IGNORED

FS: Atari 2600 Air Lock Prototype/Sampler Cartridge

intro9

I am placing up for sale an Atari 2600 AIR LOCK Prototype/Sampler cartridge I found in my travels.

I have tested it, and it works perfectly. Doesnt seem to be any immediately noticeable differences between this and the released version, But I honestly havent delved very deep.

Attached are photo's of the proto.

I currently have a high offer of $120 shipped for the item, and I'll probably wind up selling to the high bidder on Thursday. So if interested, let me know!

post-5789-1162954139_thumb.jpgpost-5789-1162954156_thumb.jpgpost-5789-1162954165_thumb.jpg

Sincerely,

Frank

Weird? How come they didn't use a Data Age case?

I've never seen one like that, the Data Age proto's I've seen always say "Demonstration Cartridge" across the top and there in a Data Age case.

I'm no proto expert though :)

Absolutely no clue whatsoever, it says "Sample" printed in red across the front. Not sure where it came from to be totally honest, picked it up as a flea market find a few years back.

Truth be told, it looks like the whole thing was slapped together onto a Combat cartridge. However, the label's look very professional and odd to say the least. Perhaps the in house people used Combat's to send out as test cartridges? or could it be some kind of a sham? I don't know why somebody would go through all the trouble to make that whacky stuff on it.

However I guess I could take it apart and check out the circuit board. I wouldnt want to sell something that wasnt genuine. Any input out there on the possible origins of this cartridge? Has anybody ever seen labelling such as this, or the use of a Combat cart in a sample cartridge? I thought maybe a very old attempt at pirating, but it would make absolutely no sense why somebody would put "SAMPLE" on it with a red stamper and pirate a game such as Air Lock ;) hehe

Any input from an expert?

I've seen Data Age protos that look like that. I'd say it's legit, although without seeing the circuit board I can't say for sure.

Tempest

I appreciate the information, I was starting to doubt it a little bit. I'd hate to risk ruining the labels by digging the thing open. But I'm pretty sold that it's legit, it really looks legit to me, and judging from where I got it from and how long ago I dug it up, I can't imagine anybody from that time period would have anything to gain from making something that looked so much like a prototype cartridge.

And you are as legitimate a source as anybody, so your opinion matters to me in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks!

Frank

Also, I'm selling this tonight at around 7PM to the highest bidder. Right now that bid is $140, so shoot me an email at intro9@comcast.net if your interested.

Also, I have a Keystone Kapers Atari 5200 Prototype here too, but I cannot get it to boot. Would anybody be interested in that ?

I've seen Data Age protos that look like that. I'd say it's legit, although without seeing the circuit board I can't say for sure

Tempest

I appreciate the information, I was starting to doubt it a little bit. I'd hate to risk ruining the labels by digging the thing open. But I'm pretty sold that it's legit, it really looks legit to me, and judging from where I got it from and how long ago I dug it up, I can't imagine anybody from that time period would have anything to gain from making something that looked so much like a prototype cartridge.

And you are as legitimate a source as anybody, so your opinion matters to me in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks!

Frank

I've seen Data Age protos that look like that. I'd say it's legit, although without seeing the circuit board I can't say for sure.

Tempest

Thanks!

Frank

I have to admit, I thought it was a fake since it was in the Atari brand case and looked so different than the ones I've seen but like I said...I'm NO expert.

If Tempest says it's legit I'm sure it is....he would know :)