IGNORED

Should I get a GameCube???

I still play my N64 Rogue Squadron, and from what I've played, Leader is even better. And that's sweet. That's right about the consoles though. I mean, almost no one will argue the CD-i sucked, because it had no games really worth playing, save for like, Zelda.

Halo can't be the best game of all time. Chrono Trigger already has that title, and I'll probably be deep in the cold cold grave before I see another game take that. Of course, if you want to go by non-RPGs, then you got some choices. Super Mario Bros. 3, or mayhaps THE bestselling game of all time, Sonic the Hedgehog 2! I mean, when you sold 100s of thousands within your first few days on the shelf, that shows a good game.

quote:

Originally posted by Clint Thompson:

Gamecube....

btw, is the PS3? supposed to be ps1/ps2 backward compatible as well? (haha, that would be a first!) (I haven't read too much into the PS3)

Clint

That would be a hell of a good idea, and why not? Worked very well for Nintendo with the Game Boy, after all, and what better way to convince the millions of PS1 and PS2 owners to trade up to a new system?

No see there can only be one and there is only one, and that is the atari 2600. says so right on the message board. If there was more then one king, there would be a Saturn, or a Dreamcast, or an NES, or something. As much as I like the gamecube, it has yet to attain such a lofty title. The atari is named such because its still quite popular, even today. I mean, of all consoles, its the only one that has a large number of homebrew efforts being done on it. Newer consoles can't be named such because quite frankly, they are new, and as of yet have not withstood the sands of time.

I'd say the NES is the Prince of Consoles though ;p

No, atari would still be the king. I mean, look at Nintendo. They lost in the early 90s, barely, to the Genesis. They majorly lost in the late 90s by Sony. Though I like all their consoles, they ain't no atari, which is synonymous with video games, along with that famous joystick.

Well, first off, Sega is still here. As a 3rd party...for now. Regardless, sales mean nothing as to whats good. I mean, Harvest Moon isn't exactly a fast selling game, but it's awesome. I grew up on Nintendo, but even I know that it's not on top, and hasn't been for years. As for Atari, mismanagement killed that beast, as well as the refusal to make new games for their consoles instead of another version of Ms. Pac-man.

I know Nintendo dosent rule the industry.But, if I remember correctly NES sold 62.000.000 consoules and 50.000.000 games.I don't know about Atari.But as for the consoules that are still here today Nintendo rules.And Sony can kiss my ass.They havent made mutch of a name for themselfs unless you count FF witch was originally from Nintendo.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have found so far about the GameCube I liked. It's a very stable console, the controllers felt very natural to me (I have small hands, so that's a big factor). Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is really fun. Of course, if you have it for Dreamcast, never mind, as Sonic only expanded on the 2-player mode (ie. "battle"). But it's still a great game.

I really did like XG-3 Racing. Very fast and furious, and the motorbikes remind me of the Tron light cycles.

There are many games that were ported to all three consoles, so to say that one console kicks ass over the other two is ridiculous, since some of these multi-platform titles are among the best ones out there. In terms of exclusives, the Gamecube hasn't proven itself yet, as its big names aren't out yet. But the fact that Miyamoto is closely working on Metroid Prime, on Mario Sunshine and on Zelda means that all three titles will probably be very good, if you consider that he didn't make many missteps in his career.

Yet, all this is so hard to judge, as Nintendo keeps quiet about its projects.

All in all, I think that the 3 consoles can be broken down thus: Nintendo is the veteran that has made enough consoles to know what kind of mistakes to avoid, gimmick-wise (R.O.B. anyone?). Its consoles are very stable too.

Sony is more popular and has a better market penetration. But most of its big-name games can be found on the other consoles too.

Microsoft is the newcomer, which makes it harder for them to get into the market. However, their marketing strategies make it so that they are difficult to overlook. However, people who want to use it as a DVD player absolutely need the remote to make it work. The size of the console and of the controller is also a turn-off for many people (I think that's part of their problem in Japan).

In terms of games, all three consoles have good titles that are worth a look. So it's a question of choice, of budget, of comfort with the controllers, of whether there are young children that will use the console, etc. If you are a Final Fantasy maniac, by all means, go for a PS2. If you can't live without Miyamoto's games and Sonic, then opt for the GameCube.