IGNORED

Stella Gets a Lobotomy

Chris++

A parody game I designed for the Commodore 64, called Stella Gets a Lobotomy, has been uploaded to OC&GS (along with a few other C-64 originals -- but I shouldn't mention those, or this message might get moved to another forum). The Stella game satirizes a handful of classic VCS carts, but you'll need a C-64 emulator to run the files. Take a look! (Please? I've never had much of an audience for my programming endeavors before...) Thanks ahead of time for letting me know what you think...

http://www.geocities.com/flynnwins/c64.htm

CF

Well, since no one else seems to be commenting, I gave it a shot. It's pretty cool, but I was hoping for a little more in the way of gameplay (Is there even a way to lose?)... I'm guess this was meant as more of a slide show than an actual game though.

... I also got a kick out of Super Space Carnage :)

--Zero

It would be interesting to see an actual merger of all the Atari games though... the game could be based around a multi-character adventure style game (Remember Maniac Mansion?) where you could alternately control Indiana Jones, The Adventure Dot, and Pitfall Harry... in different spots, you'd have to fly space ships (Galaga, Asteroids, etc), drive tanks (Combat, Front Line), and cars (Indy 500, etc)... find various items (Chalice, Prizes from Pitfall, Crown from Mountain King, etc), run through a variety of mazes (Dungeons from Dark Chambers, Space Station from Secret Quest, etc), and interact with a variety of characters who might (or might not) help you... such as Yar, E.T., Panama Joe, etc. I don't know if a fusion of all this would work properly... it might just make everything a huge confusing mess... but I'm sure pretty much everyone on this board would think it was great :)

--Zero

It would be interesting to see an actual merger of all the Atari games though... the game could be based around a multi-character adventure style game (Remember Maniac Mansion?) where you could alternately control Indiana Jones, The Adventure Dot, and Pitfall Harry... in different spots, you'd have to fly space ships (Galaga, Asteroids, etc), drive tanks (Combat, Front Line), and cars (Indy 500, etc)... find various items (Chalice, Prizes from Pitfall, Crown from Mountain King, etc), run through a variety of mazes (Dungeons from Dark Chambers, Space Station from Secret Quest, etc), and interact with a variety of characters who might (or might not) help you... such as Yar, E.T., Panama Joe, etc. I don't know if a fusion of all this would work properly... it might just make everything a huge confusing mess... but I'm sure pretty much everyone on this board would think it was great :)

--Zero

That sounds like an interesting idea for an RPG...

Okay, I revived this thread because hardly anyone told me what they think of my games. I know they're not .BIN files for the 2600, but the interactive Stella parody is directly 2600-related, and it might amuse you greatly for a little while if you take the time to start up a C-64 emulator. So let me know what you think; even a direct "bug off! We don't care!!" is better than nothing.

Regarding screenshots, I don't have the wherewithall to display them anyway. Besides, they'd kill a few of the jokes.

CF

Love to give ya some feedback man. But I can't get it running on my CCS64 emulator. All I get is the text intro, with some messed up sound clicks. After the text it just stops.... Mind you, I am an old Spectrum user so I have always liked to keep an healthy distance to anything C64 related... :D

...Let 'em get un-lazy if they want to see the games

...because hardly anyone told me what they think of my games...  ...take the time to start up a C-64 emulator...

...Well, thanks anyway for all the support.  :(

So you want it now and you want it your way only, right? :thumbsdown:

Before I load a C64 emulator that's apparently not 100% perfect, how about some  s c r e e n    s h o t s? :roll:

ò¿ó          smile_to_atari.gif

No, kid. Read the whole thread before getting nasty. Screen shots would ruin some of the gags. I also don't have the capabilities to provide screen shots. And the C-64 emulator need not be 100% perfect; it just needs to work properly.

Bad mood today? You're usually smarter than that, Jeff.

CF

I've never heard of Novell or ZENworks. Regardless, for those of you who are unwilling to do the homework necessary to figure out what works with your computer and what doesn't (and I mean that in the nicest way possible...really...), the following emulator works on a number of my friends' PCs. If your computer doesn't run my games through this emulator, then your computer's lacking in something, not the emulator. It's 100% accurate according to sixteen testers who like my games, and, hopefully, counting.

www.computerbrains.com/ccs64

Enjoy.

CF

I don't know...I saw the thing running at my friend Adam's house, and it played my games.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a hell of a lot about emulation (it still appears to be, as far as I can discern, black magic), but the OS your computer's using, the other programs you have open at the time, and other aspects might affect the emulation. At least, that's what I've been told. But who knows what's wrong with your, my, or anyone's computer when it won't run something at any given moment? We call all of this stuff "technology," when all we really want is something that works. Odd, that.

Anyway, thanks for looking at the games, all of you who did. I appreciate it. Thanks also to all of those who sent me e-mails, although I still have a hard time matching up your AA user names with your real names.

CF

The emulator I mentioned above is "My favorite C-64 emulator, which works with all known program and data files," according to the webmaster of Lemon64.com (a major authority on C-64 stuff). One guy, so far, has been kind enough to inform us that it's not working well with my games. Surely mine can't be different from everything else ever written for the machine! Anyone else wanna be helpful and see if they load? Just this once?

If not, then I've found another C-64 emulator with a good reputation, called VICE. You can find it here:

http://viceteam.bei.t-online.de/

The Windows version is "very easy to use," according to the intro. I downloaded and ran this on my PC at work (with a mere 256K of RAM), and my games work smoothly. So, there ya go. I've done the homework. I'd like a little commentary, good or bad. Please? I mean, just imagine: Chris shuts up about his funny Stella game! No more posts on this thread from me! Utopia, you say? Not at all! Just play my stuff and let me know what you think! WOW! Nothing could be easier!

-- Chris, yet again