IGNORED

2600 Game Values declining?

shining slade

I don't understand. Are you guys in it for money? If you're tired of that game, sell it. Let someone else enjoy it.

Now, if you're in it for money, then fine. I can understand why the upset. Still, I'm wondering where most folks' focus is?

I'm not upset. I'm glad! It means I may be able to afford stuff I want ;p

I've noticed that too,I'm sure glad about that,as I have no intention of selling any of my games, that includes multiple copies as well,I am a shameless hoarder.But thats great for gamers who just want the games strictly for playing like me,as the cheaper the games are to purchase, the better for me,but that must be crap for the sellers though! In other words, it depends on which side you're on really,if its good or not.

Well I can see where picking things up cheap is cool but I still dont like thinking of my collection is being de-valued, especially since I find 80% or more of my stuff in the wild.

I tend to think like the other person stated, its in a state of flux and it will rise again. But I'd still rather see my collection as more valuable not less.

And to answer the new posed question, Both. I want every title and i want my games to be worth more every year, is that wrong? It doesnt mean I love atari less because I want it to be valuable. I want these dopes that give you the funny look today, to be jealous as all F*** when they're old and telling stories about how they threw away their atari and then invite them over for a game of Gauntlet. Thats what I want so sue me.

Edited by Phantom

All NES carts $8? Holy fucking shit, that's about $7.99 too much for a Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. Those things are so dirt common I used to buy them at Funco just for the dust sleeves and use them for other games (cheaper than buying the sleeves off eBay). There's at least a hundred Nintendo titles nobody in their right mind should pay more than $2 tops for and another couple hundred that would max out at $4 at the most.

All NES carts $8? Holy fucking shit, that's about $7.99 too much for a Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. Those things are so dirt common I used to buy them at Funco just for the dust sleeves and use them for other games (cheaper than buying the sleeves off eBay). There's at least a hundred Nintendo titles nobody in their right mind should pay more than $2 tops for and another couple hundred that would max out at $4 at the most.

Let me try to remember the original prices.

$8 for 1....then once you got up to about 5 it was like $20 for 5 or something....

And yes, Mario / Duck Hunt costs just as much as any of the Mega Man games.

A few months ago they decided to select certain games and price them individually. It's rediculous. I personally don't care if the dirt cheap games are overpriced (game trade stores are always going to be overpriced on the dirt cheap stuff relative to Ebay prices, unless it's Funco of course) - it's common games that happen to be fetching alot on Ebay that the game stores recently decide to price individually.

Is there any reason to be pricing Blaster Master at more than the fixed NES game price????????

You must not know how much some of those original release NES games go for, MMF. I remember a good eight years ago back in GA I managed to purchase two complete boxed copies of "Mario Bros." and "Donkey Kong" for the NES (both fully working) for $10 total. I put them up on eBay, and they actually went for $20 and $10 respectively.

My guess was that the person or people who bought them must be looking for the FamiCom converters that were in a number of the original release carts, but yes if you put down a game and give it a decent description you could make a nice amount off them, if only because that particular title was in demand.

I think what you're seeing is that most long time collectors have alot of the rares already and new collectors aren't interested in paying $100+ for a single game when there are tons of $5 games they still need. Also, times are tough for alot of people so collecting may be being put off for awhile.

What is taking off are the prices of boxed games. This is most likely due to the previously mentioned long time collectors needing something new to go after to make their collections whole. There was a time when a box would only add a few bucks to a game (unless it was really rare), but now it seems to almost double the price the game. Sears boxes seem to be really in demand now for some reason.

Tempest

I think Tempest has pretty much nailed it. Boxed games, especially around the R5-R7 range, are really cranking up in price while loose carts (like those people have mentioned) are falling. The harder to get Parker Bros. (Q*bert's Qubes), Imagic (Subterranea), Spectravision (Master Builder), and Coleco (Time Pilot) titles are getting more expensive to get boxed, plus interest is picking up in Sears games, too. As someone else pointed out, more people getting more computers and using eBay more means more games uncrated and put up for sale, and as these tend to be loose more often than boxed, the market price is being driven down by volume. I've been using eBay for almost 9 years now, and this is a very noticeable trend particularly in the last year or so.

The prices for loose Atari games are falling but this only means I'll be able to buy more for my collection. I collect for many cart based systems and Atari is only one of my collections... It has crossed my mind to sell off some of my complete NES games to help fund the last 2600 titles I need but I just can't do it. I feel I would miss those boxed NES games that I know I'll never buy boxed again.

I never really wanted Atari boxes and one of the reasons was because they are so easy to find. I really think it is more difficult to find boxes in good condition for NES and SNES than for Atari. That's not to say a lot of Atari boxes are near impossible to locate. But, a lot of the rare ones are really bulky (Track and Field), were thrown out more non-chalantly and that alone can drive the price up. There are 100 other reasons as well.

One thing a lot of new collectors fail to realize is that there are a tremedous number of factors involved in the price paid for any given game. For example, the "cheap" gravitar with instructions mentioned at the beginning of this thread had holes punched through it. Well, the fact is that those instructions were included hurt the final ending price of the item. The cart itself was in great shape but no one even noticed it because of the destroyed instructions next to it. All you have to do is keep in mind that there are factors that no one else even knows about with every sale whether it be e-bay or at a flea market. There is no way you can point to this item or that one and make a certain judgement about the price it sold for until you know all the possible information about the transaction and the parties involved (which in some cases is many more than two).

This drives me crazy to no end. I really can't stand it when people think it is their duty to watch out for the fellow collector and flame someones good name because of some factor that is none of their damn business. If the collector doesn't inform him/herself about the product, it's their own damn fault for being uninformed. Please do not think you are doing a favor to the community by saying anything negative about ANYONE because you are NOT.

OK, got carried away there for a second but what I really want to say is that an informed collector ends up being a much happier one in the long run, reguardless of what price or rarity is involved.

You must not know how much some of those original release NES games go for, MMF.

Actually I have a complete NTSC collection, and I do +mean+ +COMPLETE+ including Stadium Events, Cheetahmen II, and the Myriad 6-in-1, so I have a pretty good idea of which carts are high value and which are common as dirt. If you're paying $8 and up for common games you're either using eBay or visiting the world's most overpriced pawnshop. Fully a third to half of the 700+ carts in the set I paid less than $5 for by going to Funcoland, pawn shops, and buying direct through the Marketplace here on AA or at DP.

You must not know how much some of those original release NES games go for, MMF.

Actually I have a complete NTSC collection, and I do +mean+ +COMPLETE+ including Stadium Events, Cheetahmen II, and the Myriad 6-in-1, so I have a pretty good idea of which carts are high value and which are common as dirt. If you're paying $8 and up for common games you're either using eBay or visiting the world's most overpriced pawnshop. Fully a third to half of the 700+ carts in the set I paid less than $5 for by going to Funcoland, pawn shops, and buying direct through the Marketplace here on AA or at DP.

What is Funcoland? Do you have a spare extra copy of Sunday Funday for sale loose?lol

PM SENT

One thing I have noticed is that rare PAL stuff is increasing in price. As there are only a few collectors out there sometimes you can get a great deal off ebay when items go unnoticed, but for the most part, the prices are increasing.

I have noticed that too. I started buying PAL stuff pretty heavily about a year ago since I rarely find any NTSC stuff I need anymore. For around 10 EUR or less I had picked up Z-Tack, Mission Survive, Pitufo, Universal Chaos (new in box), plus many more. Just got a PAL Cakewalk off eBay for 40 EUR. Figure I'll never find the NTSC at a price I can afford, so what the heck. Pricecs have definitely been on the rise, though. It seems like a lot more collectors from the States are looking overseas for those exclusive carts.

Funcoland closed locally.

Yeah, alot of pawnshops suck on NES prices...I'm not saying I'm PAYING that money for those games. I'm just telling you it's rediculous that they're priced that way.

My point (which I missed) was that I'm not angry if Mario / Duck Hunt is $8, because the $8 price used to be set for all NES games. This meant there was the chance of a super rare game popping up and I could get it for $8.

That isn't the case now - not only is the "standard" price still $8 for 1, $20 for 5 but now the rare games get their own special prices above $8. I can still get cheap Atari 2600 there and cheap records and CDs so I'm happy.

Actually I believe +all+ the Funcolands closed, and the one I used to go to in Des Moines was the last one left. They've since been converted to GameStop or Gamers or whatever bought them out or was the parent company.

$8 for certain rare titles would definitely be a good deal, but $8 for a common game is insane. If your town has a Gamers or a Game X-Change or a pawn shop not run by a greedy prick, you can definitely do better.

Hmm yeah maybe prices are on the decline and i just piched up a bomb wall defender for $1.25!! i was expecting competition off ebay but i got it dirt cheap, appears only casual buyers saw it and didnt think it was worth it hahaha