IGNORED

PS3 titles to be $64.99?

King_Salamon

I was just browsing around for pre-orders and I came across some PS3 and Wii titles. It appears that the initial price for PS3 games will be $64.99 ($74.99 Canadian) which puts them $5 higher than 360 titles and potentially $15 higher than Wii titles. All speculation but it isn't unreasonable.

I thought for sure Sony would tag their titles at $70 US ($80 Canadian).

I was just browsing around for pre-orders and I came across some PS3 and Wii titles. It appears that the initial price for PS3 games will be $64.99 ($74.99 Canadian) which puts them $5 higher than 360 titles and potentially $15 higher than Wii titles. All speculation but it isn't unreasonable.

The one problem with pre-orders right now is that nobody knows the actual prices. So stores will price at a higher price just to be safe.

I guess if Sony wants to position the PS3 as the premium game system this generation, then pricing games at a higher price point makes sense. After all they will be using Blu-Ray discs and not DVD's.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some ps3 games

reach $90.00 since media capacity is no longer

an obsticle to hinder game development and developers

can now focus on both massive amounts of gameplay and

ultra detailed high defination enviroments, instead of sacrificing

one for the other.

Edited by warmachine

It will cost a bundle to even come close to

filling 54 gigs full of content, but it will be worth it.

On a possibly related note, I hear that gta 4 on the 360

will have downloadable content, like missions and stuff.

It would seem that since this game will be released on both

systems, that the ps3 version will be the full game and the

360 version will have part of the game on dvd and part of

the game will be downloaded from the internet.

If that is the case, than it puts those who either bought the

core system, or those those who don't have access to live

at a disadvantage when it comes to playing the top games

realeased on both systems since they would have to settle

for paying full price for only half of a game.

Edited by warmachine

how would the ps2 not get as much content , when the ps2 has a harddrive available for it , and the wii will be able to dload levels and characters and missions , and that only has 512 mb of memory to save things too (from the start, you can upgrade)?

Yeah, can't wait till all that space is filled with even more videos and music instead of actual game.

Yeah, can't wait till all that space is filled with even more videos and music instead of actual game.

Rebeal Assault 3, anyone?

BTW, can't you just add a hard drive to the 360 core?

Rebeal Assault 3, anyone?

BTW, can't you just add a hard drive to the 360 core?

yes you can

how would the ps2 not get as much content , when the ps2 has a harddrive available for it , and the wii will be able to dload levels and characters and missions , and that only has 512 mb of memory to save things too (from the start, you can upgrade)?

I'm assuming that you mean the xbox 360 instead of the ps2.

I'm not saying that the 360 will not have as much content as the ps3.

I'm just saying that if developers decide to make a higher capacity game

for both systems, that publishers will take advantage of both systems

strong points. the 360's strong point is xbox live which could be used to

download content to the hard drive that just will not fit on a standard dvd.

The ps3's strong point is the blu-ray media which can hold a massive amount

of content without the need to download any extra content.

I'm just using gta as an example since each incarnation of the series nearly

doubles in size with eash new game.

I think that's probably just a placeholder price. I would expect PS3 games to be priced the same as 360 games, simply because most will be cross-platform titles by 3rd parties. Chances are they will be the same, unless Blueray discs cost significantly more to produce, I personally haven't done much reading on that since my wife and I have pretty much settled on buying the Wii.

I think that's probably just a placeholder price. I would expect PS3 games to be priced the same as 360 games, simply because most will be cross-platform titles by 3rd parties. Chances are they will be the same, unless Blueray discs cost significantly more to produce, I personally haven't done much reading on that since my wife and I have pretty much settled on buying the Wii.

yea pretty much what im doing. Ill buy a Wii this fall, and wait till the other 2 duke it out, and buy who ever is on top at the end of it all. (on top= best games for the best price.. right now nieghter system looks like it has any games i want to the point of making me buy a system for it, and honestly both systems are too expensive in my mind.. so maybe a couple years wait)

Edited by AtariJr

I made a new rule for myself. I won't buy a new system unless there are at least 5 games I want to play on it.

360 has a couple currently and when you consider the BC games I would like to play (Never had an XBox) there are easily 5+ titles for me.

Wii has none, until launch that is, and then it will have Zelda, Metroid and a new Wario title. That's 3 and I also want to play a couple GameCube titles (I sold my cube a while ago).

PS3 - I don't see any titles that I want to play and my PS2 is a DVD player and Karaoke machine right now... so I really don't have plans on getting one for a long while. I think I will wait for Sony to show me something worth having a $600 hightech doorstop for. BluRay is not the answer.

Ubisoft's recent announcements really sweetened the Wii deal for me. I was really going back and forth between the 360 and Wii, and the fact that there will be a better mix on the Wii than I expected solidified the decision.

If I buy my Wii at tax time (Feb) I could actually get Nintendo standby's like Mario plus stuff like Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Farcry - something I really didn't expect so close to launch. The 3rd party thing seems much better than with the Cube's launch.

I suppose Nintendo is the company that is the true gaming company out of the bunch. It makes sense then, that they would be the ones listening to what gamers want. They learn from mistakes and they realize they are not 'THE industry' as they mistakenly did back in the NES days. (Could this be Sony's path?)

3rd party support is critical and I hope the Wii can carry on with it into the first 6 months of 2007!

I actually worry about Sony this round - which is hard for me to say as a loyal PS1/PS2 owner. I really think they are going to lose some users by having too high a price point out of the gate. If Blue ray not only adds to the price of the system but to the games as well, it will be an even tougher sell.

The test for Sony is simple. They need their games to look significantly better than the 360 or they are in trouble. You need something to justify that cost other than Blueray movies. If they managed, for example, to get EA to make Madden look tons better on the PS3, they'd be set. Otherwise, I really worry that the PS3 could lose to the 360 this round.

There was an article on IGN (I think) about what everyone thought would happen this generation. Every person had a different prediction (for the most part) and I guess in August 2007 we can start to pass judgement.

I have been talking to friends and relatives and one of the nephews of the neighbour was planning on selling his 360 as he wants to buy a PS3 this fall. I have also talked to a buddy who is determined to buy one as well. Sony has developed some loyal customers and goes to show that they may not be in too much trouble.

Sony will do well in Japan (as the 360 is not doing well at all) but I think that Nintendo will manage to gain some market share and perform much better than the GameCube.

In America, 360 and PS3 will contend for the title but again, Wii will gain market. Who knows for sure but they could become a contender with enough 3rd party support.

I wonder how well a Wii version of the GTA Trilogy would sell? Perhaps GTA IV will make it to the Wii... after all IV is half of Wii. :P

I actually worry about Sony this round - which is hard for me to say as a loyal PS1/PS2 owner. I really think they are going to lose some users by having too high a price point out of the gate. If Blue ray not only adds to the price of the system but to the games as well, it will be an even tougher sell.

The test for Sony is simple. They need their games to look significantly better than the 360 or they are in trouble. You need something to justify that cost other than Blueray movies. If they managed, for example, to get EA to make Madden look tons better on the PS3, they'd be set. Otherwise, I really worry that the PS3 could lose to the 360 this round.

To sega saturn x: yes, the ps3 will probably do well in the beginning as the true fans will gobble up the system at first. But i have a bad feeling that the ps3 might see a fate similar or worse than psp. It started pretty well, then after a while it started to fade. And i think that since production costs are going to be so high to make a game for the ps3, your going to start seeing what happened with the psp, which is a major loss of support, as well as a loss of support since the system doesnt selll as well becuase of its price point.

n8littleflield: Yes i think the price on both hardware and software will hurt them, esp if they dont have a price drop soon after lauinch like the psp didnt. As far as the EA thing goes for madden and other games, i wouldnt count on it. Remember this gen? Every sports game was made for ps2 , the weakest, and ported to the other two... so i doubt youll see a difference. I think the Wii and 360 will be different builds, but the ps3 will be a port from the 360 version to cut costs just like this generation of systems. Even other developers and titles like Rayman, will be put on the other 2 systems, but will actually be a port with differnt controll from the Wii version. This isnt the only game that will be like this either, others have siad that they are making the Wii version of a title and then later porting to the other two systems. So for games made for all 3 systems, or the 360 and Ps3, i think we'll be near out of luck for a specific ps3 build. If you want to see what the system can really do over 360, i think you are going to have to look at the ps3's exclusive titles.

Edited by AtariJr

Just another reason to wait 6 monthes to a year to buy a Ps3, Nintendo is going to murder 360 and ps3 just because it costs the least amount and parents like that

Not to mention it has super smash comming out, mario games

and u can download tons of games for free including sega and TG-16 titles, and most people dont know about TG-16 but it is still a feture that adds to the already great listings above :)

Edited by Dusk2600

Just another reason to wait 6 monthes to a year to buy a Ps3, Nintendo is going to murder 360 and ps3 just because it costs the least amount and parents like that

Not to mention it has super smash comming out, mario games

and u can download tons of games for free including sega and TG-16 titles, and most people dont know about TG-16 but it is still a feture that adds to the already great listings above :)

And there you have it folks, we can all stop speculating now....

somehow, I doubt that nintendo will let you download anything for free

unless it's a demo, promotional item, or firmware update to prevent

the system from being used for piracy. Even then, you still have to pay a fee to use the "virtual console".

I'm not sure if anything's changed since the last time I read up on the new consoles,

but isn't microsoft and sony doing the same thing?

Edited by warmachine

The one problem with pre-orders right now is that nobody knows the actual prices. So stores will price at a higher price just to be safe.

I guess if Sony wants to position the PS3 as the premium game system this generation, then pricing games at a higher price point makes sense. After all they will be using Blu-Ray discs and not DVD's.

pre orders?? where? i work for best buy, and we are not taking any pre orders for the ps3 or its games...its first come first serve..as for the games the 64.99 is ONLY estimated..it might be more or mabey less..but im betting more..nobody can get a exact quote..this is really pissing off a lot of customers. not to mention us employees as well..