IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem Label Contest - Winner Announced!

Albert

I'm REALLY excited to see the creative labels you folks have come up with for this one. :) Can't wait untill some are posted.

Unfortunately I did not have time to post the initial labels (I have several now) before I left for the VGXPO and the earliest I will be able to post them is next Wednesday. I will extend the contest by another week if necessary.

..Al

Okay, I fixed the problem with the dates. The first 14 entries are up on the contest page for everyone to enjoy!

Medieval Mayhem Label Contest Submissions

Enjoy!

..Al

Thanks Al, Those labels all look wonderful so far! I like the unique variation of styles and all of the implementations of the game's graphics (esspecially Houston Berry's design with the skewerd dragon sprite is very neat!) ... I'm sure there are more to come before the last day! speaking of which, now that some entries are posted, is the deadline now definately for November 5th :?:

Also, I found an error when clicking on the "Date Submitted" link as it took me to the AA homepage instead of sorting the entries out by date (unless it's my own browser acting up), and I noticed the date of my submittion, which was really on 10/20/06. It's no biggie though, just wanted to state that for the record. ;) Thanks again!

-David

Just posted a new entry from Christopher Langridge:

Medieval Mayhem Label Contest: Christopher Langridge Susmission #1

Also, I found an error when clicking on the "Date Submitted" link as it took me to the AA homepage instead of sorting the entries out by date (unless it's my own browser acting up), and I noticed the date of my submittion, which was really on 10/20/06. It's no biggie though, just wanted to state that for the record. ;) Thanks again!

Fixed both of these issues, thanks for pointing them out.

..Al

Holy Moses!! ALL of the labels by Joel Peguero are just wicked!! I can't decide if I like the sword threw the eye or the dragon bust label the most of the three, still though IMO all 3 of his labels are leaps and bounds ahead ofthe rest of the pack.

I really like his "knight" one. The other two seem too dark, bearing in mind that colors appear different on labels than on screen (deep rich colors against a black background look great on screen, but not so great when printed). I like also Galaxy Warrior's "Silver label" entry except for the game title font, which seems totally out of place (just my opinion).

Holy Moses!! ALL of the labels by Joel Peguero are just wicked!! I can't decide if I like the sword threw the eye or the dragon bust label the most of the three, still though IMO all 3 of his labels are leaps and bounds ahead ofthe rest of the pack.

The drawing look exceptionally good :D Are these hand drawn :?: Or I guess you get permission to use the images.

-t

I really like his "knight" one. The other two seem too dark, bearing in mind that colors appear different on labels than on screen (deep rich colors against a black background look great on screen, but not so great when printed). I like also Galaxy Warrior's "Silver label" entry except for the game title font, which seems totally out of place (just my opinion).

The drawing look exceptionally good :D Are these hand drawn :?: Or I guess you get permission to use the images.

-t

My two most favorite labels right now is the label by Brian Puthuff, and the label with the knight on it by Joel Peguero. That label by Joel Peguero is badass, and is one of the best labels I have ever seen on an Atari game period. :cool:

I too like the look of Peguero's labels, but I would'nt give him that much credit.

I just hope he got permission in writing from the professional illustrators whose artwork he pasted on his entries. Being an illustrator/cartoonist myself, I can tell Brian Puthuff put more work in his single entry than did all three of Joel Peguero's labels combined, as anybody can copy/paste/crop very easily. I also spotted one of Joel's labels with the dragon image was done by fantasy illustrator Ciruelo Cabral as shown in the attachment;

post-7623-1162539638_thumb.jpg

..and these guys only sell printing rights of there work to big name publishing houses like PaperTiger and Random House, so not even the publishers can give permission to anyone to use the images they print.

:sad: I know I sound like I'm being overly critical but please understand, I'm not trying to tear anyone up here, I'm just stating a fact that commercial artwork is highly protected by their creators and their agents now a days and if I can easily spot something, so can they, so please be careful if you're gonna use artwork by someone whose still collecting big time royalties from it.

Edited by espire8

I think if anyone is using existing artwork by other artists (even with permission) they should at least give credit where credit is due when submitting them. But really, the contest rules are pretty clear about not using copyrighted images:

If you use any copyrighted images, you must seek permission from the copyright holder before using that image as part of your label. Likewise, any labels that use artwork from a previously submitted label will be rejected.

"Copyrighted images" means any image that has been created, by anyone.

...a copyright need not be granted or obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape or a letter), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.

It is important to understand that absence of the copyright symbol does not mean that the work is not covered by copyright. The work once created from originality through 'mental labor' is instantaneously considered copyrighted to that person. (From Wikipedia.)

From my standpoint, it's less about legality, than it is about respecting someone else's work.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I think if anyone is using existing artwork by other artists (even with permission) they should at least give credit where credit is due when submitting them.

From my standpoint, it's less about legality, than it is about respecting someone else's work.

Hmmm... I don't know about the respect part but there are plenty, literaly hundreds of thousands of images on every subject that are already in the public domain and 'royalty-free' for anyone to use professionaly and commercialy on their own works. In most cases, you could'nt give credit where it was due as nobody knows who the original artists were on most of the stuff because the art are so old and/or the artist is no longer living or their name was never documented. So that's what happens to all the dated commercial artwork that had it's copyright expired with it's age.

However- now anyone can sue for even using a graphic symbol that looks like another that was created before it! Ever wondered why every company that makes the "DANGER WET FLOOR" signs all have a slightly different looking symbol of a person tripping on the symbolic wet floor? or why 'SLEEPY'S the Mattress Professionals' had to do away with their mascot's mustache because he look to close to resembleing pink panther's Cluso? Btw, the person who invented the smiling slogan idea "Have A Nice Day :) " did not copyright his intelectual property in time before getting to America and now that symbol has become public domain because EVERY BUISSNESS here started using it beating him to the punch! :) ;) :P

Yeah, unfortunately it's a dog eat dog world so don't grab any dog by the ears!

Heh, well anyway, according to what I pointed out two posts above, - I think it's all about respect and CYA (Cover Your Ass!) :lol:

Hmmm... I don't know about the respect part but there are plenty, literaly hundreds of thousands of images on every subject that are already in the public domain and 'royalty-free' for anyone to use professionaly and commercialy on their own works. In most cases, you could'nt give credit where it was due as nobody knows who the original artists were on most of the stuff because the art are so old and/or the artist is no longer living or their name was never documented.

I wasn't referring to works in the public domain, but works that are recent and have active copyrights. I've had some of my stuff ripped off before and I'll tell ya' - I sure didn't like it. I don't care what their excuses may have been.

Yes, I know some labels have been submitted that appear to be using artwork that was not created by the submitters. Any artwork of this nature that the submitter cannot demonstrate is in the public domain or in the case of copyrighted work cannot demonstrate they received permission to use will be removed from consideration.

..Al

Hmmm... I don't know about the respect part but there are plenty, literaly hundreds of thousands of images on every subject that are already in the public domain and 'royalty-free' for anyone to use professionaly and commercialy on their own works. In most cases, you could'nt give credit where it was due as nobody knows who the original artists were on most of the stuff because the art are so old and/or the artist is no longer living or their name was never documented.

I wasn't referring to works in the public domain, but works that are recent and have active copyrights. I've had some of my stuff ripped off before and I'll tell ya' - I sure didn't like it. I don't care what their excuses may have been.

Yes, that's true.

Other people's works does get ripped off sometimes. I completely understand you Nathan. I was just pointing out something I think submmitters needed to know about without squashing them as it may not have been their intention but sometimes they are not aware about these copyrights issues, and even get undeserved praise from others who are not aware as well. I thought perhaps the contest rules were not as clear about it.

On the other hand, I would'nt want anyone using my material unawares like that either. and from an artist point of view, I do feel that entries should be entirely original to be concidered as it seems not fair to those who actually worked on their entries from scratch.

Well, it seems Albert just answered my concern over it anyway. :thumbsup:

The other two seem too dark, bearing in mind that colors appear different on labels than on screen (deep rich colors against a black background look great on screen, but not so great when printed).

When the contest ends, I plan to print the finalists out at the proper size for the final selection.

The Dragon by Houston is the most realistic Dragon I have ever seen. :D :D :D

Since I wasn't able to post contest submissions until my return from the VGXPO earlier this week, I have decided to extend the contest for one week until 11:59pm, November 12th, 2006! If you've already submitted labels, now you have time to submit a few more! If you haven't yet submitted labels, now you have a bit more time. :) Can't wait to see what other entries arrive in my mailbox before the contest is over!

..Al

Since I wasn't able to post contest submissions until my return from the VGXPO earlier this week, I have decided to extend the contest for one week until 11:59pm, November 12th, 2006! If you've already submitted labels, now you have time to submit a few more! If you haven't yet submitted labels, now you have a bit more time. :) Can't wait to see what other entries arrive in my mailbox before the contest is over!

..Al

Excellent!

Thanks Al, you're the best! :thumbsup:

The Dragon by Houston is the most realistic Dragon I have ever seen. :D :D :D

Hey! That's MY dragon design! :x ...Ha Ha! :lol: Just kidding! ;)

okay, my art skills are extremely pathetic when it comes to drawing, painting, and the like, but I've posted a very primitive concept of something I'd like to see someone with far greater skills than mine take a whack at...

post-5874-1162619283_thumb.jpg

I think a lot of people are keying in on the fire breathing dragon - definitely a graphical highlight of the game - so keep that fella, but I'd like to see the dragon blasting a knight with his shield, the flames licking the shield and so on. The shield reminds me of the deflector for the fireball. I also think it would be very cool to have the SpiceWare logo built into the surface of the shield, kind of like a neat place to put the brand name. I think the knight having a mace to whomp the dragon looks a lot more menacing than a sword. And some sort of mountainous backdrop adds to the fantasy element.

So please someone with much, much, much greater artistic skills than mine, if you get inspired by my horrid mock-up, please take this idea and run with it.

okay, my art skills are extremely pathetic when it comes to drawing, painting, and the like

You know, if you keep working at it, eventually you'll have the skills to beat win one of these contests yourself. If Nathan ever gets a hobby, anyway. :)

You know I love your designs, Nathan! :)

Yes, that's true.

Other people's works does get ripped off sometimes. I completely understand you Nathan. I was just pointing out something I think submmitters needed to know about without squashing them as it may not have been their intention but sometimes they are not aware about these copyrights issues, and even get undeserved praise from others who are not aware as well. I thought perhaps the contest rules were not as clear about it.

On the other hand, I would'nt want anyone using my material unawares like that either. and from an artist point of view, I do feel that entries should be entirely original to be concidered as it seems not fair to those who actually worked on their entries from scratch.

Well, it seems Albert just answered my concern over it anyway. :thumbsup:

it was'nt my intention to take someone's work and put them on this label, sorry about that, i live in the 3 world, in my country we dont have to much laws like all of u have, and i dont whant any troubles, am a graphic designer, not a ilustrator as u people now, is the first time i have been in a contest like this, sorry again, and peace. joel