IGNORED

dont emulate

dbg2950

I haven't gotten that far yet.

I did have to go from the bundled RCA cables to using my AV Kit from downstairs. Colors were washing out really bad with the regular RCA cables... but the AV cables took care of that.

Now I've got to get another AV kit from eBay so I can hook my downstairs xBox back up to the 42" downstairs.

You know... having a 7800, a 5200, a Coleco, a NES, SNES, INTV and Genesis all sitting in my gameroom surrounding the XBox...

suddenly seems a little redundant. And, all those multicarts... *sigh*

For certain apps, like the Genesis, SNES or NES, the XBox controller is fine. For most of the other apps, it is at least decent.

Oh... you know... I was going to say that Montezuma's Revenge is proof positive that the 5200/Atari 8 Bit is in fact a superior hardware platform to the Colecovision... but then I played BC's Quest... and now I'm back to being undecided. :)

Is there a utility for resizing and adjusting the image on a hacked dashboard? I thought I saw one when I was trying to softmod the unit, but now I can't track it back down.

Oh... on the AtariMac emulator...

No dice with moving the stick in it's entire range after loading a cart.

Well, that isn't exactly true. It did work BETTER after doing this... but it still was having problems. Specifically, it wouldn't always STOP moving in a direction after I had stopped (and this is a true digital usb stick). and sometimes it would not START moving when I input a particular direction (until I pressed the JUMP button, oddly enough, then it would start moving in whatever direction, until the problem reoccured).

I am plugged in through a hub. But I've had the same kind of problem when I was pluged right in, before.

Ah. Let me try THAT out, and get back to you...

While we're handing out advice...

Anybody have any ideas why Snes9x would work fine with Rom images in .smc format on a PC but xSnes9x would be unable to find those same ROM images, despite having the correct ROM path in the config?

Tried Atari800MacX again. I was running Donkey Kong 5200 as the test game. I noticed something specific this time. When I climb a ladder, at the top, often it will not allow me any directional movement until I press the button.

But also, on the bottom platform, when I start running to the right... once I start moving, it won't stop going that direction until I give a reverse directional (left)... *generally*. This isn't consistent.

Response to button input is also a little laggy sometimes and irresponsive at others.

I opened Atari800MacX, moved the stick through its entire range several times, then loaded the 5200 cartridge.

Welcome to the wonderful world of goofy INI files. :lol: Most x-emulators (I'm looking at you SNES and N64) are a pain in the neck to get to find files. Anyways D: always defaults to the current directory. So if xsnes9x is in f:\emu\xsnes9x, the D: is actually pointing to that directory. So D:\roms\ would really be pointing to f:\emu\xsnes9x\roms\

I usually try not to fool around with the ini file if I don't have to. I just put the emu's that have bigger files (read ROMS) on the F: drive.

Interestingly enough, the two emulators that seem to have not configured correctly are SNES and N64.

But the more I play around with the thing, the more impressed I am. It really *does* make an ideal emulation platform, if simply because it is designed for gaming so you don't have Nero, and Office, and a ton of other apps on there crowding and cluttering the drive. Output is right to television... controller is especially well suited to almost everything POST NES (and does a pretty good job at PRE NES titles, too...)

I'm thinking about picking up a Gamester XBox joystick. They're made by RSI, which, to my mind, is a good indication that it'll be a decent stick. I'd pick up another X-Arcade... maybe a solo... but I actually want something a little LESS than arcade grade. I don't think I'd go with an X-Arcade unless I decided to mount my Xbox in an arcade cabinet...

And as far as that goes... I'm interested in this idea, because manipulation of menus and all of that is SO much easier. The Xbox really DOES make an ideal base for an emulation cab, because you can navigate ALL of the menus by mouse, including game selection... and you could use a regular TV instead of a monitor, saving you some money *and* giving a more realistic view. (Although I've also wanted to mount a nice LCD in my cab, it being lighter and easier to rig to orient in both horizontal and vertical).

But there are a few problems. Emulators that do not seem to exit back to the dash without a hard reboot is number 1. I don't want to be opening up my cabinet all the time to get inside.

I was reading over my reply and it made no sense. :lol: What I was trying to say were that SNES and N64 are the two oddballs that are a little bit tough to set up.

N64 emulation is mostly useless, but it does play some of the better known titles pretty well [Mario 64, Zelda (change the sound driver). Banjo Kazooie, etc].

Which emu's are having trouble going back to the dash with? Instead of exiting, try holding down (L,R, and start/back all at the same time).

As for resetting, you can rig up a controller with a button that will reboot the xbox. (requires opening of the xbox though). Starscream can help you with that. He did it for me. It's pretty simple from what I understand and oughta be a piece of cake for you. You could probably just rig one button up and plug it into controller four.

You're right though.... The xbox almost nearly makes a great all-in-one emu box. There is a great consistency across emu's since nearly all of them were done by the same person. Certainly beats configuring a bunch of different PC emu's. One nice thing is the PC based emu's allow you to seperately configure the controls for each game so you can assign buttons to whichever keys happen to be used. You can even hook up a keyboard/mouse to it if you have a USB to Xbox adapter.

I haven't been able to get surreal64-xxx to work or to see the roms... and I verified that the path SEEMS to be set correctly in the ini file...

D:/ROMS/ which if I understand it correctly, should be the same as the absolute path, in this case

f:/emulators/surreal64xxx/roms/

Right? Although, it is case sensitive I know. Or is that relative path D:/ROMS looking for a ROMS directory right off F:? For example...

f:/roms/

?

So, exiting, the whole left/right trigger and black or white, I believe, made it reload the dash. Maybe it was the Start or Back button, though. Anyhow... some weird key combo like that. Hitting the X key brings up a menu, but exiting isn't one of the options. It is possible I've got an older version of Surreal, though. I've just been going with the apps that I came on the AID 3.1 ISO installer, rather than downloading the latest and greatest, because the AID installer makes it all pretty bonehead simple, and I'm still not feeling COMPLETELY confident that I understand everything that is going on with this.

I haven't been able to get surreal64-xxx to work or to see the roms... and I verified that the path SEEMS to be set correctly in the ini file...

D:/ROMS/ which if I understand it correctly, should be the same as the absolute path, in this case

f:/emulators/surreal64xxx/roms/

Right? Although, it is case sensitive I know. Or is that relative path D:/ROMS looking for a ROMS directory right off F:? For example...

f:/roms/

?

So, exiting, the whole left/right trigger and black or white, I believe, made it reload the dash. Maybe it was the Start or Back button, though. Anyhow... some weird key combo like that. Hitting the X key brings up a menu, but exiting isn't one of the options. It is possible I've got an older version of Surreal, though. I've just been going with the apps that I came on the AID 3.1 ISO installer, rather than downloading the latest and greatest, because the AID installer makes it all pretty bonehead simple, and I'm still not feeling COMPLETELY confident that I understand everything that is going on with this.

It's possible that you could have a different version.

Do you see super mario holding his hand out while standing in front of the

3-d N logo at the rom screen?

This is my directory...

f:/emus/surreal64/Roms/

just make sure that your folder is spelled "Roms" (without quotes).

the one I downloaded didn't have a roms folder and it took

me a while to figure that out.

Edited by warmachine

Ahh... It *must* be a path issue.

It isn't that big of a deal, really. I might just remove it. Never really had it, don't have one now, so, it was something I just wanted to "trial/demo", anyhow. The emulators I am running, I've got the real hardware sitting right next to it, and the same titles too (I find that the games I am interested in are the games that I am interested in.. no use filling up space with ROMs I don't own and don't want to. Just means I have to scroll through more crap to get to the games I really want to play). It becomes more of an issue of convienience to me, just like the Multicarts. I'd rather have one machine that does it all, if it does it well, that I use most often.

I did just share my Beyond TV folder on my PVR box, and the xBox Windows Media Center is fantastic. Watching TV on my Xbox. This made me decide I'm going to have to do the downstairs XBox on the big TV, too. (the PVR unit is in the bedroom).

Yeah I use my xbox now to watch movies off of my PC. Seems the HDMI out on my PC is hard to get into the proper "resolution" so XBMC does the trick. I've been watching firefly. I'll probably start watching that other sci-fi show that was cancelled.

You oughta consider the no-intro sets. They for the most part remove most of the crap (dups) but they seem to mostly stick to consoles and did not clean up NES stuff as much as I would like.

For surreal.. I usually just stick it on the F drive with the roms in the roms directory. You can delete the junk I'm referring to by loading the xbox dash and using the game save manager.

Yeah, you lost me there. I'm really still figuring this out, and the whole architecture is a little overwhelming. It is like an even more confusing *nix. Actually, I guess that is exactly what it is... without a real administration manual or Howto docs or much of anything except some pretty sparse and crude documentation. Anyhow, I have no idea what a no-intro set is, and from that sentance on, I was pretty much clueless what you were saying. :)

But, I did just drop a 200gb drive into the unit downstairs and I've been streaming video from my Beyond TV PVR box upstairs and it works great. Even the remote works fine (although having the option to use the stick instead is brilliant, and really points to what greedy bastards M$ are for requiring the dongle and DVD remote, in which sense, this all serves them right...)

I did get confident enough that when I was making my HD for upgrade, the backup was way too big, so I just deleted the entire Apps folder, and a couple of other folders that had stuff that looked unnecessary to bring the drive back down to a reasonable size. (The "Backup" folder on E was huge, too). Once I finished the mod, I just reinstalled the apps, and copied the Backup folder back over via FTP from my PC).

Now the problem I'm having is that I'd like to copy my MP3 folder over from my PC. It is about 19gb... my My Music folder has an additional 10 or 15 gb of non DMR protected music (ripped from my own CDs), I'd also like to FTP over. But, and this happens with ROM images too, if the filename is too long, it gets rejected by the FTP server. It doesn't seem that it is intelligent enough to rename on the fly if the filenames are too long, and it looks like the filesystem is something called FatX, right? How do you deal with that? Do you need to simply rename files manually or in batch to shorter filenames? I imagine there might also be issues with nested directories in NTFS being too deep for a fat file system as well, right? That seems like a significant bummer.

I'm also wondering what the easiest way to dump say, the emulation directory on F upstairs to the F drive downstairs, would be. I've been raving about Demon Attack on my 17" widescreen LCD notebook, I'm thinking I'll REALLY like it on my 42" gas plasma wide screen in the TV room. :D

Nope. Still prefer it on the 17"... These Pavillions have a beautiful wide screen LCD...

Is there some reason I only have 120mb on the F drive? Is that the max addressable space per slice/partition?

Can I make another drive, a G or H or whatever is available above F, with the remaining 80 gb that this drive should have, if this is the case?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fatx. Guaranteed to drive any sane person insane. The one pimple on the face of xbox emulation. :lol:

There are two ways you can approach this. Xbox has a 42 character limitation (includes the extension). There is a PCwin program called BarenameX which is helpful in renaming files to xbox standards. (It can even FTP in a limited fashion). All x-port emu's allow you to access ROMS from across a network, so you could always leave them on a pc. The only risk you run is mixed up configs/saves.

Best way to transfer from pc -> xbox (believe it or not) is XBMC. It can connect to practically any network drive setup (as long as it is shared). That is how I watch my movies, etc on my hi-def plasma tv. Best way xbox -> xbox is either over network or with a cross-linked network cable. I forget what program I use. I know XBMC can do it.

120mb on F drive, yeah that is a limitation of the original xbox bios so most "modified" BIOS' keep that, and everything else you would allocate to G or split between G&H.

no-intro site

no-intro archive

a place where you can get no-intro screenshots renamed to work with xbox Fatx limitations. It includes .dat files for renaming ROMS to match.

Here I am :)

What partition app are you using?

The best way to do it, especially if you are going to do multiple Xbox's, is an autoinstaller. Burn it to a disc and then you can set up partitions easily and also do any locking/unlocking. What is also nice is as long as it boots up to the installer disc, you can FTP in and do any changes you need. I have unleashed x but recommend Slayers. PM me if you need some help. I can lead you to what you need.

For Xbox to Xbox transfer the best way to do it is through Avalaunch dash. It acts as an FTP but the connection does not close after every file. You can easily transfer 10 gigs in around 5 minutes or less. I have not read through all of this thread for a few days so I have no idea if you are using the "usual" places to get your files. If you are, download the avalaunch dash and install it.

Edited by Starscream