IGNORED

Should I get a GameCube???

quote:

Originally posted by Hubie The Cube Master:

At first, I thought this machine was terrible, but then I was very impressed by 2 games of its games: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Smash Bros Meelee. Pikmin was ok. Whould I get a GameCube?!?!?!

Yes

quote:

Originally posted by Hubie The Cube Master:

Everyone besides Adrain, thank you for your
OPINION
. Adrian needs to learn what those are.

Oh, almost forgot to mention -- I still have a heck of a lot of fun with my Dreamcast. Lots of great software for cheap, and that's fine with me.

Dreamcast is a weak system (and the CD motor is too noisy). Need proof? Check out the NFL 2K series...the players are blocky as hell, but the atrocity REALLY begins whenever you kick a field goal or attempt an extra point....can you say MAJOR DROP in the frame rate department? It's actually pretty hilarious! You can literally count the individual frames on your fingers!

And that's just FOOTBALL...wait until you play something a little more intense like Sonic or Starlancer. Not only is HEAVY POP-UP evident, most DC games can't seem to stay at a consistent frame rate regardless. Are the games still fun even with these glaring defects? The answer is NO. You begin to focus less on the game and more on the polygons that are seemingly disappearing in and out of view.

While first generation games I tend to be a little more lenient of (even some early poorly programmed XBOX games like Azurik exhibit some framiness, but it's an early game so it's forgiven) the earlier titles since they are generally programmed as the hardware is still being developed, but the DC continued to exhibit its weaknesses throughout its thankfully short life span. You know you have a weak console on your hands when every racing game drops its frame rate or when you see heavy polygon pop-up in the simplest 3D games.

Gamecube falls into this category. Check out Rogue Squadron. Watch carefully as you fly your X-wing...notice how the frame rate noticeably stutters, even when the number of on-screen ships is at its most minimal? Yes, it's a first generation game, but to not be able to maintain a silky smooth frame rate with nothing on the screen is BAD NEWS indeed. The major slowdown in Pikmin, aliasing problems in Luigi's Mansion and very low polygon counts in Super Smash Bros do not bode well for this weak console's future. GC is destined to die a quick death...it will be the next DC. Mark my words!!

Dreamcast. It's drinking I just picked up Bomberman for it, and man, is it SWEET.

I really like the gamecube. Melee, Luigi, Pikmin, Monkey Ball, and Star Wars are all worthy titles, as is Sonic Adventure 2, if you don't already have the DC version (which you probably do). I think the titles coming up look sweet too, specially the Hobbit, and even a port of Capcom vs Snk 2 (if I heard correctly, it's getting packaged with a controller specifically for fighting games, sweet..though not as sweet as the arcade stick the system will now feature). Out of all the consoles, it's lineup appeals the most to me, so I like it.

And its small. Small=easier to move around.

Oh, Adrian, Adrian, Adrian. You could save yourself a lot of time and trouble simply by writing, "If it ain't Xbox, it sucks!"

If you think anyone on here can't see that's the only thing you're about, you've lost touch with reality. You're a fanboy of the worst kind, and thus have little credibility on a board full of folks wanting to discuss the merits of various machines.

Why don't you head over to an Xbox forum where you'll find an appreciative audience?

Lol!!!This is too damn funny.I can see Adrain in sears putting his face up against the GC screen to see any little error or flaw.Lol!!!!!!!!

Hubi, Adrians just a fanboy, dont mind him, he just knoews his XBox has barley any time left to live.

Get the Nintendo Gamecube for the most entertainment you'll ever have.

ANd if you like complaining about GC game Adrain, take a look a Shrek.

I don't own a GameCube myself (I opted for PlayStation 2 instead), but its game library has been developing quite nicely. I was at a friend's house last week, and I sat down and tried a few of the games. Here's what I thought:

Home Run King: I didn't try this game, I watched my friend play a couple of innings. It's been described as a solid baseball game with somewhat of an arcade-like feel. The sound effects are very well done, and the game manages to capture the scale of the baseball field nicely. All-Star Baseball 2003 (which is available for GC, as well as other systems) has a more realistic TV-style presentation than this game.

Sega Soccer Slam: This is an over-the-top arcade-style soccer. It has small teams and bends the rules quite a bit, much like the NBA Jam or NFL Blitz games. The characters are outrageous and very humorous! A great pick-up-and-play game for kids and adults alike! I've heard rumors that this game might be headed to PlayStation 2; I am crossing my fingers for that now.

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury: Enjoyable 3D fighting game where your fighter can morph into an animal form (previous games in the series were on PlayStation and PlayStation 2). Not the deepest fighting game in the world, but it offers a good time.

NBA Courtside 2002: A very good pro basketball game from Nintendo. I was able to manipulate the game's controls even without looking at the manual (though I'm sure that would've helped). Not as visually attractive as Sega Sports NBA 2K2, though it's certainly no slouch.

Extreme G 3: Wow, this game is fast!It sports some impressive visuals, too. I think this one's even dropped in price. It's worth getting if you like futuristic racing games along the lines of Wipeout.

Some other promising GameCube games were released recently. Pac-Man World 2 and Spy Hunter are two that should appeal to the classic gamers here. I've played both of these on PlayStation 2, and I can assure you that they're excellent!

If you like professional wrestling (and who doesn't?), the upcoming game WWF WrestleMania X8 looks sweet. That might be the game that pushes me over the edge to get this system!

The ability to link up to Game Boy Advance has a lot of potential. Right now, only one pair of GC/GBA games has inter-system connectivity (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for GC and Sonic Advance for GBA). Hopefully, we'll see this function utilized more in the near future.

I feel this is a good machine that is definitely on the right track. As always, try some games on the system, and see if it's right for you!

Agent X,

I'm just curious. I played Bloody Roar: Primal Fury for a long time th other day at one of the area Funcola... *ahem* GameStop. Were you using a different controller for the game, as I found the game to be nearly unplayable with the original GameCube controller.

How do you feel that the one-button control scheme works out? I've clocked about eight hours on various GameCubes so far, and I have only felt "at home" with Waverace Bluestorm.

quote:

Originally posted by GOAT Dan:

I'm just curious. I played Bloody Roar: Primal Fury for a long time th other day at one of the area Funcola... *ahem* GameStop. Were you using a different controller for the game, as I found the game to be nearly unplayable with the original GameCube controller.

How do you feel that the one-button control scheme works out?

I think the control scheme is great. The central button appeals to the classic "one button" mindset.

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury is a perfect example to illustrate why I like the GCN controller. I generally use the analog stick, but when I want to switch to the digital pad for precise "double-tapping", it's smooth and effortless. I hate to use the cliched "forget your holding it" description, but the GCN controller is the best I've used for any post-SNES system. From Rogue Leader to Luigi's Mansion to Super Money Ball, the simplicity of the controller has enhanced the gaming experience.

At least for me...

That's using your head, Randy.

I have a GameCube and think it's a great system. I don't have very many games for it yet as I have a rather large backlog of games I need to get through first (on the PS2, GameCube, DC, PC, etc.) I recently saw the new James Bond game on the GameCube, and it looked pretty nice. Supposedly it's a bit better than the PS2 version.

..Al

GameCube costs $199.99 (MSRP) and is a bargain at any price. It's a good time to hop on board, with Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters, Star Fox Adventures and many other GCN exclusives coming out this year. (Not to mention the Mario and Zelda games.)

BTW, why exactly did you think the machine was terrible?

Don't try it, Daddy-O.  Not as long as I got this shiv.

Don't bother getting a GC. Why? It's a weak system! About the equivalent of the PS2 which in itself is a pretty bad system.

Spend your money on something that is advanced and here to stay. Specifically, a MICROSOFT XBOX. Microsoft has the resources and funding to see that it succeeds. The games are great and definitely a quantum leap forward over what's out for other systems.

Don't settle for an inferior alternative just because it's $100 less...you get what you pay for.

Don´t see why you shouldn´t. The GameCube is a great system, and although a lot of people on the board seem to think it´s a battle of fill rates, sound channels etc. Yes, it matters to a point. But in the end it all comes down to the games.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Don't bother getting a GC. Why? It's a weak system! About the equivalent of the PS2 which in itself is a pretty bad system.

Spend your money on something that is advanced and here to stay. Specifically, a MICROSOFT XBOX. Microsoft has the resources and funding to see that it succeeds. The games are great and definitely a quantum leap forward over what's out for other systems.

Don't settle for an inferior alternative just because it's $100 less...you get what you pay for.

Or, you could check out all the machines and buy what you like. Geez, there's a thought.

Actually, I'm not sure why Miscrosoft fans pick on the GameCube constantly. They never seem to consider that someone might (gasp!) actually

prefer another machine!

I'd be suspicious of anyone who claims that it's an absolute fact one modern system is clearly better than anything else. Some folks seem to have difficulty telling the difference between subjective opinion and objective fact.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Adrian... a few words of my wisdom:

SHUT THE DAMN HELL UP ABOUT MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!