IGNORED

Homesoft

Shannon

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, tschak909 said:

I would really like to see ONE game modified to use the new High Score API that's available through the FujiNet.

I would LOVE to see The Great American Cross Country Road Race modified to use this. That would be a blast racing against the segment times of other AA users.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I would LOVE to see The Great American Cross Country Road Race modified to use this. That would be a blast racing against the segment times of other AA users.

Do not overestimate the enthusiasm to share racing results.

Inspect the utter silence here:

https://xxl.atari.pl/hsc/hsc-stunt-car-racer/  😒

On 4/26/2023 at 12:12 AM, tjlazer said:

Anyone know what the RC and RCX stand for?  Amazing update to a great game!

On 4/26/2023 at 1:55 AM, jvas said:

I suppose RastaConverter and RastaConverter + eXtended memory

No, they both just require a 130XE to run.

The RCX version has different backgrounds than the RC version, updated music, and more basic POKEY sound effects in place of the original sampled sounds. The RC version retains the original music, and the sampled sounds in their somewhat degraded form (due to higher processing requirements for the RasterConverter backgrounds).

• Like 5

Great updates and I am so glad Rastaconverter images were worked into both. With the compromises and tweaks it's all worth it.

As an aside I'd love to see more RC used in games. It would work really well for a graphical adventure/interactive novel, and possibly part point and click controlled game, (where the smaller RC image used is kept separately at the top of the screen (as is the case here with IK+ RC and RCX), with text or point and click navigational controls lower half of screen. So nothing need pass over the RC image. 

Miker has done a great job with the synthesized replacement sound fx in RCX, (where I read and you'll recognise some of the player sound fx are identical to those used in sweity's Doom segment on the excellent Rewind demo last summer. (Read this on Atarionline.pl and sure enough I recognise it)).

Whilst I love the original IK digitised sound, it still works here in RCX and I get why it was chosen. 

One thing, does anyone know if the bouncing balls bonus round made it into either RC or RCX? I've not had a chance to see. 

This is from the c64 and as a bonus round I always loved it on the ST when many balls were on screen and it got more tricky the more you deflected:

C64

image.png.dd0884bf3c4b4ffb4f4409f0c7f22b24.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Miker has done a great job with the synthesized replacement sound fx in RCX, (where I read and you'll recognise some of the player sound fx are identical to those used in sweity's Doom segment on the excellent Rewind demo last summer. (Read this on Atarionline.pl and sure enough I recognise it)).

Yes, lower-cost, voice-like sounding effects were used for some attacks.

On 4/20/2023 at 2:56 AM, JagChris said:

It saves the best times list. Mine wants to save to cassette for some damn reason.

Should be a way to parse out all save times on all files sort and put them into one file updated once every 6 months or whenever to be shared among AA members. Even the best times for all Apple and C64 players. Race against them all.

You are in 7th place behind Gung Ho Gunstar....

25 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Mine wants to save to cassette for some damn reason.

Why don't you use the disk version? ;)
It contains eight fields you can compete against. Press SELECT on the opening screen to choose one.

26 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Should be a way to parse out all save times on all files sort and put them into one file updated once every 6 months or whenever to be shared among AA members.

FujiNet's high-score feature could be used to do this. If someone takes the time to decode the fields' data, @tschak909 might be willing to implement a scraper which parses the sectors and puts the results onto his scoreboard server.

As starting point for decoding: The "fields" start on sector 496 and each one contains eight sectors.

9 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Why don't you use the disk version? ;)
It contains eight fields you can compete against. Press SELECT on the opening screen to choose one.

I am just using whatever came in the homesoft pack. Didn't realize it was the cassette version until now.

@tschak909 might be willing to implement a scraper which parses the sectors and puts the results onto his scoreboard server.

That would be cool but would be far more interested in it being in-game.

Edited by JagChris

• 2 weeks later...