IGNORED

New House = I'm getting an upright :)

Shawn

Hey All,

I'm moving in about a month and do to my new house being much larger than my current house and also having a finished basement I'v got the green light from the wife to get an upright arcade. She said no to a snooker table but yes to an arcade. I knew full well she would say no to a snooker table so that is why I threw that idea at her first cause I knew an upright would be a breeze to get in the house compaired to a 500 pound felted hunk of oak :lol: .

So it seems I'm finally gonna have a game room agian for the first time sense the wife and I moved in together 4 years ago. Enough with the ramble, anyone know of arcade dealers or just plain old anyone selling an arcade(s) in the Eastern Ontario, Canada area? Would be nice to get a working arcade but a dead one is fine also cause I'll just convert it or resotore it depending on what game it is. Any and all help is greatly appricated.

Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

I would say to watch Ebay and be patient. I have got a few at a steal in my area (MN) from playing the waiting game. When getting the authorization from the wife for a Coin-op it's very easy to jump on the first couple you see (Thats how I ended up with E-Swat) but trust me....wait until you find a nice priced one that you really want, they are out there. You probably have something in mind but if not I would also recommend a JAMMA cab. This way you can change the game up rather easily. I just picked up a Ms. Pac Man that was converted to Jamma for 155 bucks on Ebay three weeks ago. I'm going to restore it to look like a GALAGA and then install a 48 in 1 multi Jamma board in it. Did you have a game in mind you where looking for? I frequently watch Ebay for them so I could let you know if something shows up.

Also Craig's List has them from time to time at decent prices but you might have to drive a little while to pick up.

I LOVE my mame machine... I play at least twice a day... Gun Smoke is mandatory... 1942 is another favorite :)

That would be one advantage...as far as I know there is no multi Jamma CAPCOM board.

Just a few of my favorites I would like to see on one.

1942/1943

Ghost's n Goblins & Ghouls n Ghosts

Trojan

Gunsmoke

There's more but it would turn in to a LARGE list.

CAPCOM always had the best Coin-op's :)

Yeah, Mame would at best be a semi-acceptable JAMMA or even a Neo-Geo substitute. i.e Most post-84 joystick & button games

But for most stuff prior to that, and for collectibility it's the real deal or nothing for so many reasons :) I mean come on, a mame cab isn't an arcade game.. it's a fancy pc case :P

By the way I'm in the same boat more or less.. just took the first steps to buying our first house today. I do hope to fill up the sq footage with a Taito Space Invaders or a Defender & DK relatively shortly after construction :D

I understand where you're coming though, because I wouldn't mind owning a real Mappy machine, but I do know even my favorite game I'll get bored of and it won't get much play.

A MAME system however would be played many times daily. Just last night I played about 10 different games, including about 4-5 games of NBA Jam TE. Man, once you win like 9 or 10 games it gets real hard. The computer makes some crazy shots, will try things on you he hasn't done before, etc.

Of course a MAME machine isn't the real thing, but the advantage is having access to a lot of games (thousands) in a limited amount of space (one cabinet). If I could only have one, I'd probably keep my MAME cab. I don't know how people could narrow their choices down to one cabinet. Hell, I've had a hard time narrowing it down to 20! :)

Mame is just out of the question for some games. Try playing Tempest on Mame, it sucks severely. It's quite good for other games though.

Yep.. as I said above I think it's just fine for your post 84/JAMMA games which were pretty much generic anyway and just needed a monitor, joystick and buttons.

However for custom hardware, and displays, and obviously for cabinets with in-game hardware props.. it's original or nothing :)

Mame is just out of the question for some games. Try playing Tempest on Mame, it sucks severely. It's quite good for other games though.

That's true, and that's the decision one has to make. Would you rather have 6,000 games available through emulation in a MAME cabinet, or Tempest.

That's true, and that's the decision one has to make. Would you rather have 6,000 games available through emulation in a MAME cabinet, or Tempest.

Well that's kind of like saying to a collector like CPUWiz or Marco would you rather have original 2600 games or Z26 emulation to replace them. :) Arcade games are as collectible as anything. And if you are a collector, you gotta go for the real deal :D The hardware, the artwork, the boards, the original parts.. it makes it.

I think the answer to your question would be. "I'd have 5-12 cabs including tempest, 1 mame 'cab' (aka the pc with a joystick), and one JAMMA" :cool:

Well that's kind of like saying to a collector like CPUWiz or Marco would you rather have original 2600 games or Z26 emulation to replace them. :) Arcade games are as collectible as anything. And if you are a collector, you gotta go for the real deal :D The hardware, the artwork, the boards, the original parts.. it makes it.

I think the answer to your question would be. "I'd have 5-12 cabs including tempest, 1 mame 'cab' (aka the pc with a joystick), and one JAMMA" :cool:

Not exactly. It would be like saying to a collector like CPUWiz or Marco, would you rather have ONE original 2600 game, or a Z26 that can play basically any game.

Then the decision would still be, would you rather have ONE dedicated machine, or a machine that runs thousands of games via emulation. I'm not saying one choice is right and one is wrong -- I'm sure you could easily find people in here who would argue either position. Fortunately, I've got enough space and cash that I don't have to choose. :)

Then the decision would still be, would you rather have ONE dedicated machine, or a machine that runs thousands of games via emulation. I'm not saying one choice is right and one is wrong -- I'm sure you could easily find people in here who would argue either position. Fortunately, I've got enough space and cash that I don't have to choose. :)

And again my answer would be: "I'd have 5-12 cabs including tempest, 1 mame 'cab' (aka the pc with a joystick), and one JAMMA" :D

Edited by NE146

Well I don't really play many "modern" games but I do like the Mortal Kombat series quite a bit. Is it easy to come by a MK (any of them) machine? I would prefer UMK3 or MK GOLD but MK1 or MK2 would be cool too. I can never get bored of those games.

They are easy to come by, but difficult to find in pretty mint condition. I would suggest making sure it's a dedicated cab if you are looking for any MK games. I really, really like the Midway cabs - nice and roomy with a very decent sized control panel so nobody crowds you while playing.

I have a dedicated MK2, and MK 4 cabs. The MK 4 I got for $600.00 and it was dead mint. I bought my MK2 cab for $400 and it was near mint but the bonus was it came with both Killer Instinct games in addition to MK2. Nice thing with a Jamma cab is so many games just interchange easily. The most I have had to do to get a board to work correctly was the kick harness for SF2 CE, and I think that took 5 minutes.