IGNORED

Forecast and News Channel

MegaManFan

From what I've read, that should happen this Saturday

Just read that myself a few minutes ago. It'd be nice if the system update would also allow those of us that are bandwidth-challenged (that is to say, us poor dialup folks) to log into the Wii Shop so we can get some VC lovin' too.

But I know that ain't gonna happen. :P :ponder:

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Just read that myself a few minutes ago. It'd be nice if the system update would also allow those of us that are bandwidth-challenged (that is to say, us poor dialup folks) to log into the Wii Shop so we can get some VC lovin' too.

I thought you managed to get your Wii online over dial up? :?

I thought you managed to get your Wii online over dial up? :?

Oh I did get it online. But the Wii Shop Channel doesn't work for dialup folks still. You can go to the channel, it'll start loading, and then the Wii just stops communicating with the router. So while I can do most things online (like see the Forecast Channel, update, etc.), I still can't get on the Shop and buy VC games or other downloads.

'tis a shame, really. :sad:

Anyone try the news channel yet? I hear it went live today.

YES! I noticed that my Wii was glowing this morning and got all excited. So I checked my messages, and there it was: A new update for my Wii. I hit the Update button and a few minutes later I had a new channel. :D

In reality, it's not anything special. The front screen is a bunch of news categories. You have to drill down to each category to get a listing of the news titles. Clicking on a title (predicatably) brings up the story on the left-hand side of the screen. On the right side is a view of the Earth with the location of the story highlighted. (Kind of neat, even if it is mostly useless.)

Besides viewing a list of news items, you can also kick it into "Slideshow" mode. Slideshow mode places the title of the current story and any associated picture at the bottom of the screen. The top is used to show the location of the story on a virtual earth. You can then thumb through the stories with the D-Pad, jumping around the Earth with each story title you view.

All in all, it's a neat service. My only real complaint is that there's no front page stories. You *must* drill down into a category, which means that you might miss important stories if you don't read the correct category.

If anyone would like screenshots, I can take a few and post them when I get home tonight?

Also, did anyone else notice that the update adds "Operations Manual" to the menu that pops up when you press the "Home" button?

Interesting...I have WiiConnect24 on..but I don't have any messages from the Big N today. I guess when I get a chance, I will turn my Wii on and then check out the updates.

As for the operations manual. I would say that is coming up because you were in the news channel at the time. The operations manual is an online guide on how to use the current channel you have selected. All the VC games do this as well. Opera doesn't, but then it has its own built in guide from the main page of the opera browser.

Speaking of which, I wanted to state that we had a thread earlier regarding lock up issues and the Wii. My Wii only seems to lock up now when using the Opera browser, and lately that has been once for every 2 hours or so of browsing with it.

In fact I just found out why I didn't have a glowing Wii this morning. The Wii locked up on the browser last night and I just turned it off manually. But this also shut down WiiConnect24...so..there you go.

As a side note, you can access local news...just not how I thought. It doesn't track your home zip like the weather channel. Instead, when you select a news article, there will be a map like the weather globe on the right side of the display highlighting where the news article pertains. If you click on the map, there will be highlighted cities on the globe with the number of news articles local on each city.

Edited by De Butcher