IGNORED

Retro Gamer is just too expensive

My subscription lapsed, and I don't have issue 28 either. It's 80 pounds to renew for 13 issues ... that's $150. I don't think I can keep this up ... :(

It's cheaper on the USA newsstand (but still expensive @ $8 per issue) but always a month late. :( :(

I'm surprised they've kept it as 'low' as they have. All computer mags seem to be £5 or more per issue these days - which is why I don't buy them anymore and haven't for some time.

RG is the only magazine I buy right now, so the fact that it's outrageously expensive (especially in Canada) isn't too much of problem for me, as long as they keep up the overall quality in each issue, and they've been doing just that.

I learned with EGM that getting a subscription is a bad idea because the postal service seems to enjoy wrecking whatever paper-based material is entrusted to them. So if the book stores in my area stop selling Retro Gamer, well, that'll be too bad.

It's cheaper on the USA newsstand (but still expensive @ $8 per issue) but always a month late. :( :(

A month late for information about games that are at least fifteen years old? What's the rush?

Try 3 months to get to Oz :x But as rolenta says - what is the rush? I'm happy to pay for a premium magazine that is full of great content, rather than a cheaper magazine full of ads that are required to keep the newsstand price down.

Edited by AussieAtari

My subscription lapsed, and I don't have issue 28 either. It's 80 pounds to renew for 13 issues ... that's $150. I don't think I can keep this up ... :(

Really???? Anytime I see them... it is around $12. I really enjoy that magazine. For the most part though... unless it has Lynx or Turbo Grafx stuff featured... I'll usually just buy a latte and read it right there in the store.

• 4 weeks later...

RG is the only magazine I buy right now, so the fact that it's outrageously expensive (especially in Canada) isn't too much of problem for me, as long as they keep up the overall quality in each issue, and they've been doing just that.

I learned with EGM that getting a subscription is a bad idea because the postal service seems to enjoy wrecking whatever paper-based material is entrusted to them. So if the book stores in my area stop selling Retro Gamer, well, that'll be too bad.

Retro Gamer USED to be carried by Chapters (Toronto area). They no longer carry it and they confirmed this when an employee searched the database

Does anyone else know of any book stores in Canada that currently carry this?

BTW, I have the special "Retro Gamer Anthology" issue.....big thick issue chock full of info and pictures. Highly recommended if you can find one.

Thanks.

I've seen RG in USA Barnes and Noble stores in the USA. I suppose I could grab one for you and ship it your way, but that will get expensive quickly.

There's a new Retro Anthology by the publishers of the UK magazine GAMES TM. It too is pricey (US$30) but it collects about 2 years of the Games magazine's excellent Retro section all in one fat volume.

There's a new Retro Anthology by the publishers of the UK magazine GAMES TM. It too is pricey (US$30) but it collects about 2 years of the Games magazine's excellent Retro section all in one fat volume.

Now that's something I'd like to pick up. I don't get Games TM on any regular basis, so that would be worth it. Didn't see it in the local B&N though, I wonder when/if it will show?

Just renewed my RG subscription too. Ouch! :ponder: :D

• 3 weeks later...
There were only 2 copies at by B&N, and I picked the one less bashed up. At the asking price, it might not be everywhere, so you may want to drive/call around. It looks like this:

I did find it after trying a few B&Ns. It is a great compilation for those who don't have the original issues.

Thanks for the pic, it helped me pick it out among the tons of other mags :)

B&N at the Mall of America (MN) carries it. With tax it's about $13 which is a lot for a mag. I usually give it a quick spot read to see if it's worth picking up first, seems like I buy one about every three months or so. The Anthology is pretty awesome, has lots of obscure Computer info in it which is cool. I saw the GAMES mag for $30 bucks but I didn't know it was an anthology release, once I saw 30 bucks I put it down but I might reconsider that now.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to variations in the exchange rate, I just paid less for the latest issue available here (Ghouls & Ghosts cover), very nice.

It does not look like Retro Vol. 2 is available here in Oz, I picked up issue 1 but have not seen the next issue anywhere. If anyone has seen it for sale here can they let me know where.

Edited by AussieAtari

I used to buy gaming magazines all the time but now they are just too damn expensive and are half the size they used to be. It is a real shame for I used to enjoy a Saturday morning reading about the latest Sega and Nintendo releases but not now I just read online for its a lot cheaper ;)