IGNORED

Galaga/pacman anniversary cab to jamma

arcadebasement

I'm thinking of converting my original (purchased new) galaga/ms pacman/pacman 2001 anniversary caberet. It's a 48 in 1 board which I can get 'professionally' installed for $600 including parts. The galaga caberet is not plug and play like the fullsized version is - it requires some rewiring.

Got some questions for you pros.

1) Would you do it? If not why not?

2) Would this affect the resell value of the cabinet - positively or negatively?

3) Are the jamma games (multicade I guess) 100% exactly the same as the originals?

Feel free to call me a fool for even considering it etc. :D

I'm leaning towards NOT getting it done, and frankly I'd probably only be doing it for Donkey Kong. But the alternative is to buy the anniversary DK unit - which hurts the old wallet quite a bit more!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of converting my original (purchased new) galaga/ms pacman/pacman 2001 anniversary caberet. It's a 48 in 1 board which I can get 'professionally' installed for $600 including parts. The galaga caberet is not plug and play like the fullsized version is - it requires some rewiring.

Got some questions for you pros.

1) Would you do it? If not why not?

2) Would this affect the resell value of the cabinet - positively or negatively?

3) Are the jamma games (multicade I guess) 100% exactly the same as the originals?

Feel free to call me a fool for even considering it etc. :D

I'm leaning towards NOT getting it done, and frankly I'd probably only be doing it for Donkey Kong. But the alternative is to buy the anniversary DK unit - which hurts the old wallet quite a bit more!

Thanks for the replies.

2: If they ever become collectible you will drastically lower the value, but that remains to be seen.

3: No, the board is basically running MAME on a single board computer. Just MAME on a PC has enough problems, trying to run it on hardware that doesn't have enough horse power will likely exacerbate the problems. Definately try the games first, before you shell out that kind of money. The sound in DK is a likely candidate for having issues.

Edited by Dav

Why not just get a beat up Pac cab, do the sticker kit on it and convert it that way. A JAMMA harness takes about 2 hours to wire in and you could do it all yourself.

I'd suggest that avenue. Seems silly to hack something that already works just fine. You could probably sell that machine to an operator and get a few classics in trade.

C