IGNORED

new NES 72-Pin connector

Wolf9545

Sorry if this has already been posted, tried searching for nes connector but came up with so many non-related results. Also sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

My original NES, the front loading one, has the typical flashing screen problem; can play games sometimes and other times screen will flash. I have read on other websites that the best item to replace is the 72 pin connector inside the system. What I am wondering is if anyone has ordered this before and from where? Also, what were their experiences with the website; I'm just looking for the best website with the best price to get it from.

I ordered mine from MCM Electronics but this was long before they appeared on eBay, back when MCM had decent replacement 72 pins connector. Right now? Dunno, I've heard bad things about the newer version and also those on eBay are cheap.

Don't bother with gold plated connector, it's not really worth the extra.

First question: do you have a World Championship cart?

Head over to benheck.com, which has instructions for making the NES so that it will never blink again. It will cause the NES to not work with the NWC cart, though.

After that, you can re bend the pins in the connector you have. Those two things together might not make your NES work perfect, but it'll work a LOT more often and a lot easier.

I've only done the pin-bending method on two of my decks with mild success. One works well just about always, the other only so-so. I did disable the lock-out chip on one of them and it does stop the blinking, but still doesn't always load however. You might as well try to refurbish your original connector since its free, then decide if you need a new connector or not.

Anyway, a couple months ago I found a NES top-loader at a thrift and stopped messing with the front loader. Only downside is that I'm now using RF instead of A/V.

I was just thinking getting a new connector because that way it's all new; new contact, clean contacts, etc. I found a site that, with shipping, will be $10.

https://ssl.perfora.net/electricquarter.com...0ad3afee5cdd0d8

New connectors are the way to go,

You will also need a security screw bit for opening up the unit, make sure to get one if you havent already.

Edited by ATARIeric

Sorry if this has already been posted, tried searching for nes connector but came up with so many non-related results. Also sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

My original NES, the front loading one, has the typical flashing screen problem; can play games sometimes and other times screen will flash. I have read on other websites that the best item to replace is the 72 pin connector inside the system. What I am wondering is if anyone has ordered this before and from where? Also, what were their experiences with the website; I'm just looking for the best website with the best price to get it from.

How about 8 bit classics?? I bought mine there and it works like new. A link to the page is below.

8 bit classics new NES 72-pin cartridge connector

Hope it helps,

-Derek

Like someone else said $20 is too much for the connector.

I like I won't try disabling the lockout chip until I get a new connector just to see if that completely solves the problem. Thanks for everyones help. I might just get it from that site I listed. I believe a site is better than ebay just because you have a better chance of getting it new than just someone saying it's new.

I personally prefer to repair the original Nintendo-made 72-pin connector, but other people prefer to simply replace the connector with a new third-party part. If you do choose to replace the connector, I suggest that you keep the original connector because it can be repaired and some people believe that the a repaired Nintendo-made connector works better than a new third-party connector.

But can that conclusion be proven. Belief is one thing, and eveyone is entitled to whatever...I am sure that first party hardware = better when new. Or if you can find the company that produced the original connectors, and some how magically find stock... (that is if Nintendo farmed out the work on that end). But when dealing with a cleaned up original connector, or a new connector... most people probably aren't going to care as long as it works well.

Once you clean/repair/replace your 72 pin... give your carts a solid cleaning before popping them in!

• 4 weeks later...

So I ordered the part from NintendoRepairHut and it came really fast; even with the slowest shipping. I put it in and it does seem to help. I now just have to go through my NES games and clean all of them. I wish there was an easy way of cleaning them instead of using a q-tip and cleaning solution.

So I ordered the part from NintendoRepairHut and it came really fast; even with the slowest shipping. I put it in and it does seem to help. I now just have to go through my NES games and clean all of them. I wish there was an easy way of cleaning them instead of using a q-tip and cleaning solution.

This should do the trick.

post-4639-1168722580_thumb.jpg

Here's the link to Ben Heckendorn's guide on disabling the lockout chip.

If you break the chip leg in the process and ever need a replacement, the lockout chip from any gray Nintendo made NES cart will do.

You don't even need a lockout chip - I say just remove it. Most people don't recommend that because simply because it disables the reset button. Well, the reset button goes to the lockout chip, and the lockout chip sends a reset signal to the CPU and PPU...and the lockout chip uses one of the invertors on the 74HCU04...so just install 2 jumper wires in place of the lockout chip to run the signal from the reset button into the invertor, and then to run the invertor's output to the CPU and PPU. You may need to remove the 2MHz crystal. It's easier than it sounds - trust me! If anyone wants more info, I'll provide the exact points to connect the 2 jumper wires to.