IGNORED

XL/XE compatible Atari 800?

Tempest

AtariGeezer&Sloopy....Thanks for the info..about the CARTS.

other news...

Screen off

INCOGNITO

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 74092.7757 B/sek

DOS reading: 81810.7793 B/sek

DOS average: 77951.7745 B/sek

MAXFLASH MYIDE

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 83551.428 B/sek

DOS reading: 93498.0266 B/sek

DOS average: 88524.7273 B/sek

SIDE

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 81810.7733 B/sek

DOS reading: 95778.4663 B/sek

DOS average: 88794.6198 B/sek

Edited by rdea6

AtariGeezer&Sloopy....Thanks for the info..about the CARTS.

other news...

Screen off

INCOGNITO

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 74092.7757 B/sek

DOS reading: 81810.7793 B/sek

DOS average: 77951.7745 B/sek

MAXFLASH MYIDE

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 83551.428 B/sek

DOS reading: 93498.0266 B/sek

DOS average: 88524.7273 B/sek

SIDE

Read-write test v.3.8

© 1994-2011 by KMK/DLT

Testing disk D7:

DOS writing: 81810.7733 B/sek

DOS reading: 95778.4663 B/sek

DOS average: 88794.6198 B/sek

F-SICK!

If you relate Total RAM-to-TransferSpeed ratio as a "figure of merit", the little Atari is clocking a [11.13-to-1] ratio (the lower, the better).

In contrast, a typical modern PC / Laptop equipped with 4,096 Mbytes of RAM, and bursting at 80Mbytes/sec, equates to approx. [51.20-to-1] ratio (!!!)

Or put in other terms: the little Atari could fill all of incognito's available memory board in (roughly) 11.13 secs, whereas a modern PC would take 51.20 secs to fill its available ram with today's typical SATA drives' transfer rate.

It seems to me that gram-by-gram, byte-for-byte, the little Atari is working its ass off.

I've skimmed through the thread and it looks amazing, another top quality bit of kit from Candle..

Do we know a cost for it and apart from needing an 800 which I have what else do I need to for this kit to be fully working out of the box?

I know, I'm skint but I can dream :)

If I win the lottery I'm buying Candle!!!

I'll rent him out to you lot for a price ;)

Don't worry Candle, I have a lovely wife and daughter, your neither regions are safe!

Edited by Mclaneinc

I know what I paid for the prototype, and that was a great price. I don't want to comment on what Sebastianmay charge for the real thing.

You will need a soldering iron, 8 pieces of wire 2 resistors (unless the production boards differ) and a cf card.

About half an hour to fit

I soo want to do this to my 800, it sits there doing nothing because I use the XL for almost everything especially because of the compressed items needing the extra ram.

I'll await the official price

The soldering should be ok as its normal sized pads and components (no surface mount mini stuff :)

Never brought a CF card but I imagine they are nor that expensive..

Damn, I'm staring to get my hopes up :)

There are 10 prototypes being tested at the moment. From my personal testing I can say that Candle has done an awesome job, pretty much everything that has been thrown at it has worked so far. Simple to install, only 4 wires (currently) replacement of two resistors and removal of one IC. I think there may be a further 2 wires to solder on in the future.

As to a full release, Candle will have to answer that question, but why make a prototype if you are not going to release the product?!

• Like 1

it wouldn't be the only prototype i've made that would not have released product...

seriously, i'm waiting for ultimate1mb boards to start shipping out so i could gauge intrest on this one

i don't know if there is potential to make this a product, or it should be treated as curiousity

we're looking at roughly $90 (due to board size mostly) price range here, and this is a bit prohibiting for many people here

this board might be feature rich and work like a charm, but in the end of the day, we have our lives and families, and need to support them, and not to spend every dollar we make on atari, so, i'm not expecting much of intrest in this one

There are 10 prototypes being tested at the moment. From my personal testing I can say that Candle has done an awesome job, pretty much everything that has been thrown at it has worked so far. Simple to install, only 4 wires (currently) replacement of two resistors and removal of one IC. I think there may be a further 2 wires to solder on in the future.

As to a full release, Candle will have to answer that question, but why make a prototype if you are not going to release the product?!

I agree, I have not found anything that did not work, due to an issue with this board. Things that did have issues, were usually because they didn't like a certain OS like river raid or caverns of mars. I would double check those in one of my other Atari's and verify things happen the same way.

Hardware wise everything works, I have tested ICD P:R: Connector, Two different SDRIVES, one had issues with CAPS not and Incognito problem. Happy 1050's Super archiver 1050, XF-551, xf-351.

I think there is eventually going to be an update for SIDE, I have only played with the FAT32 part of side a little bit, I need to find a way to get to the FAT32 files a little bit easier then the way I have been getting to them. Currently I run mount a ATR in my SDRIVE and that loads what I need to view the FAT32 partition. Must be an Easier way.

I have been slowly ordering parts to start testing the PBI, but not sure what I need to run on the PBI. I mean, I have PBI MIO and HDD's and Incognito already has the SIDE and 1mb memory built in so both of the PBI device I have are already in there. I need to find a new PBI device that Incognito doesn't already built in. :) The parts I have ordered are a 50 pin ribbon cable and a 50pin ribbon cable to 50 pin external SCSI panel mount connector.

I am currently gearing up for my busiest time of year, I will still be working/playing with the hard ware for another couple weeks, but then will be ripping out and installing new Robots at GM KTP in Kentucky for summer shut down, so will be ultra busy.

If another batch gets made I would probably purchase another one for my spare 800.

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

(...)

we're looking at roughly $90 (due to board size mostly) price range here, and this is a bit prohibiting for many people here

(...)

Prohibiting? That's AFFORDABLE, considering:

1. This is THE BOARD of the century, capable of unleashing virtually all of the potential my JM-800's has to offer.

2. If you add up the significan amount of useless / impulse-purchases of flea-market carcasses, obscure SW & HW upgrades, and >$100 unfinished (and buggy) proto-carts that roam this forum, I believe A LOT of people could easily buy this board here by simply thinking carefully. (Just consider the top-quality Nuxx-drive, which fetched U.S. $150.00 and it sold like fresh french-bakery).

Bring it on!

I will commit to two. I agree with the comment above that this is the main electronic upgrade that this small Atari community has been waiting for.

It may be because Atari 800 machines are more plentiful in the US. I could see this being less popular in Europe where the later Ataris were more readily available.

Honestly, if they were $100 each, I'd consider buying 5 or more. Not because I want them, but because in the years I've been reading these forums, I've noticed a trend. It goes like this:

- Neat hardware item is produced in a limited run. Bunches of members jump in at the right time and maybe a dozen or two get produced.

- Several people read the thread too late, sometimes months too late. They want in, but the build of the hardware is done.

- Several new members, new collectors, or collectors shifting to another system take an interest in the forums, read about the neat hardware, and ask around if anyone is selling their device or if someone can ever put together another run.

- Sometimes a new run is produced, sometime it isn't.

- Nobody ever seems to produce any spares for sale in an online store or informally to other collectors.

At $100 each, I'd consider buying the spares and offering them at a markup to latecomers. I would think an online store like AtariMax or Video 61 would be interested in something like this too.

• Like 1

For online stores you really want something that's plug and play, ie no modifications or expertise required.

About the only exception is video mods, but people buying those know already that they need to modify the guts of their machine.

One possible way to extend the market is if it was also 400 compatible. But I imagine we'd be talking a ribbon cable to OS Rom socket and a fair spagetti maze to get the rest of the signals required.

I will commit to two. I agree with the comment above that this is the main electronic upgrade that this small Atari community has been waiting for.

It may be because Atari 800 machines are more plentiful in the US. I could see this being less popular in Europe where the later Ataris were more readily available.

Honestly, if they were $100 each, I'd consider buying 5 or more. Not because I want them, but because in the years I've been reading these forums, I've noticed a trend. It goes like this:

- Neat hardware item is produced in a limited run. Bunches of members jump in at the right time and maybe a dozen or two get produced.

- Several people read the thread too late, sometimes months too late. They want in, but the build of the hardware is done.

- Several new members, new collectors, or collectors shifting to another system take an interest in the forums, read about the neat hardware, and ask around if anyone is selling their device or if someone can ever put together another run.

- Sometimes a new run is produced, sometime it isn't.

- Nobody ever seems to produce any spares for sale in an online store or informally to other collectors.

At $100 each, I'd consider buying the spares and offering them at a markup to latecomers. I would think an online store like AtariMax or Video 61 would be interested in something like this too.

I am hopefully gonna remedy this... my sio2pc-usb in a sio hood, i got 40 initial orders, recv'd 20 more as they were being built, and 10 in the last month or so... but ordered 100 PCB's for them... I still have all but the FTDI and SIO conns for those 30, which are a simple 5day orders...

Same with VBXE, 20 were ordered but i have the PCB's for ~40 of them... once I am doing building/shipping the pre-paid ones, i will build/sell the extras and order more parts as needed to continue selling...

I am trying to get to the point so that anything I build, I will continue to build while there is atleast 'some' interest...

sloopy.