IGNORED

Will The Wii be underwhelming?

lance_miller

Doesn't the wii controller have that feature as well? It should.. the rumble feedback rocks :D

I wouldn't call it rumble, it feels more like a electric toothbrush. :lol:

Sweet, good to know when the Trauma Center: Dentistry Edition is released we will have realistic dental tool effects! :D

Doesn't the wii controller have that feature as well? It should.. the rumble feedback rocks :D

I wouldn't call it rumble, it feels more like a electric toothbrush. :lol:

Sweet, good to know when the Trauma Center: Dentistry Edition is released we will have realistic dental tool effects! :D

That would actually be kinda cool...

"But Angie, it's only a cavity!"

"It's a cavity now, but soon he could lose his teeth! You need to learn how to care about your patient's smiles, doctor!"

": /"

So it has been confirmed that the Wii is a clocked up Cube with a gimmicky controller. I saw it coming but I was hoping they would do something a little extra for a new console.

Underwhelmed? Yup... I am excited to hear how the new games are but do I need a Wii now? Naw... I'll sit on the fence and see which system has the games I want.

I've definitely become burnt out from all the Wii hype. In fact, I am going to go cancel my pre-order at Toys R Us this week. Gee... now I have 700 or so dollars (including some trade credit). I'll have a fun time with a boatload of games to play.. or I can save it for a PS3 for next year some time or a 360 this fall.

So it has been confirmed that the Wii is a clocked up Cube with a gimmicky controller. I saw it coming but I was hoping they would do something a little extra for a new console.

Underwhelmed? Yup... I am excited to hear how the new games are but do I need a Wii now? Naw... I'll sit on the fence and see which system has the games I want.

I've definitely become burnt out from all the Wii hype. In fact, I am going to go cancel my pre-order at Toys R Us this week. Gee... now I have 700 or so dollars (including some trade credit). I'll have a fun time with a boatload of games to play.. or I can save it for a PS3 for next year some time or a 360 this fall.

In case anyone is confused, arstechnica finally lifted the lid.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061031-8112.html

I agree 100% that all that seems to matter is the FUN FACTOR. Unfortunately, that doesn't sell the kids for the most part, they are the graphic hounds.

One of the drawbacks (personally) is the pricing... in order to play Tennis with another person I'll have to shell out $300 (as the main draw is the fun factor and the play with others idea). $300 is the same as a crippled 360 but it still is a 360. You could argue that the 360 would cost another $50 for another controller but the draw isn't multiplayer gaming on one machine, that's what Live is for.

Perhaps I shall continue to sit on the fence and wait to see what really grabs my interest. After all, we need to buy something we'll like. I have some time yet to decide.

In case anyone is confused, arstechnica finally lifted the lid.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061031-8112.html

I don't see how this news could be seen as a surprise. Despite your supposed NDA and inability to talk about, you made it quite clear that this was the case quite some time ago.

There are still boatloads of Gamecube games I have yet to play or pick up. Many can be picked up used for next to nothing. I have an instant library of game for the Wii. And while I have many of the NES/SNES/N64 games that are offered as VC games, I haven't had any other systems hooked up for a couple years now. My son is just getting old enough to start playing video games and we are going to have a blast playing some of these games.

I am a long time fan of Nintendo games. Whether it is games or movies, most popular franchises get sequeled. I'll gladly play another Super Smash Bros or Mario game. You want to play the new Zelda game? Get a Wii. If the Nintendo style of gaming isn't your thing, just don't get it. And personally I don't get the whole "who will win the next console war". Who cares? Give me some more of the games I like and I AM THE WINNER!

It's not about better graphics for me. This "news" doesn't make the Wii any less a next generation system for me. BFD. I can't wait.

It's not about better graphics for me. This "news" doesn't make the Wii any less a next generation system for me. BFD. I can't wait.

If it really is basically just a GameCube with a new controller, then the question is why not just release a GameCube with a new controller?

Yes, I know some of the practical answers, but the biggest one strikes me as pretty disingenuous. I know the fact is you'd then have a splintered market and it would really be no different than releasing any other add-on. But what they're doing is basically forcing people to pay $250 for a new controller. And assuming the GameCube hardware is profitable at $99, then the Wii sure seems way overpriced.

I will buy a Wii at some point - it's pretty much inevitable that I end up with every new system eventually. But I'm not lining up at launch.

I also agree with whoever said that good graphics and fun gameplay don't have to be mutually exclusive. Who says the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't offer both? I don't see how motion control automatically makes every game better or automatically makes game designers more creative. In fact, I think the design of the Wii-mote locks them into only making certain types of games that fit that controller. I realize you can use other controllers but the Wii-mote is what's packed into the box so that's what everybody will design for.

Personally - I have no real huge need for the improved graphics of the 360 or Ps3 at this time as I can't afford the TV set to really appreciate them. I think an overclocked Cube is more than powerful enough to throw out decent graphics on a standard definition setup. I'm likely going to end up with a Wii - but I'm waiting until next year to buy one.

If it really is basically just a GameCube with a new controller, then the question is why not just release a GameCube with a new controller?

The Gamecube doesn't have Wifi built in, support for virtual console, DS connectivity.

I love the Wifi games for my DS. One can assume the Wii will have some games that support this as well.

It is more than a new controller.

This is not just a Gamecube with a new controller.

Key to the functionality of the Wii (as much as the Wiimote) is that WiiConnect24 thing.

They've engineered the console so that it'll run in a kind of sleep mode, using very little power and not requiring the fan. The idea being that your Wii is always on and, more importantly, always online.

Their aim is to kinda make it a slightly different experience every time you power up. There might be some new vehicle, weapon or other gift that appeared overnight. Someone may have visited your town in Animal Crossing (because your Wii was never really off) and you can check out any messages/gifts/tree damage they may have left.

I think it's this, more so than the controller, that is making me sway towards getting a Wii (although it won't be at launch, I'll leave the first units for the Zelda fans to enjoy)

I'll leave the first units for the Zelda fans to enjoy

Thanks, I hope others will do the same. :D

Although, you are in the U.K. and won't get the Wii until next year anyway, right? :ponder:

European release date: December 8 2006.

They just have to wait a couple weeks.

That's not too bad, thanks for the info, haven't been keeping up with European release dates, we stopped all development for it. So, I've been mainly just interested when I get to play mine. :)

This is not just a Gamecube with a new controller.

Key to the functionality of the Wii (as much as the Wiimote) is that WiiConnect24 thing.

They've engineered the console so that it'll run in a kind of sleep mode, using very little power and not requiring the fan. The idea being that your Wii is always on and, more importantly, always online.

Their aim is to kinda make it a slightly different experience every time you power up. There might be some new vehicle, weapon or other gift that appeared overnight. Someone may have visited your town in Animal Crossing (because your Wii was never really off) and you can check out any messages/gifts/tree damage they may have left.

I think it's this, more so than the controller, that is making me sway towards getting a Wii (although it won't be at launch, I'll leave the first units for the Zelda fans to enjoy)

First let me say that I will be getting a Wii early in the New Year, now let me ask:

If you do not have your Wii connected (are we talking ADSL or wireless) and cannot take advantage of it's downloading capabilities, what, apart from the controller, is the big advantage over the GC?

I live in a rural area so unless all of the Wii's features are available via some form of land-line connection does that mean I'll miss out on games sunch as those from Hudson and Sega?

I also agree with whoever said that good graphics and fun gameplay don't have to be mutually exclusive. Who says the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't offer both? I don't see how motion control automatically makes every game better or automatically makes game designers more creative. In fact, I think the design of the Wii-mote locks them into only making certain types of games that fit that controller. I realize you can use other controllers but the Wii-mote is what's packed into the box so that's what everybody will design for.

I have been saying this all along. When you break it down, the wii can do nothing the 360 or PS3 can't and the wii will never be able to do what the 360 and PS3 can*. It all comes down to the controller. And there is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having their own version of the only unique feature of the wii, and Sony already has a version. The wii really isn't the second coming of video games. Then again, neither are the other 2.

*I am not including exclusive titles. All will have them and it's a given.

I would say if you can't hook the Wii up to a broadband connection than the advantages would be the increased storage media, the built in 512meg of storage space, the new controller, the improved graphics (because they are improved, Madden reported does look better than it's Xbox1 counterpart). Do you not have any broadband internet availability like DSL or Cable?

Do you not have any broadband internet availability like DSL or Cable?

Or WiFi for that matter? I live in a rural area that does not have dsl or cable, but we do have Wifi...its a little slower than dsl, but wayyyy faster than dialup. I use it for XBox Live and it works just fine.

Edited by Lord Helmet

I have been saying this all along. When you break it down, the wii can do nothing the 360 or PS3 can't and the wii will never be able to do what the 360 and PS3 can*. It all comes down to the controller. And there is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having their own version of the only unique feature of the wii, and Sony already has a version. The wii really isn't the second coming of video games. Then again, neither are the other 2.

You're right. There is nothing stopping Microsoft and Sony from making their own version of the Wiimote - only problem is, their default remotes are set in stone and there's nothing you can do to change it. Sure they COULD release another controller but it would never get the support that the wii would get. It would just be another lightgun/steering wheel/eyetoy peripheral with no real large support.

Next-next gen is up for grabs of course. But that's so far away. Let's not think about that right now.

Edited by carpecarne