IGNORED

The Great Galaga Multi-Cade Project

Crazy Climber

Well after some convincing (Thanks everyone BTW) I decided to leave my original Pac-man machine alone and not convert it in to a JAMMA Multi-Cade (What was I thinking???) So the Ebay search began and I found a game in my area Called DEVASTATORS which is actually Contra 2. The game had the vertical mounted monitor I need and it was even a former Ms. Pac-Man cabinet that had been converted to JAMMA!! Cool huh? I even picked it up for only $155.00 which isn't bad. The cabinet was spray painted black so I got to thinking how cool it would be to restore it in to a Galaga machine with a Multi-JAMMA board in it. Why not right? The parts are availible all over on line and Galaga would look much cooler than Devastators. After asking around a bit it seems the Galaga parts should fit in a Ms. Pac cabinet. The former owner said the cabinet had some water damage to the bottom of it but he fixed it. When it showed up I found out how, it only stands at 65'' high. He just chopped it off and built a new bottom. Thats OK with me though if it's a little smaller, makes my gameroom look less cluttered then. Here's some Pic's..........

post-9102-1157068372_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1157068478_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1157068916.jpg

Edited by Crazy Climber

I also forgot to mention my first part showed up today. Its a reproduction Galaga control Panel with 2 fire buttons for multi arcades. I guess I could have tried to re use mine but since it was a 2 player game theres all kinds of holes drilled. Besides it was only 30 bucks and it's so nice and shiny looking.

post-9102-1157069404_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1157069477_thumb.jpg

So far that makes the total $185.00 but there's still a long way to go :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

PHASE 1

While I'm waiting for my control panel overlay to show up (along with the side art)I decided to cover up the sides with a black vinyl covering instead of re-painting. I figured it would help cover all the small holes, damage, etc..

Here's what the sides looked like before....

post-9102-1157382861_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1157382932_thumb.jpg

And here's a few after pic's....

post-9102-1157383029_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1157383143_thumb.jpg

Turned out OK. The damage in the top corner still shows but it's not as bad as it was. The cost for the vinyl covering was $87.00 so that put's my total cost so far at $272.00

Still a lot left to do.........

• 2 weeks later...

The side Art arrived along with the CPO. I might not use the new control panel now because it looks like the board I am debating using has a lot of 2 player simultanious games on it but here's some pics of what's happened so far.......

Two full Side Art pieces, one Control Panel Overlay and one kick panel decal for $120.00

post-9102-1158288415_thumb.jpg

The new control panel

post-9102-1158288560_thumb.jpg

With the sideart attached and a shot of the back half of the game room

post-9102-1158288660_thumb.jpg

Ah Contra well I have never played the 2nd arcade version of Contra but I did buy the first one for $100 off ebay and man I should have reconsidered but I wanted the game so bad. You want to see really bad water damage to a cabinet? This thing must have been out in the rain for a long time the worst thing was when I bought it in was in the persons liveing room!! I mean this thing looks like a turd I wouldn't want it im my house the way it was looking. I have almost finshed fixing the water damage I really what to kick the guys ass that thought it would ba a good idea to build a cabinet out of MDF instead of the reagular particle cabinet board. It all just split open and puffed up really weird if it were any game but Contra I would have never had fixed it take a look at this water damage.

post-8610-1158300141_thumb.jpg post-8610-1158300156_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheBman80

You must have more space in that room than it appears, or is it a gaming TARDIS?

I'm down to sneaking new systems/hardware etc through the side door to get it past She Who Must Be Obeyed and into my den, I just cannot see me being able to explain the appearance of a cabinet - woe is me!!

Yeah, I have another side of the room with a bar and two coin-op's (Rally-X and Golf) both of which I don't need anymore so I might even be able to squeeze one more in........always wanted a NEO GEO 4 slot :ponder: ......maybe a Street Fighter 2 :ponder:

I'll post some good pic's when everything is done.

You must have more space in that room than it appears, or is it a gaming TARDIS?

I'm down to sneaking new systems/hardware etc through the side door to get it past She Who Must Be Obeyed and into my den, I just cannot see me being able to explain the appearance of a cabinet - woe is me!!

BTW - What is a gaming TARDIS?

The TARDIS (stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) is Dr. Who's time travel machine (his Police Box) where the outside is small but the interior almost infinite in size.

Oh man, I forgot all about that. I haven't watched Dr. Who in 20 years man. That takes me back, I have to dig out my old VHS tapes now.

Here's a minor update. I decided to go with a Ms. Pac man Marquee to give it kind of a "Class of 81" look. (also I found it at a great price 18 bucks)

That puts my total at $410 and I still need a Bezel and the board.

post-9102-1159031752_thumb.jpg

While cleaning out the coin box area I found $4.50 in quarters, I guess that brings the total back down to $405.50, Score!!

The board showed up today, $495.00........OUCH!! That puts my total at $900.50, all I need is a Bezel.

Quite a bit for a PCB but it has every game on it that I want, 48 total. Here's a link..

http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/order_form.shtml

Couple weird ones I don't remember on it as well.

I seem to have run in to a small problem though. The guy who sold me the cabinet said the test switch worked on it. I should have tested it but Devastators is a dipswitch board so I just took his word. Well, of course it doesn't work so I am unable to access test mode on the board. It still plays but I am unable to turn down the sound. The only way to do it is in test mode, it would also be nice to set it to free play. Hopefully fixing a test switch isn't too hard, I'll have to do some reaserch. I could always splice in a volume pot? Besides that the games look/play great, I am going to invest in a new stick though mine feels pretty shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new stick and with the help of my girlfriends dad AKA "the wiring expert" it's all up and running. We also added a volume pot until I can figure out how to fix the test switch. All I need to do now is find that damn Ms. Pac bezel and wire up a credit button. I have been playing Frogger for hours man. With the stick added to the mix my total is $911.45, over half of that was the board cost. I'll post some better pics once I track down a Bezel.

Here's a minor update. I decided to go with a Ms. Pac man Marquee to give it kind of a "Class of 81" look. (also I found it at a great price 18 bucks)

I was going to ask about that in the other thread - I was thinking your Class of 81 had two joysticks (which obviously mine does not) and it caught my eye. :???: Then I saw this thread. :cool:

I was going to ask about that in the other thread - I was thinking your Class of 81 had two joysticks (which obviously mine does not) and it caught my eye. :???: Then I saw this thread. :cool:

That was the original plan but the only games on my multi board that supported 2 players were 1942 & 1943 so I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.