Wii or 360?

sega saturn x

Well what should I get?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Wii or 360?

• Wii
    • splurge buy both!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Originally I wanted to buy a wii at launch and just wait until a price drop fo mass effect for the 360. But with nintendo 250$ price tag and 60$ games 55$ controllers things have changed. And me being constantly unimpressed with what I'm being shown graphically and game play wise I'm not so sure. And please no one say "the graphics are fine they aren't aiming at that market" because I really couldn't care less, I'm still paying 250$ for cube looking games. Plus even games I was really excited for like Rayman a lot fo the extra wii content seems to be silly mini games. I still really want to play the main game with the wiimote and all but it gives me a sinking feeling that mini games will be the order of the day with a lot of thrid party companies. Similar to how the DS was and is with many lazy developers. Rayman and trauma center look to be the cream of the launch crop anything else looks to be next year.

The 360 now has some very attractive games coming out chief among them gears of war, lost planet, assaisins creed and best fo all mass effect. Couple that with the ever expanding x-box live and you have a mighty tempting offer. But 3 of the 4 games mentioned are coming out early next year too. Now keep in mind I want both system and will end up with them both eventually this is just asking what should I buy first. Thoughts?

For many cash-strapped gamers, there is no longer a "Wii60." One would be tempted to think that Nintendo intentionally went with the $250 price point to dissuade consumers from buying the Wii and the Xbox 360 together as a set. If the core 360 drops to that price, gamers will head straight for it and leave the Wii behind.

JR

60$ games 55$ controllers

$50 games and $60 controllers.

CPUWiz did point out the Japanese price for Zelda as being ~= $58 US, but that doesn't guarantee what the price point will be here. Hopefully, Nintendo will keep their promise of $50 games.

Also, to be fair, the controller is $40 and the Nunchuck is $20. So far it doesn't seem like most multiplayer games make much use of the Nunchuck. So you may not need the complete set to play games with your friends.

Now with that out of the way, WHAT IS NINTENDO THINKING?!? :mad:

Honestly, short of Nintendo selling controllers for $5, someone was going to complain about the price. This is a speciality controller folks. One with pretty cutting edge technology in it. That tech doesn't come cheap.

The $250 system price is more baffling to me. Had they priced it at $199, Sony wouldn't have a chance. But to pay $250 for the last gen's graphics will dissuade a lot of people.

This is a speciality controller folks. One with pretty cutting edge technology in it. That tech doesn't come cheap.

Yes it does. Come cheap, that is. Every spec I've seen says that this is off-the-shelf parts that are intended to be incredibly inexpensive to manufacture. So at cost, they shouldn't be that bad. That said, the high price might be to help defray the cost of development.

The $250 system price is more baffling to me. Had they priced it at $199, Sony wouldn't have a chance. But to pay $250 for the last gen's graphics will dissuade a lot of people.

Personally, I would have been happy if one of the following happened:

1. The price was $199, and the extra controller was a bit cheaper. (Say, about $30-$40 for the Wiimote/Nunchuck pair.)

2. The price was $250, extra controller sets were $60, but there were at least two controllers in the box.

I would have MUCH preferred if the price was $199 AND the extra controller was in the box, but that would have been going above and beyond for consumers. (Which would have been a good thing.) ;)

Really, when it comes down to it, I'm frustrated that a machine designed for family and casual gamer use intentionally priced out of the very market it's targetting! All because Nintendo was too cheap to throw another controller in the box. :( I don't really care if no game system since the SNES has come with two controllers. Nintendo says they're changing the rules. Okay, so change them!

'Nuff said.

I don't know why I'm bothering but...

CPUWIZ posted WRONG information. Games are not $60 US, they are close to that price in Japan, but they said just this morning that games would be no more than $50 for 1st party games.

The Wand will be $40, the nunchuck an extra $20 - I do think that is slightly high - but still tolerable considering how rarely I actually buy controllers - it's a one shot deal basically. I'd take $60 controllers over $60 games any day.

And they aren't current gen graphics, go take the time to watch the new trailers released today. Rayman, Metroid Prime, Red Steel and Exitetruck especially have taken significant graphical improvement from previously shown builds and Madden 07 is significantly better looking than the Xbox/Cube versions with higher res textures and hugely improved lighting. I wouldn't say they are PS3 quality, but they are definately above Cube/Xbox.

It seems like alot of people have made up their minds, which is fine, but at least try not to post false that can mislead people.

The Wand will be $40, the nunchuck an extra $20 - I do think that is slightly high - but still tolerable considering how rarely I actually buy controllers - it's a one shot deal basically. I'd take $60 controllers over $60 games any day.

Keep in mind that Nintendo is targetting non-gamers and casual gamers. As someone who fits in the casual category these days, I can attest that the system + controllers is suddenly a lot more expensive than I originally planned for. Just to equip the system for 2 players, I'm now looking at a $310 price tage. To equip for the full four players (kids, myself & wife) it will be between $370 and $430, depending on whether I get the nunchucks or not. I'm sorry, but that's a lot of dough just to play Wii-Sports. (Which I'm REALLY excited about, BTW.)

Even if I decide to get the system at its launch price, you can be sure that the extra outlay will stunt my purchase of more games and controllers. Most likely I'll hold off on making purchases until the price drops.

Also, it's completely irrelevant to compare the Wii with the other systems. I have no desire for a 360 or a PS3. Which means that my choice is between a Wii and nothing. I'm not poor, but I do have a little bit of financial sense. And the value of the Wii to me is not high enough to warrant the price of everything I'll need to use it.* I'm still quite excited about the system, and I probably will still get one. But I will probably wait. And I'm sure that Nintendo's target audience (those who don't play video games) will wait as well.

It seems like alot of people have made up their minds, which is fine, but at least try not to post false that can mislead people.

How did I mislead anyone? I gave the exact same info you did! :?

* Keep in mind that used systems are quite cheap. I'm perfectly happy getting Atari, Nintendo, Odyssey^2, Intellivision, and Colecovision games. Even the Gameboy Color I have for the kids only cost me $10. Games cost between $10 and $15. That's a lot of entertainment at an incredibly small fraction of the Wii's price.

CPUWIZ posted WRONG information. Games are not $60 US, they are close to that price in Japan, but they said just this morning that games would be no more than $50 for 1st party games.

Let's hope it is wrong. :)

They also said the system would be less than $250.00 and that it will play DVD's and be a "Revolution".

I don't mean you misleading - I more mean the fact that people are constantly saying that the system is "current gen" in graphical power, which today's videos clearly show isn't the case. The fact that since CPUWIZ insists on keeping his game pricing thread active, we have people thinking that because a mod says so that the $50 price point isn't set - which it was. Also, for some reason people think they are somehow being charged $50 for Wii Sports, which also isn't the case.

Nothing towards you personally, your info was accurate. I'm just frustrated that a lot of misinformation is being spouted in these threads that make it seem like alot of people haven't hit the major news sites today to see the newest information.

I don't mean you misleading - I more mean the fact that people are constantly saying that the system is "current gen" in graphical power, which today's videos clearly show isn't the case. The fact that since CPUWIZ insists on keeping his game pricing thread active, we have people thinking that because a mod says so that the $50 price point isn't set - which it was. Also, for some reason people think they are somehow being charged $50 for Wii Sports, which also isn't the case.

Nothing towards you personally, your info was accurate. I'm just frustrated that a lot of misinformation is being spouted in these threads that make it seem like alot of people haven't hit the major news sites today to see the newest information.

I agree, I will lock the thread and if the game comes out and it's $60 bucks, I will re-open it. ;)

I agree, I will lock the thread and if the game comes out and it's $60 bucks, I will re-open it. ;)

I have a better idea, why don't you re-open it if it comes out at $50?

I have a better idea, why don't you re-open it if it comes out at $50?

Ok, I re-open it when it comes out and either say:

"Haha, I told you so!"

or

"Doh!"

Either way, those bitches could sell the system with Zelda for $1000.00 and I would still buy it, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I just want to play it. :twisted:

I never thought Nintendo would release Zelda for the Wii that much earlier than the GC version... I understand why but I am still surprised.

I'm somewhat confident in Nintendo's $50 tag for titles (1st party)... I'm more concerned about what EA and others will do... I'd really be disappointed to see $60+ games by others.

I don't really care about the cost of Wii games as I can afford the titles... a $10 difference for me isn't a big concern (I think I'll end up spending $300 on games at launch, so that means 5 or 6 games)... I'm more concerned about the price for the 'casual gamers' that Nintendo is trying to reach. I don't want the Wii to price them out of the 'casual' market.

Perhaps if the Wii does well enough, Rockstar will release Grand Theft Auto III on the system. :)

I'm guessing Nintendo will have to release their games at $49.99 retail.

They announced it, they'll do it or catch major flack, of course the 3rd party titles aren't bound to this announcement so the possiblity that you will see higher prices I'm sure exists. Also I'd be suprised if they didn't get away with releasing special editions over the $49.99 commitment price, which is fine.

What kinda bugs me is when they mention the games will be $10 less than most the 360's. Had anyone checked the retail price of 360 games lately? Many older titles are selling retail for $19.99-$39.99 now. SO lets see that's $10 to $30 less than Wii games.

Yeah I know, they are older titles....right?

But what about newer or upcoming titles?

Test Drive: Unlimited $39.99

Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged $39.99

Bomberman Act: Zero $49.99

LEGO Star Wars II $49.99

Cabela's Alaskan Adventure $39.99

Open Season $49.99

Samurai Warriors 2 $49.99

World Series of Poker $39.99

Just Cause $39.99

Blitz The League $49.99

Cars $49.99

Fuzion Frenzy 2 $49.99

History Channel: Civil War $49.99

Pimp My Ride $49.99

Rapala Trophies $39.99

Rayman 4 $49.99

Now granted there is an equal number (actually probably less) of games coming out at that same time that will be $59.99 no doubt. But it seems kinda sneaky to even mention that the Wii games will be $10 less than MOST 360 games because it's in fact bullshit.

Just wanted to point this out since it's false information and I know some folks don't like the spread of false information.

I clicked 360 because that's what I'm buying first. First now by a looooooonnnnng shot. In all of that news yesterday the only thing I read that matters to me at all is that Twilight Princess GC is being delayed again to give it's big brother a head start. I don't think $250 is too much (as I've thought that would be the price sice it was announced as possible), Wii sports is a wicked pack-in as me and my fiancee would definitely both want to play that, while something like TP Wii would not be enjoyed by her, the controllers are pricy, but I could take the hit, it has internal memory enough for some NES, SNES games and save games (so I won't have to buy any kind of memory card the same day as the system), and the virtual console games are priced exactly where I think it is fair. However, I have supported the Gamecube to the best of my ability and have defended it more times to other people than I would like to count. For that I get to have TP delayed so they can put it on the Wii, and then after all thew waiting see it delayed again so the Wii gets it first. A game that was supposed to be ready, what, a year ago? I don't mind that there's been a trickle of software for the GC, as some quality titles have been announced for this year, but I do very much mind seeing the GC killed off the way it is. Planetgamecube made a pretty good arguement for the fact that it looks like Super Paper Mario might also be pushed to the Wii. If that happens, the Wii might well move down past the PS3 on my list of systems to get.

I already made my decision. I bought a modified XBox with a 80 gig hard drive and four controllers locally for $150. My kids wanted one for Christmas if they couldn't get a new console, and all I need to do is get them some games.

That's the one to beat for versatility. It's the best "virtual console" out there since you can run all those emulators on it. XBOX Media Center is a thing of beauty, too.

Keep in mind that Nintendo is targetting non-gamers and casual gamers. As someone who fits in the casual category these days, I can attest that the system + controllers is suddenly a lot more expensive than I originally planned for....

And this is where the "casual" gamers are separated from the "casual gamers with money to burn." I guess I'm more "hardcore" than I thought, but these prices are a real turn-off for me.

Also, it's completely irrelevant to compare the Wii with the other systems. I have no desire for a 360 or a PS3. Which means that my choice is between a Wii and nothing. I'm not poor, but I do have a little bit of financial sense. And the value of the Wii to me is not high enough to warrant the price of everything I'll need to use it.* I'm still quite excited about the system, and I probably will still get one. But I will probably wait. And I'm sure that Nintendo's target audience (those who don't play video games) will wait as well.
Nail hit on head there -- this is NOT the "impluse buy" or natural second system purchase ... at least not yet. I suspect we'll see a big price drop once they get the manufacturing worked out. The $250 price is the early adopter tax.

I'll miss being able to go into the game store with the ability to play any game on the shelf -- then again, I don't go to Gamestop anymore, and there are more than enough 360/xbox games on my shelf at home anyway!

I'll be getting a Wii on day one. The games and the system look like a lot of fun. $250 is reasonable for what you get, although, of course, I would have liked to see two controllers for that price. But from the looks of it, most multiplayer games won't be requiring a nunchuck, so it's really an extra $40 per player (not that that's any great deal). Anyways, I'll get a 360 eventually, probably next year. Waiting for more games that interest me and a price drop.

I'd be very surpised if Wii titles were more than $50. Didn't Iwata even mention a $50 price point for games back at E3?

They announced it, they'll do it or catch major flack, of course the 3rd party titles aren't bound to this announcement so the possiblity that you will see higher prices I'm sure exists. Also I'd be suprised if they didn't get away with releasing special editions over the $49.99 commitment price, which is fine.

What kinda bugs me is when they mention the games will be $10 less than most the 360's. Had anyone checked the retail price of 360 games lately? Many older titles are selling retail for $19.99-$39.99 now. SO lets see that's $10 to $30 less than Wii games.

LEGO Star Wars II $49.99

Open Season $49.99

Just Cause $39.99

Blitz The League $49.99

Cars $49.99

Fuzion Frenzy 2 $49.99

Pimp My Ride $49.99

Rapala Trophies $39.99

Rayman 4 $49.99

Now granted there is an equal number (actually probably less) of games coming out at that same time that will be $59.99 no doubt. But it seems kinda sneaky to even mention that the Wii games will be $10 less than MOST 360 games because it's in fact bullshit.

Just wanted to point this out since it's false information and I know some folks don't like the spread of false information.

I noticed this several weeks ago and was surprised. I wonder if this is because of some pressure from the game buying public or these particular games weren't that expensive to make? After all some of those titles don't need next-gen graphics.

I clicked 360 because that's what I'm buying first. First now by a looooooonnnnng shot. In all of that news yesterday the only thing I read that matters to me at all is that Twilight Princess GC is being delayed again to give it's big brother a head start. I don't think $250 is too much (as I've thought that would be the price sice it was announced as possible), Wii sports is a wicked pack-in as me and my fiancee would definitely both want to play that, while something like TP Wii would not be enjoyed by her, the controllers are pricy, but I could take the hit, it has internal memory enough for some NES, SNES games and save games (so I won't have to buy any kind of memory card the same day as the system), and the virtual console games are priced exactly where I think it is fair. However, I have supported the Gamecube to the best of my ability and have defended it more times to other people than I would like to count. For that I get to have TP delayed so they can put it on the Wii, and then after all thew waiting see it delayed again so the Wii gets it first. A game that was supposed to be ready, what, a year ago? I don't mind that there's been a trickle of software for the GC, as some quality titles have been announced for this year, but I do very much mind seeing the GC killed off the way it is. Planetgamecube made a pretty good arguement for the fact that it looks like Super Paper Mario might also be pushed to the Wii. If that happens, the Wii might well move down past the PS3 on my list of systems to get.

Super Paper Mario is now a Wii title but I don't think it really matters for the Wii customer... as the Wii is BC, I would play it anyways.

As for Nintendo dropping the cube... I suppose they are moving away from the system but I wouldn't say Microsoft is any better in this department. The original XBox has gone cold in terms of new games. Only Sony has held onto previous generations of consoles (mind you their 3rd party support has always been amazing).

LEGO Star Wars II $49.99

Open Season $49.99

Just Cause $39.99

Blitz The League $49.99

Cars $49.99

Fuzion Frenzy 2 $49.99

Pimp My Ride $49.99

Rapala Trophies $39.99

Rayman 4 $49.99

I noticed this several weeks ago and was surprised. I wonder if this is because of some pressure from the game buying public or these particular games weren't that expensive to make? After all some of those titles don't need next-gen graphics.

Some of these games are likely to be cheaper on the wii as they are budget games... perhaps there is hope that Rayman on the wii will be $39.99. That would be a great price!

Also, as some of the games on the DS have shown, perhaps Nintendo's $50 limit will encourage other companies to match or sell below that price. I'm sure EA will charge $60 for their Football game but maybe other companies are going to try to sell their titles a bit more aggresively. It's worked for Capcom over the years.