IGNORED

Just scored a little Mr Do action

arcadebasement

Mini-cab (not cabaret).

It was advertised as having a dodgy monitor and no manual. I bought it with the intention of whacking in a Donkey Kong board and maybe a new monitor. The keys for the back were hanging in the coin door (woot!) and I actually found the documention inside. A quick trip around the rgb/brightness/focus etc pots and I also moved the v raster jumper from middle to D (three pins) which almost centered the screen perfectly. and I have a near-perfect working machine - no burn in either. Frankly I'd give this one a 7.5 out of 10 and with the new lick of black paint I've put on the (working) coin mechs it's an 8.

Only issue left is minor - the coin mechs work but don't light up. Simple, things me, I'll whack in new bulbs great... it takes 44/47s which I have in abundance... except - check out the pic. Notice anything. Where's the wiring? Lol.

So first question for the pros. Do you think it'd be okay to splice into the wiring after the molex connector and hook it up straight to the bulbs? Would I need to add any resitance. I guess I could just go ahead and try it for the hell of it. What's the worst thing that could happen eh? :D

[edit] Nahh - all did was give a credit on startup. Tried new bulbs, even tried connecting the spades directly to the bulb. I guess, if I'd have thought about it, that wiring set up SHOULD give a credit as it's completing the circuit. Have to find alterative power.

post-10947-1162312151_thumb.jpg

Edited by arcadebasement

Second question. This was sold to me as an original and not jamma.

Could anyone ID this connector? (attached) The game has copyright Taito on thes screen but I'm not sure how much weight you can place on that. The board is huge, bigger than a computer's mobo. [ edit ] MRD-1102 I guess indicates it's probably the real - second revision?

(Additional edit) I purchased the Asteroids high score save kit from these guys http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#HSS sometime ago and they're legit. Would their advertised Mr Do to jamma as shown below allow me to add any jamma game?

http://www.arcadeshop.com/pics/mr-do-jamma-adpt-amp.jpg

I'm thinking sometime down the road I may wish to whack in a Donkey kong - could this be vertually plug n play?

Any other pics or info you need just ask. Many thanks for any help.

post-10947-1162312334_thumb.jpg

Edited by arcadebasement

I'll get a pic of the cab soon - hopefully have it down the bar tonight, maybe tomorrow. It's a fairly generic looking cab - old school fake-wood vinyl like on the original froggers. Scooped glare shield with no marquee. Haven't seen another one like it and a fairly extensive search hasn't revealed whether it's original. The instruction card looks right and the seller claimed the bezel was 'factory installed'. The controls are drilled through the glass (I say glass, it's perspex, but I was told it was originally glass when the unit was new in 82).

(Ahh found one, kinda looks like this - colony-7-mini.jpg

I love Mr Do - it's one of those rare games where strategy is king... go for the fruit, go for the bad guys or go for the 'extra'? It's up to you how you finish a level. Fab! :D

Thanks for the info on the jamma - maybe DK or similar will just slot in then?

Edited by arcadebasement

Hi Bill,

You're right! In fact armed with that info I found a pic on this very site

http://www.atariage.com/features/shows/hou...4-Images/12.jpg

Weird thing is on mine there's no CP to speak of - the controls are drilled through the perspex which is the full depth of the cab. This results in the monitor being more centered than the space invaders pic which for tall guys like me means less bending down to see the top of the screen..

Edited by arcadebasement

Those are cool looking cabs, seems like Taito made a lot of smaller (non caberet) cabs. Theres a guy in my neighborhood that just scored an auction haul of about 20 games. There was a small Taito cab that had been converted to a KOF 96. I really wanted it but the dude didn't budge on his price, he wanted $450 for it with one broken controller, no keys and a questioable monitor....good luck. I told him to call me in a few months when he still has it and I'll give him $300 which I feel is beyond fair.

BTW - He also had a Commando with a BLOWN monitor he wanted $450 for.....what a joke :roll:

Those are cool looking cabs, seems like Taito made a lot of smaller (non caberet) cabs. Theres a guy in my neighborhood that just scored an auction haul of about 20 games. There was a small Taito cab that had been converted to a KOF 96. I really wanted it but the dude didn't budge on his price, he wanted $450 for it with one broken controller, no keys and a questioable monitor....good luck. I told him to call me in a few months when he still has it and I'll give him $300 which I feel is beyond fair.

BTW - He also had a Commando with a BLOWN monitor he wanted $450 for.....what a joke :roll:

$450? What? Lol. Wish him luck. :D

So tonight I put the Mr do fella downstairs and took some pics. I must admit I really like this wee cab. And I did a great job on the coin mechs if I do say so myself. :D

post-10947-1162444332_thumb.jpg

Edited by arcadebasement

Who makes those cabs (or who MADE them I should say). I liove the looks of them....

Had I read a bit more in the thread... I'd have seen Tatio made this style. I am thinking I may go this route now when I make my MAME... although I will miss having a marquee

Edited by EricDeLee