IGNORED

Atari, AtariAge, AtariMuseum, AtariProtos @ VGXPO!

Albert

I forgot one more fun experience at VGXPO. I beat Xari Arena! I was actually demoing it to some people and just kept going. Thirty Two levels later I got the secret message and ending screen. Someone was there taking pictures of the whole thing and I really wish I could remember who it was. Hopefully they'll see this thread...

Tempest

NEGATIVES:

1. OBNOXIOUS PEOPLE ON THE P.A. SYSTEM: I swear to god I was ready to hurt someone. The quantity of people allowed to SCREAM AND YELL through the P.A. system was just ugly. I had a throbbing headache for two days because of the vgXpo Staff and the asshats from GameCrazy who could not shut the hell up. Cassidy, Al, Matt, and a few others witnessed me verbally assaulting the 17 year old GameCrazy punk on Sunday when I could not take it anymore. Matt made is own attempt Saturday night.

4. MARKETING/PROMOTION: I live here in Philly, and I saw absolutely ZERO in the way of marketing. If the people behind this show can't get the word out locally, they will never build this into the event they dream of.

Oh lord yes - they were so obnoxious on that PA system! Best I could do was ask nicely for them to turn the volume down because you couldn't hear a jetliner over their hollering. Finally later (and I didn't think I yelled that loud) "Please just shut up and go away!" to which they yelled back with the mike "No and you can't make us" or something like that. Announcements are necessary but going around the entire convention every 5-10 minutes promoting the same stupid things over, and over, and over again is just nonsense.

We were actually talking about the promotion of the event on the way home as well. We had been to approx 3 EB and 4 Gamestop stores and didn't hear anyone even mention the event. In fact, one manager said they had heard something a while back about the event but didn't even remember it was that weekend. Also, on the major radio stations there was not a peep or on any major news stations and we actually watched specifically to see if there was any mention. Newspapers also had zilch info on the event.

ps - I like pickles.

Cassidy, between your and Mike's last post I nearly couldn't breathe from laughing so much. Bit they were both so right on. Also, thank you for explaining a few of the Tales we had heard references for.

*Snicker* "Now with Karate action"... *Snicker*

Edited by Chickybaby

Let's just say that 5 people weighing an average of 250 pounds each dressed up like Sailor Moon was more than I wanted to see. Also the strange guy dressed up like a pirate who kept offering to paddle me got more than a little uncomfortable...

LOL, I just blew soda through my nose reading that! :lol:

The attendance numbers do sound rather low.

Edited by remowilliams

I forgot one more fun experience at VGXPO. I beat Xari Arena! I was actually demoing it to some people and just kept going. Thirty Two levels later I got the secret message and ending screen. Someone was there taking pictures of the whole thing and I really wish I could remember who it was. Hopefully they'll see this thread...

Tempest

Aw that sucks. I would really like to have seen that.

Allan

Tempest

Allan

Just messing with you, Tempest.

Allan

post-187-1162266784_thumb.jpg

post-187-1162266846_thumb.jpg

post-187-1162266904_thumb.jpg

post-187-1162266965_thumb.jpg

post-187-1162267024_thumb.jpg

Tempest

Allan

Just messing with you, Tempest.

Allan

Oh it was you! I swear I couldn't remember who it was next to me at the time... Too many people this weekend... :)

Ok looking at that one photograph you can see the Xari's forming the programmers initials. The one set appears to be JRS (John R Seghers), but I'm not sure what the second set are. It looks like JGG or maybe just GG. I assume these are the initials of the graphics or sound programmer.

EDIT: Ok I think the second set of initials are actually CG for Courtney Granner. She did the graphics on a few other 5200 games such as Gremlins (which John programmed as well).

Tempest

Also, on the major radio stations there was not a peep or on any major news stations and we actually watched specifically to see if there was any mention.

Philadelphia's Channel 6 was there (it's either the local ABC or NBC affiliate) taping. There was nothing on the 11:00 news Saturday night but it might have played on the 5:00 news.

Also, on the major radio stations there was not a peep or on any major news stations and we actually watched specifically to see if there was any mention.

Philadelphia's Channel 6 was there (it's either the local ABC or NBC affiliate) taping. There was nothing on the 11:00 news Saturday night but it might have played on the 5:00 news.

I was briefly interviewed by a local camera crew, but not sure what station they were with. Maybe there's something on their website about the show?

..Al

EDIT: Ok I think the second set of initials are actually CG for Courtney Granner. She did the graphics on a few other 5200 games such as Gremlins (which John programmed as well).

Tempest

Nice detective work. It is hard to tell if they are 'g's or 'c's so you are probably right. You should send the pictures off to John if you have an email address.

Allan

Just want to chime in with a brief note thanking everyone who stopped by the AtariAge booth, and especially those who helped! I'd like to single out Chickybaby and Z28in82 who went well above and beyond in helping out during before, during, and after the show! Sorry Shaun that you got your hand caught in that stupid elevator--I've never seen so many problematic elevators in one location. Hope your hand heals quickly! Also thanks to John Champeau, PacManPlus and Allan for doing an amazing job of reworking a batch of Conquest of Mars carts that had a problem and needed a new version of the binary. You guys rock!

And thanks Mike Stulir for running to the Apple store to get me that silly mini-DVI to DVI adapter that should have been included with my laptop! Thanks Cassidy for giving me a great deal on those 2600 carts you really didn't want to drag home (and also thanks to your wife for the great lunch she went to get out on Saturday!) Thanks Mike, Matt, Chickybaby and Z28 for hanging around after the show to help me pack everything up--we made pretty quick work and weren't the last ones out of the show for a change (well, uhmm, at least that I'm aware of)!

The best part of the show for me was meeting old friends and making new ones. I just wish I had more time to hang out with people (especially Saturday night). Also would have been nice to have more time to play all the wonderful arcade games Jeff from Videotopia brought to the event! If I ever had my own private arcade, it would be stocked with those same games!

Having Atari at the booth and meeting several Atari execs (including CEO David Pierce) also made the trip quite worthwhile. They gave away 100 Flashback 2 consoles and countless "Atari Anthology" CDs. And a fair number of metal Fuji pins. :) They chatted with a large number of attendees and I think they have a better understanding of what the classic gaming scene is all about now. They also gave a talk at the event that I still need to listen to! I look forward to future endeavors with them.

Btw, I have posted over 100 pictures of the event here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atariage/sets...57594356454953/

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest

Actually Courtney Granner is a man.

FCV

Oops, my bad. :) Have you actually spoken with him before?

Tempest