IGNORED

2600 Game Values declining?

shining slade

Wow, I've kind of been out of the loop so to say on Atari stuff lately. I just went on ebay to check going prices for stuff sold and man has that changed over the past year! I think it's pretty crazy for games to be going so cheap. I'm talking a Silver Gravitar with instructions for only $38.88? Crazy Climber for under $50, even under $40 in a few auctions? WTF is going on? I guess there's been a steady decline on Atari collecting maybe? I have a bunch of extra carts that I was going to sell, but with prices this low on the rares, my common to mid rarity carts will probably go dirt cheap.

Wow, I've kind of been out of the loop so to say on Atari stuff lately. I just went on ebay to check going prices for stuff sold and man has that changed over the past year! I think it's pretty crazy for games to be going so cheap. I'm talking a Silver Gravitar with instructions for only $38.88? Crazy Climber for under $50, even under $40 in a few auctions? WTF is going on? I guess there's been a steady decline on Atari collecting maybe? I have a bunch of extra carts that I was going to sell, but with prices this low on the rares, my common to mid rarity carts will probably go dirt cheap.

This has been going on for a couple of years already. Some people say prices will go back to their original (high) values afters christmas/summer/halloween/easter/etc. but i have never seen any proof of that.

Fact is that there are more collecters who stop collecting than that there are new collecters who just started. Less demand, equal supply -> lower prices.

One thing I've noticed too is that carts are starting to show up at the local thrifts again and they aren't locking them up in the "collectibles" case any more they are being sent out with the general merchandise (ie all the other junk.) I'm wondering if there will be a resurgence at the thrifts as the people that re-collected in the 90s start to unload their stuff again?

Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay!!

1. Quantity - You can find multiple rare games on sale at any one point in time.

2. Patience - You can wait for a better deal.

3. Ease of use - Alerts and notifications make this process so effortless to use.

Also the rarity guide allows users to price more effectively what they feel Atari games are worth based on their rarity.

I think what you're seeing is that most long time collectors have alot of the rares already and new collectors aren't interested in paying $100+ for a single game when there are tons of $5 games they still need. Also, times are tough for alot of people so collecting may be being put off for awhile.

What is taking off are the prices of boxed games. This is most likely due to the previously mentioned long time collectors needing something new to go after to make their collections whole. There was a time when a box would only add a few bucks to a game (unless it was really rare), but now it seems to almost double the price the game. Sears boxes seem to be really in demand now for some reason.

Tempest

heh. as a 2600 lover, with nes games selling for ass loads of dosh, I feel the rare 2600 games should be worth more (because I feel the 2600 IS worth MORE...) I too love being able to get stuff for a lot less than I think it's worth but I don't think it's good for values to drop. We want demand to increase, we want our antique 2600 games to be worth what they really are worth as incredibly important pieces of interactive art history :-)

I think what you're seeing is that most long time collectors have alot of the rares already and new collectors aren't interested in paying $100+ for a single game when there are tons of $5 games they still need. Also, times are tough for alot of people so collecting may be being put off for awhile.

What is taking off are the prices of boxed games. This is most likely due to the previously mentioned long time collectors needing something new to go after to make their collections whole. There was a time when a box would only add a few bucks to a game (unless it was really rare), but now it seems to almost double the price the game. Sears boxes seem to be really in demand now for some reason.

Tempest

Boxed games can be even more than that too. I just bought a 7800 boxed Titlematch pro wrestling for a pretty penny.

Boxed games can be even more than that too. I just bought a 7800 boxed Titlematch pro wrestling for a pretty penny.

I was offered $100 just for my Box awhile back. Oh and everyone's response seems to favor the buyer here.

Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay!!

1. Quantity - You can find multiple rare games on sale at any one point in time.

2. Patience - You can wait for a better deal.

3. Ease of use - Alerts and notifications make this process so effortless to use.

Ebay sucks for the seller right now! I've been wanting to unload a few carts like Rubik's Cube, Sir Lancelot, Star Strike White Label, Frogger II, etc. but not at what the prices dictated by ebay are currently. :sad:

heh. as a 2600 lover, with nes games selling for ass loads of dosh, I feel the rare 2600 games should be worth more (because I feel the 2600 IS worth MORE...) I too love being able to get stuff for a lot less than I think it's worth but I don't think it's good for values to drop. We want demand to increase, we want our antique 2600 games to be worth what they really are worth as incredibly important pieces of interactive art history :-)

Screw that. I'd be happy if 2600 stuff was worth zilch money. I have no idea why anyone would want to the stuff to be more than.. free. :cool: I mean, if you own it already, then it's value doesn't matter, so values only count for stuff you're going to get. So, the cheaper the 2600 stuff is, the better. If a super rare boxed game was $5. That's great. Personally I wouldn't care if my entire collection was worth 2 bucks. What matters is I got it :P

..Unless you're selling of course, but that's a WHOLE different ballpark and not what I'm talking about :)

You know I used to hate that Atari game prices were dropping so much, but quite frankly if I paid $100+ for a loose cart the only person I have to blame is myself. I was never going to find any of those games in the wild anyway so what the hell. At least hopefully I can get any of the others I want cheaper if they keep on going down. :D

I've been wanting to unload a few carts like Rubik's Cube, Sir Lancelot, Star Strike White Label, Frogger II, etc. but not at what the prices dictated by ebay are currently. :sad:

I hope sometime soon you find a minute to think about this again, realizing what nonsense that statement is...

I see the market bottoming out on all the loose 'common' rares (CTCW, SQWW, CC) . I also see the occasional $44 auction for a boxed PB Frogger. That is the newbie trying to buy that particular title and I highly doubt the newbie remembers playing Gauntlet. I just wish it was MY auctions they were bidding on!!!

As for the values declining, I think it just like the housing market and I agree the loose supply is higher than demand. Do you think it could be loose collectors now want to upgrade? I don't think some rares will EVER fall in value ( Out of Control, Video Life, Malagai, etc). Boxed titles from Coleco and Parker Brothers that are rare now demand major money in the community.

C

Ebay sucks for the seller right now! I've been wanting to unload a few carts like Rubik's Cube, Sir Lancelot, Star Strike White Label, Frogger II, etc. but not at what the prices dictated by ebay are currently. :sad:

Well i guess most people would agree with me that it's not very likely that the prices paid for those carts are going to rise any time soon (if ever). You can sell them now and still get some money for them, or wait for the prices to rise again, but most likely you will end up selling them for even less...

I understand that as a seller you don't like this situation, but most people here are buyers so don't expect too much sympathy. Atari 2600 games are just not a really good investment :roll:

BTW What you could do is put them on ebay with the minimum price you are willing to sell them for as the starting price and hope someone will bite. But you'll probably have to list them a number of times before you get a buyer (so you are probably going to loose some money on ebay fees)

Edited by YOK-dfa

Well i guess most people would agree with me that it's not very likely that the prices paid for those carts are going to rise any time soon (if ever). You can sell them now and still get some money for them, or wait for the prices to rise again, but most likely you will end up selling them for even less...

I understand that as a seller you don't like this situation, but most people here are buyers so don't expect too much sympathy. Atari 2600 games are just not a really good investment :roll:

BTW What you could do is put them on ebay with the minimum price you are willing to sell them for as the starting price and hope someone will bite. But you'll probably have to list them a number of times before you get a buyer (so you are probably going to loose some money on ebay fees)

I disagree with this statement. There is an old addage. Buy low sell High. Take a step back and ask yourself this question? Are video games selling high or are they selling low. Seems to me that they are selling low. So it would not make sense to Sell at this particular time. Remember everything collectable has it's down and up points and just because something is going down does not mean it will not go up again. It will eventually go up again though it may require some patience like waiting 3 to 4 years on certain items. Another thing is the christmas season is just starting, we may be jumping the gun on this just a little. If 2 months from now prices are still in the toilet than I would agree that they are in a downward spiral.

If prices are down here are some reason's why

1. Ebay stores being allowed to sell a rare item for six months in a row. (With Ebay stores, Ebay in part has ceased to be a REAL auction house.)

2. Sniping(A majority of the people snipe now and with an item looking like it's worthless to some new ebayer because no one has bid on it then they are less likely to bid on that item themselves.)

3. An increased knowledge by people who could care less about collecting Atari 2600 knowing what is rare and what is not rare.( This then creates a glut

of more sellers than buyers on certain items.)

4. The perception by some collectors that the Atari 2600 "sky is falling" (Which leads some to get theirs while they believe they can still get theirs)

All in all the truth is that this is probably an awesome time to collect. Enjoy this while you can because soon the market is about to adjust to all these factors just mentioned. Wheather people like to admit it or not, video games were a huge part of most peoples lives growing up. It is something that required more time and effort than playing with a doll, or looking at a baseball card, or playing a record, or even reading a comic book. Fact is that this industry undervalued and it has been that way from day one. One day video games will have their moment in the sun as the thing to collect. I do not know when this will happen but it will happen wheter it be a year from now or 30 years from now. At the present moment we Atari 2600 collectors get this type of look when telling people how many Atari 2600 games we have :roll: :roll: :roll: Eventually in the future we will get this look :-o :-o :-o

Edited by homerwannabee

Screw that. I'd be happy if 2600 stuff was worth zilch money. I have no idea why anyone would want to the stuff to be more than.. free. I mean, if you own it already, then it's value doesn't matter, so values only count for stuff you're going to get. So, the cheaper the 2600 stuff is, the better. If a super rare boxed game was $5. That's great. Personally I wouldn't care if my entire collection was worth 2 bucks. What matters is I got it

..Unless you're selling of course, but that's a WHOLE different ballpark and not what I'm talking about

I'm right here with NE1. What I see is speculators and collectors interested in long term investment getting their just rewards for causing the prices in the community to climb to insane prices. I've been saying for awhile that paying too much for ancient obselete technology is insane. The thing that makes this attractive to me is that

1: The Games are GOOD

2: The prices are highly affordable in general.

Fortunately, for the MOST part, the most expensive titles are those that had limited production runs during the worst of the market glut and are therefore marginal games. This is maybe the most ironic thing about these ultra-rare highly sought titles. They're often among the WORST titles out there. There are exceptions (like Quadrun). But for the most part, this seems to be the case.

With emulation having gotten so good in recent memory, and almost ALL of the good dumps out there somewhere, this just further erodes the desire to pay more than a few bucks for a rare, suck-ass game.

I understand paying $20-60 for a new homebrew game (After all, they're designed as labors of love, in limited production qualities, with higher expenses associated with making them available, and the authors should be able to benefit from their work). And the same applies, only moreso, to Multicarts, where the $125-200 is justified by the cost savings the multicart promises you. But paying anything above about $20 for a USED game is just lunacy, in my opinion.

Collectors to me aren't as bad as those who are really speculating and investing, although the line there is far more fuzzy than say, the line between gamers and collectors. There isn't any fine line, obviously. But the Speculators/Investors are the ones who really bring a bad vibe to the community.

I found this out the hard way from years of collecting comic books, the only people who make out are the large dealers who can afford to buy out whole collections for pennies on the dollar. Individuals who think that they can profit from their collection by buying a few rare items at a time are living in a fool's paradise. I collect things to enjoy them. That's why my comic book collection wasn't worth a lot of money, they were all read. People who buy collectable items to make money off of, need to turn it into a business. Otherwise it will be all hit or miss, mostly miss.

NES collections are going the same way regarding boxes. People have the games and are now wishing they had the boxes, manuels, etc. I can see SNES and N64 going this way eventually.

I spent a lot of time this summer at garage sales buying systems and collections at pretty cheap prices (mostly Genesis). I picked up some semi-rare games and sold off doubles and extra systems. I figure I broke even, but I did pick up dozens of games for basically free!

I've noticed that too,I'm sure glad about that,as I have no intention of selling any of my games, that includes multiple copies as well,I am a shameless hoarder.But thats great for gamers who just want the games strictly for playing like me,as the cheaper the games are to purchase, the better for me,but that must be crap for the sellers though! In other words, it depends on which side you're on really,if its good or not.