Stealing from a charity and donation center is just low, very low.

and i bet there are 0 citations issued for any place to anybody for leaving something out front of a donation center after hours.

You would lose that bet. When I worked at Goodwill if people dumped a huge load a crap in the middle of the night and we could see the license plate on camera we would call the cops. A week later we would get some angry person in yelling at us for getting a ticket.

And most of the time (but not always) the people who drop crap off in the middle of the night do it because they know the store won't take it.

-Tim

The one friend I know that has a tendancy to root around the Goodwill/Salvation Armies who regularly brings stuff home and 9/10 times finds the "dumped" items don't work like Tim said. Fortunately, he is very handy, usually fixes stuff as it's usually just a bad wire or something. I know that his microwave, phone and I think his stereo were all late night Goodwill finds that didn't work once he got them home.

Edited by n8littlefield