IGNORED

Nolan Bushnell Signature Series Atari 7800 Console on eBay!

Albert

I put in a bid of $560 just to say I did and I have been the high bidder for a day and a half. My wfe will kill me if I win!

(I know I wont win, this thing will sell for $1100)

Cousin Vinnie

Methinks you might be in a bit of trouble if something doesn't happen soon...

Hmm, there's still a day to go so I think Vinnie is safe. :twisted:

Mitch

See, that's what I'm talking about there. Make a Flashback that is one of those. I guarantee you there's a market, as big, ore even bigger than the Current PNP systems, especially if you toss in a cart with 4 or 6 games like most PNP systems have.

I'd be the first out to buy it if that ever happens. Unfortunately, there's not anybody competant enough in the businesss that make PNP to figure that out.

See, that's what I'm talking about there. Make a Flashback that is one of those. I guarantee you there's a market, as big, ore even bigger than the Current PNP systems, especially if you toss in a cart with 4 or 6 games like most PNP systems have.

I'd be the first out to buy it if that ever happens. Unfortunately, there's not anybody competant enough in the businesss that make PNP to figure that out.

Don't have to tell me. It makes me so sick that they went with the Flashback instead of releasing this. It could have been a fresh new life for the 7800.

-Ray

I actually bid just under that but it wasn't accepted because it had already been exceeeded by the time I hit Submit. I'm trying to think whom my British compatriot is here, maybe I need to do some research... cos I've seen him bid big on other stuff in the past.

Is the buyer a member here? Would be nice to hear from him or her.

So, are they gonna use this to play 7800 classics like Donkey Kong, or lock it away in a display case?

... or maybe just put it in a cardboard box, in a closet, along with a fried 2600 and bunch of non-working 5200 controllers... ;)

So, are they gonna use this to play 7800 classics like Donkey Kong, or lock it away in a display case?

Considering that Britain is PAL and this unit is NTSC, I'm thinking the display case is more likely. :(

Honestly, if I won the thing, I'd have a hard time deciding what to do with it. On one hand it's a valuable, expensive, one-of-a-kind work of art that would look great as a decoration. A glass case would protect the investment nicely, and the black Atari carts would look bad anyway. On the other hand, it's a fully-functional 7800 designed to be used. Who wouldn't want to take this puppy for a test play?

Decisions, decisions. :?

Did Nolan Bushnell have anything to do with the 7800?
Bushnell had a lot to do with the 2600 (Atari was still his company when it was developed), and the 7800 is essentially an upgrade of the 2600 that retains backward-compatibility. Plus, he was involved in creating new 2600 games for Atari at Axlon that were marketed to 7800 owners.

It's a somewhat tenuous link, to be sure, but I can see the argument for putting his name on the case.

I vote for the display area near the bottom of the entertainment center. It would be easily viewable there, easy to grab when guest Atari fans are over, and it would still leave enough room for a nice looking standard 7800 to sit nearby where it could be used for normal gaming sessions.

The white 7800 could be used kinda like fine china, 'cept it wouldn't break when you drop it in the sink.

and the 7800 is essentially an upgrade of the 2600 that retains backward-compatibility.

Nope. The 7800 is not an upgraded 2600. The 5200 is closer from an architecture perspective: it retains the playfield + player + missile sprite concept. Similar to the PS2, the 7800 is compatible with the 2600 because it included the 2600 chipset (then leveraged it for sound & controllers).

And if I recall correctly, they dragged Nolan out and put him in some of the commercials for the 7800.

Nolan's company Axlon also did some 2600 development (Secret Quest among others) for Atari during the 7800 era. I don't think Axlon did any actual 7800 games, though.

Edited to fix the company name.

Edited by skunkworx

And if I recall correctly, they dragged Nolan out and put him in some of the commercials for the 7800.

Nolan's company Axion also did some 2600 development (Secret Quest among others) for Atari during the 7800 era. I don't think Axion did any actual 7800 games, though.

No, they didn't. Which makes the Nolan Bushnell / 7800 connection a little spotty in my opinion. I would have loved to see some Axlon games for the 7800.

So because this case is only 3 years old vs 20 years old, it is not a "REAL" prototype?

My firm only made 3 of these special edition units for the 7800 reproduction team, it was done as part of a collaborated effort between Atari and a 3rd party licensor, I have been a paid Atari consultant for almost 4 years now, my firm has been producing Atari's hardware designs for the last 3 years, so why does this prototype not receive the honor of being "REAL" ?

Curt

Actually thats pretty cheap. I just had a plastic prototype made and it cost me $2000. If you consider this a prototype plastic case, then its a steal.

2000 for a case is high. Most "real" prototype cases in the past sold in the 500 range.

So because this case is only 3 years old vs 20 years old, it is not a "REAL" prototype?

My firm only made 3 of these special edition units for the 7800 reproduction team, it was done as part of a collaborated effort between Atari and a 3rd party licensor, I have been a paid Atari consultant for almost 4 years now, my firm has been producing Atari's hardware designs for the last 3 years, so why does this prototype not receive the honor of being "REAL" ?

Curt

In particular, I wasn't talking about the 7800 signature edition. That one didn't sell for 2000.

I don't think I would go so far as to say the 7800 signature edition wasn't a "real" prototype but I would say its an aftermarket product. Just as the homebrew carts, no matter how cool or how official they become, will always be aftermarket carts. Even if Activision produced a new cartridge it wouldn't be in the same category as the ones released while the system was still in original production. There are several companies right now producing NES systems some more legit than others but they are all after market units.

Don't get me wrong. The prototype 7800 signature edition looks sweet as hell. I would have loved to have bought it. You must admit though that it did get a high price. Higher than the gold plated 2600 prototype shells Dan Kramer sold and higher than the 5100 or system X shell (can't remember which) or any of the 8bit prototype shells that sold a few years back. For coolness factor it has them all beat but from a collecting standpoint I don't think they are in the same category. And the 2000 dollar price someone paid to make a case for home use has no bearing at all on any of them.

Adam

Edited by Buyatari

Nope. The 7800 is not an upgraded 2600. The 5200 is closer from an architecture perspective: it retains the playfield + player + missile sprite concept. Similar to the PS2, the 7800 is compatible with the 2600 because it included the 2600 chipset (then leveraged it for sound & controllers).
I almost called the 7800 a "superset" of the 2600 instead of an "upgrade," and it probably would have been a better choice of words. The 7800 had everything the 2600 architecture had and added a graphics coprocessor and extra RAM on top of it, and I was thinking of that as an "upgrade" of the 2600 architecture in much the same way that the 32X was an "upgrade" of the Genesis. But the 7800 was a single unit where the 32X was an add-on module, so I can see why the word "upgrade" isn't applicable. Edited by jaybird3rd

No, they didn't. Which makes the Nolan Bushnell / 7800 connection a little spotty in my opinion. I would have loved to see some Axlon games for the 7800.

I remember reading an interview in ATARIAN (remember that?) where it was hinted that they would make 7800 titles, but it never happened.

I remember reading that too. *sigh* another possible holy grail out there which we'll never see...