IGNORED

7800 Missing in Action

jpfalcon2003

So are the DP forums back up? I had a question for Joe the other day and after reading this thread I have 2-3 more, but the boards were "down for maintenance." I'm wondering how serious he is about $5K - it would be impossible to make an investment back on repros at that price but if it was negotiable then anything's possible at a more reasonable amount.

Releasing carts of the game would be the goal. At least in my view of what should be done with this cart. I want everyone that wants to play MIA to be able to for a reasonable price.

$5k. I have recently spent that much on an ice cream truck. Damn, If I could have made a profit even a small one on MIA. Maybe I would have bought it. Wonder if I can trade. :D

Anyway, anyone in Ohio that wants to have an ice cream truck cater parties, advertise grand openings ect., pm me.

So I doubt this is gonna happen, Meaning this game getting into the hands of gamers that is. Man I really wish I had $5k cause I would buy this in a heart beat and it seems the whole chip into a fund idea is never gonna get off the ground unfortunatly. :( So MIA stays MIA yet agian.

Like, you mean, free?

*hides*

I don't think $40-50 for a repro would be unrealistic, but the $5000 to acquire and dump the prototype in the first place just makes it way too cost prohibitive. Even if you sold 100 copies at $50 you're not going to make back your investment because the cost of materials and production is going to take a big chunk out of that $50 and if you counted man hours of labor at a dollar value too you'd be taking a huge loss.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring upp this old ancient post, ( which I enjoyed reading), but I was courious if this selfish guy who owned "missing in action" ever sold this to anyone to complete?

Anyone know?

There was an interesting comment on this thread that I thought was a great point.

There were not a lot of games that came out for the 7800, and any unreleased or unfinished game that was produced is important mainly because of the small library available for the system. And I wish there were more war-military-sidescrolling-action shoot em up games...plus Chuck Norris is the Schiznick!!!!

JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF THE PROGRAMMERS ON THIS SITE EVER GOT A HOLD OF AND MODIFIED OR COMPLETED AND MADE AVAILABLE "MISSING IN ACTION", OR IS IT STILL MISSING IN ACTION? LOL

Did you think of searching all the MIA threads before you start accusing people of being selfish?

Mitch spent a lot of $ on MIA, released the .bin for FREE had some carts made to recoup some of his costs.

I could post the links but to be honest I can't be arsed

Sorry I didn't know, that's why I asked.

But thanks for the info anyway. I probably should of investigated further before posting.

And that was nice of the guy to release it for free.

Woe is me.

I was in a bad mood this morning. Sorry

But thanks for the info anyway. I probably should of investigated further before posting.

Woe is me.

Its cool.I just got back into collecting atari not too long ago.I was googling all the unreleased prototypes and a link lead me to this old thread.I didn't bother reading the year of the thread, lol.Missing in Action is new news to me.From the looks of it and everything I have been reading on the internet about the game, it seem to me that if Atari would of finished and released the game in the 80s, it would of probably saved the 7800 system in the public eye and made it competition for the NES for sure.Thanks for the apology, I felt pretty stupid, LMAO.I wish this game was for sale.

Woe is me.

From the looks of it and everything I have been reading on the internet about the game, it seem to me that if Atari would of finished and released the game in the 80s, it would of probably saved the 7800 system in the public eye and made it competition for the NES for sure.Thanks for the apology, I felt pretty stupid, LMAO.I wish this game was for sale.

MIA is a fun game, but it's probably overstating the case to suggest that it could have affected the fortunes of the 7800 in any meaningful way. You may want to do some hunting in the "Wanted" sub-forum to see if anyone will sell you a copy. In my view, though, Sirius and Plutos are better bangs for the buck (and show just how far the 7800 could be pushed, graphically).

Woe is me.

From the looks of it and everything I have been reading on the internet about the game, it seem to me that if Atari would of finished and released the game in the 80s, it would of probably saved the 7800 system in the public eye and made it competition for the NES for sure.Thanks for the apology, I felt pretty stupid, LMAO.I wish this game was for sale.

MIA is a fun game, but it's probably overstating the case to suggest that it could have affected the fortunes of the 7800 in any meaningful way. You may want to do some hunting in the "Wanted" sub-forum to see if anyone will sell you a copy. In my view, though, Sirius and Plutos better bangs for the buck (and show just how far the 7800 could be pushed, graphically).

Thanks.Yeah, I might have overestimated the "MIA save Atari" statement.But that game would of helped Ataris cause a little bit.After all, most of the few games that were available were just old arcade ports and improved versions of 2600 games.I do believe that is Atari made more action-sidescrolling-shooting-military-war- type games which were what was most popular in mid to late 1980s, instead of the same old Donkey Kong type games, the company might have been more competitive in the homevideogame market (post stock market crash).Plus releasing the console all together in 84 instead of too late in 86 certainly would of helped the cause.Especially with titles like "Missing in action"

Woe is me.

Dude, you shouldn't worry about this. The search feature on this board isn't the most accurate or user friendly out there. It's the board software, it's not as easy to search here as vBulletin or invision boards. So unless you knew exactly which search terms you needed to find the exact post where Mitch released the ROM, you'd have a hard time finding it anyway.

Also - this forum has a habit of being kind of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't!" on this stuff. Some people will yell at you for bumping an ancient thread, but then some people will yell at you for starting a new thread on a subject that already has an ancient thread (that you just got yelled at for bumping).

So going forward, don't worry about it. post what you want. ask questions and people most people will be pretty helpful.

on topic - The MIA rom isn't a "Finished" version, but it is mostly playable. Unfortunately, there was no fully commented source file(s) so there's really no way to "finish it" short of starting over from scratch.

Someone should finish "MIA",add pokey sound, and make Cartridges to sell in the Atariage store.

It would be cool if someone like PacManPlus could make that a project someday.

I would definately buy a cart or 2 of a finished version in a heartbeat.

Id probably set up a tent and sleep outside of the atariageforum store a week before its release just to get a good place in line....LoL

• 2 months later...

I am relatively new to collecting...just started within the last year and am missing 3 titles from the full Atari 7800 collection. Last year, I picked up a few homebrew games..just to get my feet wet, not really a big deal to me. I was scrolling through all the different threads and came across this one.

Here is my copy of MIA. Not sure of the rarity in 2012, but figured I would try and post a pic. Not sure how to post pics..so, hopefully I do this right.

MIA 2

MIA 1