IGNORED

So what's wrong with Donkey Kong?

Atarifever

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=149

On the left. :)

INTV... bass ackwards...

Not an official port but the Tandy Coco version:

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/donkeyking.html

It matched the arcade pretty well in layout, number of screens and gameplay.

Yeah... the sound leaves a lot to be desired like most Coco titles and the artifact colors aren't true to the arcade but that was life in the Coco lane until the Coco3.

Here is the Donkey Kong Jr clone for the Coco1/2:

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/juniorsrevenge.html

and for the Coco3:

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/returnjuniorsrevenge.html

I thought the reason so many Kong versions were backwards was because they couldn't fit another level on the shorter screen without shortening the ladders and changing the gameplay. Either way they changed it so I don't see the advantage myself.

You know, just to be fair, I decided to load up a 7800 emulator and run Donkey Kong...

And it is actually more enjoyable on emulation. It doesn't look so washed out, and the pace picks up ok after the first few levels.

But, I did find that I didn't enjoy gameplay as much as the 8 bit. It is just frustrating, and repetitive. You don't climb ladders fast enough, and it is really sloppy feeling. That is the best I can describe it... Trying to climb up, climb down, get on, get off ladders is really annoying. I don't mind losing a game because I've made a bad move... but having a move ignored is a different item all together.

And the sound *is* attrocious.

I also checked out Bon*Q, Kenfused Q*Bert clone which I got a rash of abuse for saying the game didn't feel right to me, once. Oddly enough, I noticed the same thing with Bon*Q that bothers me on the 7800. I had thought it was maybe just my Prosticks not being very responsive (and my RSI did prove to be BETTER on the real hardware), but this is emulation with a Stelladaptor and a FB2 cart, yet I ran into the same thing. I'd have to push in a directional TWICE before it would register... it just feels like there is a buffer that isn't registering diagonal inputs correctly and dropping them. It feels slow, too. The same complaint I have with so many 7800 titles... There just isn't an intensity to the gameplay. For Q*Bert, always moving along without a second to contemplate is important, and those missed inputs really introduce the same kind of frustration with the gameplay I am feeling with Donkey Kong.

I don't want this to derail into a big discussion about Bon*Q, so I'll say this, Q*Bert, with it's 3D perspective and diagonal 4 way control is among a group of titles that always seems problematic for console interpretation. Frogger, Pac Man, Zaxxon, and a handful of others. These observations are NOT about the quality of Kenfused's programming. They're more about what I think are limitations specific to the 7800 platform. If it were the only console I had and I had to learn to adapt, I might come to really enjoy it, much the same way that people argue about the 5200 and adapting to it's unique controllers (or how, mind you, some people are unwilling or unable to adapt and dismiss the 5200 as a garbage console).

The odd thing is, on a REAL 7800, in 2600 mode, I never have problems with inputs, and the games can feel as intense as the "real" 2600 is capable of making a game. The same hardware, the same joysticks, the same titles, and the 7800 should be markedly more enjoyable, and it often is... but there are a handful of titles where the controls just make you go, "WTF". Pole Position 2 is a great example. It feels like you're playing under water. It feels like there is a delay from when you start pushing the stick until the car responds.

I guess I'll go check out PP2 in emulation and see if I get the same feeling there.

Ok... two real quick games later... hardly a conclusive round of gaming...

Ms. Pac Man 7800 is by far the BEST Atari version of the game, and maybe one of the most enjoyable versions of the game around. It has good speed, the sound is good, the gameplay is challening, it feels fast paced and exciting. The graphic improvements aren't considerably more than the 5200/8 bit, but they're there... but the gameplay is far better from the start.

Pole Position 2, on emulation... seems better than I remember it on the real hardware, but still doesn't have as good of a "feel" as the 5200 version. There is no doubt the *graphics* on the 7800 version are far superior. Your car looks like a car (even if it is monochrome yellow) as opposed to a lego F-1 racer... but, the feel isn't as involving. Of course, Pole Position isn't exactly one of the most exciting games on any of the consoles.

Edited by Paranoid

I like it better than the 7800 version, but that is mostly just a nostalgia thing working for the CV version's advantage.

Yeah,same here!,god,why oh why,did the 7800 version have to have that HORRIBLE,HORRENDOUS,HEADACHE INDUCING SOUND?well,we know why,but why?it ruined an other wise AWESOME game!!!,couldnt they(ATARI),have made an exception,to their cost cutting and put a pokey chip in the cart,NOOOOOOOOOOOO,just venting my frustration:).God that is such a shame!

I don't even think adding a pokey is necessary.

If someone with a little TIA knowledge could just replace the sounds in 7800 DK with the sounds from the 2600 DK port, it would be just fine.

Add the original 4th level, and it would be the best home port there is.

Actually I have been playing the 8 bit version again recently, and after a while the sound on that gets mighty annoying.

It takes longer to get pi$$ed off than the 7800 version, but it still grates :evil:

• 1 month later...