IGNORED

Thinking about getting a Neo Geo upright

elviticus

So, I've wanted one for a while, and I'm starting to look around for a Neo-Geo upright. My questions to anyone who has one, or knows about them:

Any tips on what I should look for/be aware of as I shop for them?

I'm thinking of trading my Donkey Kong towards it - are the cabinets similar dimensions?

What would be a good price?

Any idea of good places to shop for them in St. Louis area?

Well, thanks as always for any help!

I have 2 Neo Geo's one I converted to a 4 slot and the other I completely restored repainted the sides and re-did all the lettering it was a bitch. I did that one to sell but I'm in Pa near Philly. Watch for the sides of the cab people love to scratch off the Neo Geo lettering and it is a royal pain in the ass to re-paint.

Yeah I got lucky I was at an arcade auction and there was a box of game boards mostly crap except for a 4 slot Neo Geo board. I was like I'll just bid and see if I can get it cheap because those damn 4 slot boards start at $100 and up on eBay. I ended up getting the lot for $60 and sold off most of the stuff got most of my money back. Didn't know if it worked (it did) but needed one hell of a cleaning to get it working and I still need to replace the on board battery. I have to re-do all the dip settings for blood every time I turn it on I usually don't though. But to get a good deal on a Neo Geo try an arcade auction in your area.

I just converted the standard red Neo cab to a 4 slot its just plug and play. A 4 slot board will work I think on any standard Neo set up without modification. Well that is if you don’t want the save feature then you have to buy a separate save card reader to hook up to the 4 slot board. I just usually play the games through when I play no need to save as of yet. I bet it was nice back in the days when you had to give up all those quarters to play the game beat it as far as you could with what you had and play another day when you had more money.

Be aware they often have sound issues. Do not assume if there is no sound that it is just turned down. Also make sure the board plays. When the battery goes on the boards it usually takes out some chips that happen to control inputs....

BTW, a 4 and 6 slot are both wired the same. 1 slots are JAMMA and its been too long for me to recall what a 2 slot is! LOL!!!

C

Thanks guys - good information.

@ Crazy Climber: yeah, Q-bert would be a cool one to have! I've got a Donkey Kong, since that was my favorite growing up. Thing is, I've played it a LOT, and I really don't have room (wife won't let me ;D) get multiple machines... so .... I figure w/Neo Geo I can have a variety in one. Also, love 2D fighters.

The one thing about Q-bert is the $$$ can't even get one cheap at an auction highly desirable game. Last time I went to an auction one went for like $500-$600 it was a nice unit though, go for even more on ebay sometimes. For the money you would spend just on that you could have a Neo and like 10 games to go with it.

I just converted the standard red Neo cab to a 4 slot its just plug and play. A 4 slot board will work I think on any standard Neo set up without modification. Well that is if you don’t want the save feature then you have to buy a separate save card reader to hook up to the 4 slot board. I just usually play the games through when I play no need to save as of yet. I bet it was nice back in the days when you had to give up all those quarters to play the game beat it as far as you could with what you had and play another day when you had more money.

Neo 1 slot is 100% jamma. So if you have a jamma cabinet, its plug and play. (well, even this is not true as most cabinets are not wired for the 4th button for player 1 and 2)

Neo 2, 4, 6 are NOT JAMMA!! The audio pinout is different. Plus you need the select button. Plus neo 2,4 and 6 slot are stereo.

I am sure there are a few other differences. Especially if you go with the dedicated neo cabinet. Dedicated cabinet has headphone jack, memory card slot, individualy lighted mini marquees, cabinet credit displays and its a stereo cabinet.

The one disadvantage to a dedicated neo geo is that its not wired for -5v. Some jamma games need that. But if your going to build an adapter to run jamma in a neo cabinet, you can add the 2 wires pretty easy.

My suggestion is go dedicated 2 slot(best cabinet, but no individual lighted marquees) or dediacted 4 slot (most convient). Stay away from the 6 slot... The cabinet us huge!!!

One last warning, if you do go with the dedicated 4 slot, the indiviual lighted marquees are always either dim or broken.. The parts are impossible to find...

Yeah I have seen one or two 4 slot marquees go up on eBay haven't had the money to get one though being uncommon and rare the $$$ goes up. One day I will have to bite the bullet and get one so my 4 slot conversion is complete that and eventually get a memory card reader for it. But yeah I have the stereo cabinet and a 4 slot board worked fine when I just plugged it in I would love a 6 slot board but your talking major $$$ to get one off eBay like $300 and up sometimes your better off just getting a 2 slot cabinet their common and sometimes are not that expensive.

Neo 1 slot is 100% jamma. So if you have a jamma cabinet, its plug and play. (well, even this is not true as most cabinets are not wired for the 4th button for player 1 and 2)

I have a Mortal Kombat 3 Jamma cab with a 25" monitor I just picked up. It has 5 buttons. Can I buy the JAMMA Neo Geo 1 slot board and it will plug right in and work or is there anything weird about the Midway controller wiring that will make it not work? The reason I ask is because I turned down a Neo 4 slot and bought the MK 3 mainly due to the monitor size and I got the MK 3 MUCH cheaper. I was kind of bummed out though because I would like to play some Neo Geo games, especially after this thread I kind of got to thinking maybe I should have bought it. I hope it will work, then I will get both :)

• 5 weeks later...

OK - it looks like I found one! I'm getting a 4 slot Neo, it looks pretty nice.

So, I've been looking around for more games for it (it comes w/4) and I notice that a LOT of the time, no mini-marquees or other extras are still with the games... This isn't surprising to me, but, how hard are the extras that came with the games to find? Any good sources (other than ebay)? I'm wondering if I should just hold out to find the games offered as complete kits or, get the games and look for the extras later.

Some of the Mini Marquees are a real bitch to track down. The MVS has a big collector fan base I've noticed so they tend to sell for a lot if there rare. I don't think you would want to buy a complete kit unless you want the stickers/posters/boxes, etc... I would just try to buy the games and Mini's seperatly, when you see them together even better. There is a NEO-GEO Forum here that might interest you

http://www.neo-geo.com/

I've found some games at a decent price there.