IGNORED

Decent Wii footage from Leipzig

CPUWIZ

Speaking of builds of games coming soon for the Wii, has Rayman been available for play yet at any show? IGN keeps on raving about how its going to be one of the must have games of the holiday for the system, but from what I have heard the game just doesnt really seem to appeal to me. I dont know, as soon as they took away the Rayman platform idea and made it into what sounds like a Warioware game it just didnt sound as good anymore...like they gave up on making a full sized game because of time constraints or something. If there are any gameplay vids out there if it has been shown yet can someone post a link so i can see what all the hoopla is about?

If there are any gameplay vids out there if it has been shown yet can someone post a link so i can see what all the hoopla is about?

Images, Commercials, Trailer, and E3 Gameplay Presentation

The Gameplay vid is part of the E3 Presentation on page 4. It's pretty short, so it's kind of hard to see any actual gameplay. The graphics, however, look amazing. Which raises the question: Is Ubisoft pulling a Sony by showing pre-rendered graphics, or is all that bunny fuzz really being generated by the Wii?

The screenshots seem to support both ideas. Some of the shots show bunnies with no hair, while others show fuzzy and feathery animals. It seems to me that the Rayman builds with the updated Wii pixel shader support are just starting to show up. :ponder:

If there are any gameplay vids out there if it has been shown yet can someone post a link so i can see what all the hoopla is about?

Images, Commercials, Trailer, and E3 Gameplay Presentation

The Gameplay vid is part of the E3 Presentation on page 4. It's pretty short, so it's kind of hard to see any actual gameplay. The graphics, however, look amazing. Which raises the question: Is Ubisoft pulling a Sony by showing pre-rendered graphics, or is all that bunny fuzz really being generated by the Wii?

The screenshots seem to support both ideas. Some of the shots show bunnies with no hair, while others show fuzzy and feathery animals. It seems to me that the Rayman builds with the updated Wii pixel shader support are just starting to show up. :ponder:

I figured the graphics were the real graphics as IGN has already commented on how good it looks... and ive seen those pictures, but i was curious if they showed the mini games and such but i guess not.

:? :arrow: :ponder:

Should I even bother asking what that's supposed to mean? :ponder:

Now I know for a fact that the GameCube had pixel and vertex shaders, however primitive they may be. So I have a hard time believing that they haven't been updated with recent ATI technology. ;)

BTW, this page this page might be of interest to "the Wii is just a GameCube reskinned" crowd. :D

No, it does not have either one of those. You can't even write a simple vertex shader.

If that's the case, then there's quite a bit of BS surrounding the Gamecube hardware, then. (Wouldn't surprise me. :|)

So then, you were about to tell me how the Wii now has a highly advanced pixel shader added in, right? Right? :D

I liked what I saw overall. Yes, graphically there are things that left me wanting here and there.

Battallion Wars looked mondo busy to the point that I was just getting confused trying to figure out what he was doing other than getting blown away while he tried to circle-strafe.

Red Steel looks competent overall. The constructive thought of some kind of calibration sequence would make sense. This may be a FPS that I can actually play on a console. (A great pet peeve of mine is the noteable lack of KB/mouse support for those of us who want to play FPSes on consoles and came from PC-land -- except for the mighty Dreamcast)

Wii-Sports is probably the most dissapointing graphically, but is also what I view as a technical demo to showcase the controller. Kinda like WarioWare: Touched could be classified as a tech demo for the DS.

There's the Hi-def argument that we've covered repeatedly. Honestly it remains a don't care in my book -- the horse is still dead on that one.

What I really want (as I'm sure some of you do too...)

- The suggested retail price(s).

- Launch titles that will actually be here.

- Pack in game (if any)

- To play this thing first hand

I suspect that they are using a device like this to do the sensing on the Wii-motes It makes sense really for a couple of reasons. The first being that an older similar part is used in Kirby's Tilt-N-Tumble. (ADXL202) NThat part has been obsoleted and replaced with a part that has better performance, this little monster is pretty slick and they make better ones too. like this 3d unit...

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,764%2...ADXL330,00.html

This is good in that it's going to be a fairly rugged unit in that the sensors won't get dirty. I'm sure they take precautions to deal with things like high-G shock and the like too. I wonder if they are going with an X/Y pot for the controller nub or back to the optical system they used on the N64. Only time and a screwdriver will tell. :)

Hex.

[ "I'm leavin' Las Vegas.... " --Cheryl Crow ]

I liked what I saw overall. Yes, graphically there are things that left me wanting here and there.

Battallion Wars looked mondo busy to the point that I was just getting confused trying to figure out what he was doing other than getting blown away while he tried to circle-strafe.

Red Steel looks competent overall. The constructive thought of some kind of calibration sequence would make sense. This may be a FPS that I can actually play on a console. (A great pet peeve of mine is the noteable lack of KB/mouse support for those of us who want to play FPSes on consoles and came from PC-land -- except for the mighty Dreamcast)

Wii-Sports is probably the most dissapointing graphically, but is also what I view as a technical demo to showcase the controller. Kinda like WarioWare: Touched could be classified as a tech demo for the DS.

There's the Hi-def argument that we've covered repeatedly. Honestly it remains a don't care in my book -- the horse is still dead on that one.

What I really want (as I'm sure some of you do too...)

- The suggested retail price(s).

- Launch titles that will actually be here.

- Pack in game (if any)

- To play this thing first hand

I suspect that they are using a device like this to do the sensing on the Wii-motes It makes sense really for a couple of reasons. The first being that an older similar part is used in Kirby's Tilt-N-Tumble. (ADXL202) NThat part has been obsoleted and replaced with a part that has better performance, this little monster is pretty slick and they make better ones too. like this 3d unit...

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,764%2...ADXL330,00.html

This is good in that it's going to be a fairly rugged unit in that the sensors won't get dirty. I'm sure they take precautions to deal with things like high-G shock and the like too. I wonder if they are going with an X/Y pot for the controller nub or back to the optical system they used on the N64. Only time and a screwdriver will tell. :)

Hex.

[ "I'm leavin' Las Vegas.... " --Cheryl Crow ]

Rumor has it that the Kiosk (sp?) will be in stores in October. So playing it may not be out of the question.

I really had little interest in the Wii until I saw this footage. It does look like a lot of fun. I am impressed with the look of Red Steel. The swordplay seems to be very responsive and natural. It looks real cool.

I think the screenshot posted of Red Steel some posts back is pretty impressive as well. I have a 360 and it is great for impressive graphics but that dosn't make a console for me. As far as the performance of the system goes there is a lot of misinformation and speculation in this thread.

Honestly, I can care less about graphics. I want a new Super Smash Brothers.

I'll get a system for one game if needed, I know I'd get more for the Wii, but the main selling point for me is a new SSB. I gotta be honest, I WILL get the next console that Guitar Hero is on. I'm completely hooked on that game. Even if it means choking down money for a ps3 if need be. However, with Activision getting ahold of Red Octane, I can see GH going to the 360. If so, then I finally have an excuse to get one, besides modding the hell out of it =)

I'll get a system for one game if needed, I know I'd get more for the Wii, but the main selling point for me is a new SSB. I gotta be honest, I WILL get the next console that Guitar Hero is on. I'm completely hooked on that game. Even if it means choking down money for a ps3 if need be. However, with Activision getting ahold of Red Octane, I can see GH going to the 360. If so, then I finally have an excuse to get one, besides modding the hell out of it =)

my roomate is the same way with sonic the hedgehog. While he obviously has his favorite hardware manufacturer, he will literally get a system for any sonic and for that matter final fantasy game. So Wii and a 360 or ps3 are in his near future.. probably 360 since its cheaper for him. I would have normally said ps3 since he really doenst like microsoft at all (we are both apple users) but he just recently got an xbox just for Fable. Speaking of which, is it true that final fantasy (the numbered series, not chrystal chronicles) will be on the 360? Is it for both systems, just 360, or just ps3?

Thanks

Edited by AtariJr

my roomate is the same way with sonic the hedgehog. While he obviously has his favorite hardware manufacturer, he will literally get a system for any sonic and for that matter final fantasy game. So Wii and a 360 or ps3 are in his near future.. probably 360 since its cheaper for him. I would have normally said ps3 since he really doenst like microsoft at all (we are both apple users) but he just recently got an xbox just for Fable. Speaking of which, is it true that final fantasy (the numbered series, not chrystal chronicles) will be on the 360? Is it for both systems, just 360, or just ps3?

Thanks

I run Linux on my main box (and have been for years) and the machine I am currently typing on is a ppc Mac Mini running Tiger. I don't care for Windows and never have. But, I own both XBox and 360 and I love them. They are fantastic products. I don't care one way or the other about MS (anymore then I do for Sony.) If they make a good product that I want then I will buy it (as is the case with the XBox and 360) and I wont buy one I don't want (as is the case with Windows.)