IGNORED

XL/XE compatible Atari 800?

Tempest

No Black Box here, not for lack of trying to get one though.

What I do have to TEST with.

IDE 2.0 +

MyIDE

MIO 1mb MG66 version.

AtariMAX 8mb carts

SIO2SD Atari8 maestro verson

SIO2SD Nuxx

SIO2USB

SIO2PC

xf551

xf351

1050happy

1050Archiver

1050us doubler

1050 stock

lots of carts

A SIDE cart if it ever arrives,

I have the next few weeks free to play.

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

...hopefully an update for FDISK is around the corner...

Yes it is - to coincide with new new SDX drivers for SIDE and MyIDE, APT BIOS for KMK/JZ interface, and PBI ROM for Incognito and Ultimate 1MB. This despite total lack of feeback on beta version for IDE Plus. ;)

THE LAST WORD uses the HELP+number key to view the online help.

ok so I had to create a crib sheet for THE LAST WORD because I haven't been able to find the 'HELP' key on the Atari800 keyboard.

On recent versions, press <Ctrl+0> - works the same as the <Help> key. :)

LW help files are just text files, so you can view them with <Ctrl+J> or with <V> on the disk menu.

Thanks for this info.. :thumbsup: ..

Who is doing the beta testing :_( I haven't seen any notice's about having beta software available.??

I would sure like to see the 'SAVE' Incognito configuration screen be able to really save.

Edited by rdea6

No Black Box here, not for lack of trying to get one though.

Robert

I do have a fully speced black box and 3 800's willing to try it out.

If you send it to me, I will test it with the BB for you :)

However, i have a feeling my 800 will not part with such an upgrade and my negotiation skills to persuade it to do so are severely lacking :grin:

James

• Like 1

i highly doubt that BB will work with this due to PBI conflict with internal PBI device (BB is not PBI device, it just connects to CART/ECI ports)

This has nothing to do with the PBI conflicts, but I thought I should correct the statement that the BB is not a PBI device, I have used one with an 800XL. No adapter required, there is a header on the Black Box for connecting a PBI ribbon cable.

I believe the Black Box was the first parallel device which could be connected to either the CART/ECI ports or to the PBI port.

again - as Gary said ;)

BB is at design level not compilant to PBI device standard Atari wrote, and thus its not regarded by me as PBI device and it will be in conflict (at hardware level) with any compilant PBI device

$D1FF	240	PDVS (Mirror of $D1C0)
	read interrupt source
	bit 0	
	bit 1	
	bit 2	HC switch
	bit 3 menu switch
	write	bank select
	$04	disk routines

and this soleyly excludes any PBI compatibility at all

I have mine installed; Thank You Sebastian another great project!!! I tore my 800 completely apart cleaned it inside and out, even removed every key and cleaned the board, Installed the Incognito Board and only reassembled enough to do a quick power on test. I booted into xl/xe mode with sparta dos . I seen the clock come up and get recognized and then the Sparta Dos prompt appeared. Its past my bed time tonight as 5am comes pretty quickly, so any further testing will be tomorrow.

I will post some pic's but just so you know I did not use the same wire colors, I used what I had on hand.

One word of note the instructions say to put the grey pin plug into Z102 but from the pic I seen I think its is actually Z101, is this correct?

I swapped the Black and Blue wires, now where is RD4 and RD5, do I need to change the resistor and what values for each; I have seen several different values mentioned what is working best? I am not sure if we need to install them if we have already swapped the blue and black or not? and until I install them I should not use cartridges correct?

Well tonight's testing went well all 2 minutes of it. It was basically just a smoke test, and no smoke came out so all is good up until now.

best regards

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

One word of note the instructions say to put the grey pin plug into Z102 but from the pic I seen I think its is actually Z101, is this correct?

I swapped the Black and Blue wires, now where is RD4 and RD5, do I need to change the resistor and what values for each; I have seen several different values mentioned what is working best? I am not sure if we need to install them if we have already swapped the blue and black or not? and until I install them I should not use cartridges correct?

Well tonight's testing went well all 2 minutes of it. It was basically just a smoke test, and no smoke came out so all is good up until now.

best regards

Robert

Z101 is correct, that's the 74LS42 IC socket...

I just read through the personal messages and I think Sebastian was tired when he mentioned Z102, as he did mention Z101 with the 74LS42 chip a few other times...

I just finished wiring up mine, now to reassemble and test :)

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

if Jay says its Z101 then probably it is ;) I wrote this from memory, but its marked on schematics as "Emulation socket goes in place of Z101 (74LS42) on motherboard"

as for best values - i simply have 2k2 resistors installed as i have pile of them - so far without any problems, but then again - i don't have many cartridges - one to be precise, others are self-made

Sebastian

if Jay says its Z101 then probably it is ;) I wrote this from memory, but its marked on schematics as "Emulation socket goes in place of Z101 (74LS42) on motherboard"

as for best values - i simply have 2k2 resistors installed as i have pile of them - so far without any problems, but then again - i don't have many cartridges - one to be precise, others are self-made

Sebastian

Where is the best place to pick up RD4 and RD5, I read that RD4 is pin A of the cart slot while RD5 is pin 14. But I haven't physicaly looked for these on the board yet. Are these the same resistors the blue and the black are soldered too in pic DSC02335? I am heading out the door to work and will pick up 2 2k2 resistors tonight on my way home.

Robert

I swapped the rd4 and rd5 resistors for 1.5k ohm.

Then with the settings of XL/XE BIOS, 1088Rambo, SDX Enabled, SIDE disabled I tried the following cartridges.

Star Wars Return of the Jedi Runs FINE

Star trek Runs FINE

Serpentine Runs FINE

FROGGER Runs FINE

STAR RAIDERS Runs FINE

DONKEY KONG Runs FINE

DEFENDER Runs FINE

Super Breakout Runs (Couldn't Move, I think it requires paddles)

Missle Command Runs FINE

Basic Runs FINE

Computer Chess Runs FINE

James Bond 007 Runs FINE

Wizard of War Runs FINE (Couldn't move at first then remembered you had to plug into port 2)

Centipede Runs FINE

Asteroids Runs FINE

Pac Man Runs FINE

Popeye Runs FINE

Kids on Keys Runs FINE

Q-Bert Runs FINE

Qix Runs FINE

Music Composer Runs FINE

Miner 2049er Runs FINE (Really Touchy think dirty contacts)

Star Raiders Runs FINE

Following would not run under the above configuration for one reason or another.

Cavers of Mars Black Screen, Changed to Colleen and runs Fine.

River Raid Looks ok for about 10 seconds then river turns yellow, switched to colleen and xl/xe with 1088 rambo off then it ran ok

Eastern Front 1941 Black screen. Changed to colleen ran ok

Math Mileage Black Screen, changed to Colleen to no go. (Possible bad contacts)

Now I have to figure out how to operate and configure SIDE, so I can give it a real work out.

Ran About an hour and xilinx stayed cool.

Best Regards

Robert

For SIDE, the CF card needs to be formatted in Fat32 using a PC first, then plop into the Incognito (powered off), then power up and use FDisk from SDX to partition it, then FORMAT in SDX to fomat the Atari partitions. Finally, Format again in a PC to format the adjusted Fat32 partition size...

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

For SIDE, the CF card needs to be formatted in Fat32 using a PC first, then plop into the Incognito (powered off), then power up and use FDisk from SDX to partition it, then FORMAT in SDX to fomat the Atari partitions. Finally, Format again in a PC to format the adjusted Fat32 partition size...

Jay

Thanks for the tip - this will be my 1st use of SIDE. Hoping to get the stand alone cart before my b-day in mid-August.

• Like 1

I didn't change Mine but the 'few' carts that I do own have worked ok..

Mostly I have Language carts. OSS Basic xe-xl-action these work ok for me..

All of the grey carts I have play ok

Atari carts run ok..

But, You should wait for candle to say YEA/NAH to leaving the resistors alone.

I hope I don't have to open my Atari800 again also....

why not to open them?

mices start running in every direction?

as for resistors - i would replace them - some carts have 5V lines tied directly to RD4/RD5 signals, and if greater value works for xl/xe series, why not use it? its just waste of energy (me being "green" ha ha.. good one..)

Installed 2.7k resistors. All carts now working fine, including sic! cart and 8mb Atarimax cart.

The last word looks great on an 800, shame my space bar is knackered

Edited by mimo

Installed 2.7k resistors. All carts now working fine, including sic! cart and 8mb Atarimax cart.

I tried to get my Sic!cart into my Atari800 and it wouldn't fit.

Pull the case apart and mount with the parts facing you :)

Jay

• Like 1

I tried to get my Sic!cart into my Atari800 and it wouldn't fit.

Pull the case apart and mount with the parts facing you :)

Jay

Same with the MegaMax Modul, have to remove it from the case, but works with plain PCB in the slot...

sloopy.